Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 03:56 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,228,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And we're not interested in YOUR speculation.
It isn't speculation that more options means more market. That's reality.
Quote:
Any vehicle can transport people. The reason to do it in an EV is to remove tailpipe emissions.
Transporting them to the power plant.
Quote:
OF course it doesn't TO YOU. You don't even understand why the EVs exist in the FIRST place.
The self righteous NIMBY types aren't a very big market.

People who want to give off the appearance of caring about the environment without really doing anything typically have more money than sense but it's limited. Hence videos like the one presented in this thread to expand market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
OF course it doesn't TO YOU. You don't even understand why the EVs exist in the FIRST place.
I'm willing to bet rivian would love to sell me a truck

Purity-based ideology is often a bad market decision

Old 10-28-2021, 04:58 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Something else about off-roading and of course boondocking is your range is reduced.

You can't go where gasoline powered vehicles can go. You can carry 50 extra gallons of gasoline on a car that runs on gasoline you can't carry extra batteries on this thing.
Dunno how much people dropping $70-80k on pickups are into boondocking though to be honest. I wouldn't say I ever was really into it. I like crashing in the back of my car to avoid paying for hotels and back when I was travelling for work and pocketing the housing allowance I'd try and find some farmer's barn or the back of mechanic shop to stay at rather than trailer park, more peaceful and less money. Sort of boondocking but not really. Still had to get to work in the mornings though so boondocking was really only on the weekends. Honestly, more often I'd just grab a backpack and take off and leave the trailer wherever it was and go backpacking. Gas mileage was bad enough in the truck without towing along the trailer.

Cheap was a big name of the game though. I was renting my dad's 15 year-old pickup and 20 year-old trailer from him for not much money so none of those fancy trailer parks wouldn't even let me in the gate anyway. That's more where I imagine a $70,000 Rivian towing smaller $100-140k Airstream being than boondocking.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dunno how much people dropping $70-80k on pickups are into boondocking though to be honest. I wouldn't say I ever was really into it. I like crashing in the back of my car to avoid paying for hotels and back when I was travelling for work and pocketing the housing allowance I'd try and find some farmer's barn or the back of mechanic shop to stay at rather than trailer park, more peaceful and less money. Sort of boondocking but not really. Still had to get to work in the mornings though so boondocking was really only on the weekends. Honestly, more often I'd just grab a backpack and take off and leave the trailer wherever it was and go backpacking. Gas mileage was bad enough in the truck without towing along the trailer.

Cheap was a big name of the game though. I was renting my dad's 15 year-old pickup and 20 year-old trailer from him for not much money so none of those fancy trailer parks wouldn't even let me in the gate anyway. That's more where I imagine a $70,000 Rivian towing smaller $100-140k Airstream being than boondocking.
But if they offered an option that would greatly extend or eliminate completely the concept of range do you think more people would be willing to buy this truck?

Old 10-28-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
But if they offered an option that would greatly extend or eliminate completely the concept of range do you think more people would be willing to buy this truck?
That's the idea behind the charging networks. They're the only reason I'd look at an EV. Useless for towing though.

Hypothetically if I could tow 12,000 pound trailer from Redding to San Diego (650 miles) without stopping? Sure. Such a thing does not exist though in the EV space. Last truck had a 100 gallon tank so that was doable. Usually I'd stop once for a late lunch or early dinner and fill up at a truck stop and stretch the legs though. Way more convenient to do that than find somewhere to drop a trailer and charge at Wal-Mart for an hour every 100 miles though which is what EV towing would look like. When I went from Friday in San Diego to Monday in Redding, getting it all out of the way on one day was nice. Left me Sunday to do an errands I might need to, get up to speed and have some downtime for the next week. With an EV it would take the whole weekend to go 600 mile and I'd probably kill something on Monday.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's the idea behind the charging networks. They're the only reason I'd look at an EV. Useless for towing though.
I would absolutely consider an ev down the road a little bit they have come so far in the past 10 years.
[quote]
Hypothetically if I could tow 12,000 pound trailer from Redding to San Diego (650 miles) without stopping? Sure. Such a thing does not exist though in the EV space. But that's the point there could though with an addition of a very efficient very small generator. It could run while the truck is parked. Maybe even be able to run while you're driving the truck I think this would open so many doors. That could also even break into the semi market.
Quote:
Last truck had a 100 gallon tank so that was doable. Usually I'd stop once for a late lunch or early dinner and fill up at a truck stop and stretch the legs though. Way more convenient to do that than find somewhere to drop a trailer and charge at Wal-Mart for an hour every 100 miles though which is what EV towing would look like. When I went from Friday in San Diego to Monday in Redding, getting it all out of the way on one day was nice. Left me Sunday to do an errands I might need to, get up to speed and have some downtime for the next week. With an EV it would take the whole weekend to go 600 mile and I'd probably kill something on Monday.
see I think there's a bit of a market here for an electric towing vehicle that has its own generator it would perform extremely well in the hills as long as it could generate enough power. This is how locomotives have worked for years they're great big electric cars with the generator built into them.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:26 PM

[quote=Hankrigby;62207974]I would absolutely consider an ev down the road a little bit they have come so far in the past 10 years.
Quote:
Hypothetically if I could tow 12,000 pound trailer from Redding to San Diego (650 miles) without stopping? Sure. Such a thing does not exist though in the EV space. But that's the point there could though with an addition of a very efficient very small generator. It could run while the truck is parked. Maybe even be able to run while you're driving the truck I think this would open so many doors. That could also even break into the semi market.
see I think there's a bit of a market here for an electric towing vehicle that has its own generator it would perform extremely well in the hills as long as it could generate enough power. This is how locomotives have worked for years they're great big electric cars with the generator built into them.
You'd need a big generator for that though.

Say you start off with a 6,500 pound F-150 Lightening. Not sure what a motor, transmission, drive train, gas tank would add. 1,000 pounds easily. 7,500. Or the other way, start with a 7,000 pound F-250/350 and add 2,000 batter and electric motors. Point being you'd be somewhere in that 7,500 to 9,000 range which is reall heavy.

I think a light duty that's not geared towards towing would work better. Take a 3.3 V6 and make it into a PHEV with limited electric range, 25 miles or so. Enough to operate around town on mostly battery, most likely as a strict hybrid so using the gas motor to assist with accelearation like the Prius Prime. Technically you could use it EV only, but not really as it would be like 30 seconds 0-60. You could probably do that with maybe adding 700-800 pounds. Still substantial but it's a big truck anyone so not THAT noticeable (Prius Prime is 300 pounds heavier than a regular Prius).

Old 10-28-2021, 08:32 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,541,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Awesome truck, we are considering cancelling our Cybertruck for the Rivian.
I think it's a better truck. I so want one.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:40 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in your speculation.

More options equals more market appeal that's a reality you can't get around.

I'm not buying the idea that this has to require some severe redesigns and that dealing with exhaust on a vehicle is such a hassle.

It would probably be a pretty easy modification.
you just keep repeating how it's too difficult to put an exhaust pipe on a car and it's not working on it.
it's ridiculous of you to make such a strawman.

Somebody said the purpose of an electric vehicle is to have zero help by permissions no the purpose of an electric vehicle is to transport people.

Eliminating one of the massive limits of electric cars as an option doesn't seem poorly thought out to me.

I think you're appealing to purity.
appealing to a larger market is not ridiculous no matter how much you want to pretend that it is.

You said this nonsense multiple times. Do you think the more you say it the more true it will become?

What speculation? There's obviously no generator in the front of the vehicle. The vehicle is as it is. You're speculating this is a good idea, but reality actually followed otherwise.

The idea has serious drawbacks both from a design engineering perspective and from a market perspective. A BEV with a large battery trying to accommodate the generator and a reasonable exhaust system (going to the back, behind the occupants) has been avoided by established and new existing automakers. Asking a startup to pack in a fairly different option when they have no natural advantage and would either have to pour in money to make their own engines for this or to purchase and try to adapt it from another supplier is simply more costs in design and production.

It's not speculation that they didn't end up doing it. Rivian's not doing it, Tesla's not doing it, BMW's not doing it--pretty much nobody is doing that in the US now except for the poorly selling reincarnation of the Fisker Karma / Karma Revero which hasn't sold well even for its price bracket and which is supposedly also moving away from the setup. The closest successful ones are in China like the Li Xiang One, but it still gets beaten by its closest BEV and ICE competitors and that's a crossover so not having the frunk still gives it plenty of enclosed, lockable storage space. Altering a long range EV with a large battery for a range extender up in front comes with drawbacks, and it's certainly not easy for a startup that has a disadvantage in terms of access to ICE production they'd need unlike existing automakers which have a large parts bin and tons of experience and resources in ICE development and production.

If it's so very simple and desirable as you state though, great, because since think it's a pretty easy modification and bound to be well-received, then you should make an aftermarket under the hood range extender generator for a long range / large battery pickups. The world's your oyster.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-28-2021 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-28-2021, 10:07 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,473,415 times
In case people needed another look at the truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT-W5tj99Yk

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-28-2021 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive