Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2021, 04:08 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
SEC would disagree which is why Elon keeps getting in fined. Since Elon uses what might be considered personal communication to represent Tesla's positions, it's blurred. That really doesn't matter though when statements made at Tesla events like Battery Day are certainly statements representing Tesla and not just off-hand statements of their eccentric CEO that do not represent the opinions of Tesla. Tesla organized an event, put the CEO on the stage, and he made the statements that he made. $25,000 self-driving cars coming in two years. Everyone knows it won't happen but it is what Tesla says.

Volume seller in the US market is the Y. Not really sure about globally... but then big pickups in globally if you exclude the US market are pretty irrelevant whereas they are very, very important for the US market.
SEC disagreed on him saying things about Tesla share prices. That is actually specific to Tesla. Did you not understand why what was done was wrong? Battery powertrains, self-driving cars, lower $25K models, etc. are all within the purview and reasonably so of Tesla. Tesla itself is an actual company rather than a single person, and though that single person is in a very influential role at the company, he is not the company nor is every thing he does or comments on about the company. The cult of Elon seems to derange both true believers as well as crusaders against to mix anything up that they see his name on it or is even vaguely associated with anything he's associated with.

I already said volume seller in the US market is the Y, but the person you responding to was obviously talking about the global market given the GM number put out. GM is not selling 7 million vehicles in the US a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 04:43 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
SEC disagreed on him saying things about Tesla share prices. That is actually specific to Tesla. Did you not understand why what was done was wrong? Battery powertrains, self-driving cars, lower $25K models, etc. are all within the purview and reasonably so of Tesla. Tesla itself is an actual company rather than a single person, and though that single person is in a very influential role at the company, he is not the company nor is every thing he does or comments on about the company. The cult of Elon seems to derange both true believers as well as crusaders against to mix anything up that they see his name on it or is even vaguely associated with anything he's associated with.

I already said volume seller in the US market is the Y, but the person you responding to was obviously talking about the global market given the GM number put out. GM is not selling 7 million vehicles in the US a year.
It's fine for an individual to forecast stock prices. Jim Cramer does that on TV. It is illegal, however, for a company to lie to pump their stock prices which is what Tesla did and why they were fined.

Anyway, the point it Tesla won't be selling 1,800,000 cars in the US in next few years to compete on a volume basis. They're up there in price and volume with BMW and Mercedes though, which isn't a bad place. Once Texas is up at capacity they'll be ahead in volume. While Tesla maybe has issues producing cars they're ahead of anyone else. Ford or GM are a long ways odd being able to make even 100k EVs a year. Rivian is the closest new EV make and yeah. Bugatti might be impressed by that production volume but that's about it.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's fine for an individual to forecast stock prices. Jim Cramer does that on TV. It is illegal, however, for a company to lie to pump their stock prices which is what Tesla did and why they were fined.

Anyway, the point it Tesla won't be selling 1,800,000 cars in the US in next few years to compete on a volume basis. They're up there in price and volume with BMW and Mercedes though, which isn't a bad place. Once Texas is up at capacity they'll be ahead in volume. While Tesla maybe has issues producing cars they're ahead of anyone else. Ford or GM are a long ways odd being able to make even 100k EVs a year. Rivian is the closest new EV make and yeah. Bugatti might be impressed by that production volume but that's about it.
Yea, it's wrong for them to lie and that is relevant to Tesla--that's very relevant to Tesla which was my point. You know what's not? Mars colonies.

Next few years? Depends on what your definition of few is. At least two which would be very unlikely, but four? Six? Eight? More factories elsewhere also means less need to export US produced vehicles meaning more production capacity to serve the US. More factories such as the one in Austin is more production capacity overaall unless they close the Fremont one. A few years' time, again depending on the definition, may also be enough time to introduce more than one new model and/or start and put into production more factories. It may even be enough time to acquire another automaker.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:18 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,225,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
11,000 towing capacity but these EV trucks will lose range at least as fast as a gas truck and then take much longer to re-fuel. So for short trips yes, for long trips no.
I wasn't aware gas trucks had range and I want aware electric vehicles used fuel.

The superior vehicle would be a diesel as they don't have nearly the drop in fuel economy gas powered cars do
Quote:
We would probably buy a utility trailer for it as the bed is very short. This truck is a great off-roader, a very good daily car, and a super fast sports sedan that can haul quite a lot of stuff.
I'll be interested to hear how they are from real world owners.

They do have limits fuel powered vehicles don't but they do have advantages over them I can't wait to hear how those weigh out in real life.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:06 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I wasn't aware gas trucks had range and I want aware electric vehicles used fuel.

The superior vehicle would be a diesel as they don't have nearly the drop in fuel economy gas powered cars do

I'll be interested to hear how they are from real world owners.

They do have limits fuel powered vehicles don't but they do have advantages over them I can't wait to hear how those weigh out in real life.
Correct diesel is superior for hauling large weights around. I have a Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel for hauling my camper around and it can go very far on 1 tank even with a load. I expect batter EV's to replace gas vehicles before they replace diesel vehicles. It will be interesting to see how well the Tesla & Nikola semis do.

For us, we've decided to sell the camper and Ram and buy a Rivian 1RT pickup.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:24 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,225,285 times
Quote:
Correct diesel is superior for hauling large weights around. I have a Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel for hauling my camper around and it can go very far on 1 tank even with a load. I expect batter EV's to replace gas vehicles before they replace diesel vehicles. It will be interesting to see how well the Tesla & Nikola semis do.

Really? Well when you do be sure to tell us here what you think.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:50 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times
Quote:
Cool. Did you put down a deposit yet?

Old 10-27-2021, 11:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqexebCcUo

Another pretty thorough review and concentrating heavily on the off-road capabilities. I was going to say that being bald meant he was unlikely to be a male hairdresser, but I actually don't know if that's true or not. Maybe being bald makes you *want* to work with hair more.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:13 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Pre-order three years.

You can see the poor articulation, although in some ways that's less of a concern as there's an electric motor on each wheel You don't need to worry about the wheel hanging in the breeze getting all the power so it's just a question of how good the traction control system is. In more of a rock garden where traction on all four wheels is limited though, articulation would matter more. Not sure how much tire you could fit under that which would be probably the biggest limiting factor in terms of capability. Mild ATs with not much sidewall on rocky trails do flat easily. How many people care? Probably not many. It's always been more the aftermarket realm than factory realm but while fitting more tire on a Jeep or Toyota or what have you isn't any realy issue, I really don't know how possible it would be on a Rivian.

Some cool touches. Some not very good ones like the location of the charger port. Locating that far in the front may help reaching front chargers as opposed to say the Taycan where it's often a real stretch to plug in but particularly on an off-road vehicle just not a good location. Add some mud to that trail where maybe you need a bit of momentum to get up a slope and then a nice slip and crunch on your very expensive fender. Ouch.

I'd like to see someone test the compressor. Can't air down a whole lot with this small tires and it good trails so no real need to. Still, I'd think that would be in the script at the PR event. Even if it's not necessary, air down all four of those small tires a bit and use the compressor to show us how long it takes to air back up. It's something to show off, if it works well. Strange to me that no one has compared that to the functionality of say a $50 110v air compressor (hint: they're not great).

Last edited by Malloric; 10-27-2021 at 05:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 06:00 PM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Cool. Did you put down a deposit yet?
Right now we have 2 Cybertrucks and a BMW X5 45e hybrid on order. Wife and I are still debating whether or not to order the Rivian before seeing and driving one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive