Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 04:47 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's pretty ugly, for sure, but it has nothing on the monstrosities that are GM's current full-size truck offerings. RAM trucks are beautiful, Fords are pretty good looking, most of the imports are uninspired, but not really ugly, but Chevy/GMC trucks are flat out horrible looking.

I feel like RAM trucks used to look great, but seem to have increasingly headed towards an increasingly busy design language for the front that's more similar to the Chevy/GMC trucks though not quite as bad. The Silverado looks plain goofy to me, and I'd take the silly Rivian bug eyes over the conjoined twin head monstrosity the Silverado has. Grills for vehicles in general seem to be getting out of hand as they don't need that level of air intake and the exaggerated ribbed for his pleasure direction that's been going on just doesn't appeal to me.

Looks aside though, this truck does pack 800 hp, each of the wheels can spin independently for some pretty insane torque vectoring, has a very deep wade depth, and an adjustable ground clearance that can go pretty high, so on the raw performance side of things, this truck probably tops all the others for going off-roading even though some of our tougher fellow posters might feel a bit bashful about the rather cartoon-y looking front.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-07-2021 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 04:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I'll keep my F150 with the 5.0 Coyote V8 and 385 horsepower, getting 19.4 highway, and 700 mile range, thanks. That's the ugliest thing since the Pontiac Aztec or the early Honda Insight Hybrid. If I wanted electric I'd go with the F150 Lightning, but that's not likely.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it's a pretty, uh, unique looking front. I wonder if they'll stick with that design look if and when they start producing other vehicles.

It does bode well on the performance side of things though. It's unlikely that Rivian is so much ahead of other automakers that the performance can't be matched and bettered by other automakers within the next few years and with substantially different looks from this and from each other. The Ford F-150 Lightning looks like a fairly traditional truck, and I'm guessing the Chevy and RAM electric trucks won't stray too far from their current looks. The Tesla Cybertruck though is way out in left field, and the GM Hummer EV pickup definitely looks like a Hummer.
I am tired of designs that scarcely change because the makers are so conservative they're afraid to lose their customer base by actually doing anything to the "cash cow". That said, the Cybertruck looks like something out of a Sci-Fi film - gotta give them credit for having guts, but it remains to be seen if that will pay off.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:55 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'll keep my F150 with the 5.0 Coyote V8 and 385 horsepower, getting 19.4 highway, and 700 mile range, thanks. That's the ugliest thing since the Pontiac Aztec or the early Honda Insight Hybrid. If I wanted electric I'd go with the F150 Lightning, but that's not likely.
You have no idea what you're missing. The 5.0 is inferior to the 3.5 Ecoboost in truck applications. I don't know what your actual needs (not cowboy fantasies) are, but I suspect you'd be far better off with a minivan or full-sized van. For the most part, pickups are Walter Mitty fantasy vehicles. They're a pretty stupid choice for most buyers. At least you didn't get the N/A V6. Still, why the 5.0 instead of a 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost? Did you drive them back-to-back? Probably not, as the EB V6s are a no-brainer.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:39 PM

6,791 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I want to like it, but that front end is hideous.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Water doesn't really work for engines, but engines need to keep drawing air for combustion so their luck can run out in a flood pretty easily. With EVs, you can design the powertrain and battery to be pretty well-sealed (as in, you're not mixing electricity and water since neither the motor nor the battery require air intake to operate unlike an internal combustion engine) so that's why they can ostensibly have very high wade depths. Supposedly Teslas can float for a while and the wheels spinning can allow for a bit of forward movement in water. There are definitely quite a few videos of EVs doing alright in flood conditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBG42_tjN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5TXuBFzwb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUDlHNQ-aTA

Think about it for a bit--a phone dropped in water these days doesn't automatically just short and most submarines use electric propulsion.
All depends on how high on the motor the air intake is, but there is no way to drive any vehicle against the current unless the water's level is very low. Before the water reaches the air intake the current is already moving the vehicle in another direction. People modify ICE vehicles to ago across deep pools of water as shown on the video. In this case the air intake is elevated above the hood. On UTV's the air intake is positioned above motor near the top edge of the firewall.

The worst that would happen for an ICE is for it to stop running once water reaches the air intake. But the most dangerous thing for a Lithium-Ion battery is to be immersed in water. That's why these batteries must be completely sealed. You can see how Lithium reacts to water in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTJh_bzI0QQ

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-07-2021 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All depends on how high on the motor the air intake is, but there is no way to drive any vehicle against the current unless the water's level is very low. Before the water reaches the air intake the current is already moving the vehicle in another direction. People modify ICE vehicles to ago across deep pools of water as shown on the video. In this case the air intake is elevated above the hood. On UTV's the air intake is positioned above motor near the top edge of the firewall.

The worst that would happen for an ICE is for it to stop running once water reaches the air intake. But the most dangerous thing for a Lithium-Ion battery is to be immersed in water. That's why these batteries must be completely sealed.

Yea, those batteries are completely sealed by default, so that's why it's possible for a compact sedan like the Model 3 to wade through water that's up past its hood. Battery packs and powertrains are generally always sealed. I thought at first it was a quirk of Teslas, but Rivian also does a standard wading test for its vehicles and a lot of EVs in the recent floods in China this past summer from other automakers seemed to do similarly. It appears that sealing the battery and powertrain for EVs is standard practice. However, it is not standard practice to seal the air intake for ICE vehicles because they won't really run without it, and it's rare for most ICE vehicles to put the air intake up above like on the roof of the car. Heck, most ICE vehicles on the road don't even have it positioned above motor. I think it's great that you're pointing out a pretty sizable advantage in practice that EVs have with the batteries being completely sealed and the ICE at risk of having water reaching the air intake since it's only fairly specialized vehicles like the UTV you mentioned that have have such above the motor.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
You have no idea what you're missing. The 5.0 is inferior to the 3.5 Ecoboost in truck applications. I don't know what your actual needs (not cowboy fantasies) are, but I suspect you'd be far better off with a minivan or full-sized van. For the most part, pickups are Walter Mitty fantasy vehicles. They're a pretty stupid choice for most buyers. At least you didn't get the N/A V6. Still, why the 5.0 instead of a 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost? Did you drive them back-to-back? Probably not, as the EB V6s are a no-brainer.
Obviously for tradesmen and people who need to tow a big camper or boat, a pickup is a utilitarian choice. But yes, the sheer volume of pickups being sold suggests that multiples of these people who need a truck for utility are actually buying them. Even an SUV/CUV will ride better, handle better, be quieter and yield better gas mileage than a pickup, so I don't fully understand it - what's in it for the rest of the buyers. Of course, people aren't computers, and when it comes to discretionary spending at least, "It's what I want" is justification enough.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:08 AM

MotorTrend's on a Rivian kick.

Here's a close look at the frunk:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...nds-on-review/

I think pickup trucks and pony cars are probably the two segments that benefit the most from a frunk since it gives pickup trucks a large enclosed storage area without mucking with a tonneau and for pony cars, those long hoods can make up for what are usually very paltry trunks and perhaps those paltry trunks can then give way for a just tiny bit more backseat space.

There's also a two-part transcontinental off road trip which thus far has included powering an electric chainsaw to get rid of an obstruction and using the four motors and instant torque to help pull a stuck ICE pickup truck in slippery conditions.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...rail-off-road/

Old 09-08-2021, 09:37 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Dunno about that...the last truck I restored was an 81 F100 with the I6 and an SROD. I towed a 24ft camper with it...you can do that when you built and own the drivetrain.

The best thing about the 5.0 is....it aint a turbo. If you REALLY need to tow over say 6-8000 lbs, get the damn diesel and leave the gas motors alone.

ohhhh, you mean 0-60 wise. truck reasons

remond me to tell you about the weakoboost 3.5 HO that wanted to run my CTS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive