Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 PM

12,604 posts, read 9,726,462 times

Advertisements

"Its electric powertrain notwithstanding, the R1T is unlike any pickup we've ever driven—part truck, part sport sedan, and 100 percent amazing. It's been speculated that pickup buyers are too conservative to embrace electrification, but after our first drive in a pre-production Rivian R1T, both on-road and off-, we think this is the electric truck that will turn them into believers."
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 10:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,738,189 times
I suspect most truck buyers won’t even give it a chance, so they’ll never know one way or the other.

Motor Trend has been out of touch with reality for a few years now, which is why I cancelled my subscription.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:25 AM

37,282 posts, read 39,605,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I suspect most truck buyers won’t even give it a chance, so they’ll never know one way or the other.

Motor Trend has been out of touch with reality for a few years now, which is why I cancelled my subscription.

I suspect the high initial price point would cut a lot of truck drivers out from the get-go. It'll be interesting to see how many they sell in 2022 when they've gone past the small run of launch editions and the chip shortage has hopefully been resolved.

I'm also curious as to just how much do and how many people prize the off-roading abilities. The vehicle seems well-equipped to do so since there's an independent motor for each wheel, can wade through pretty high water depths, has a very high max ground clearance, and a bunch of interesting features geared towards the outdoors, but are there really that many people that would pay a premium for these capabilities?

Old 09-02-2021, 10:50 AM

Well, it should have effortless torque, and with a separate motor driving each wheel - it's got not just a fully independent suspension, as I understand it, it's got a fully independent drivetrain too! No differentials, no clutch packs, etc. So long as they have the control logic well sorted, the ability to put down power in an optimal fashion over complex mixed surfaces should be about as good as it gets.

Old 09-02-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

It will be interesting to see how it is received. I do think some will just reject it at face value as you're implying - either because it's an EV, or because it doesn't look like a traditional truck. But, if the performance is exceptional, and word gets out, some people may change their mind.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:00 AM

5,687 posts, read 5,930,067 times
Looks like a damned Avanti.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Looks like a damned Avanti.

You're right! They should do a sports coupe with a long hood.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:00 PM

21,925 posts, read 25,269,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"Its electric powertrain notwithstanding, the R1T is unlike any pickup we've ever driven—part truck, part sport sedan, and 100 percent amazing. It's been speculated that pickup buyers are too conservative to embrace electrification, but after our first drive in a pre-production Rivian R1T, both on-road and off-, we think this is the electric truck that will turn them into believers."
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/
R1T is the truck for not truck people. As such, I kind of like it. Otherwise to me trucks are just tow pigs. F250 with the 7.3, family wagon for dogs, gear, work spec. But yeah, in the past I've had a use for a tow pig. Now I do not. I'd be far more inclined to get something that's nearly useless as a truck like the R1T than something that's useful like an F250.

The other obvious problem is of course the price. It's in the $70-90k price range, which that's fine and there's a market for those things, but I'm not that market. Ford Maverick starts at $20k. Much more sensible if you just want a trucklett. Won't do off-road stuff or anything as it's a FWD hybrid, but if you just want something to take to the nursery to buy flowers and whatnot, the Maverick to me is a lot more compelling than the R1T. To be clear, I really can't afford a $70k vehicle anyway and even if I could I couldn't justify the extra $50k for a Rivian. When they cut the price in half though, I'd be interested.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-02-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-02-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
R1T is the truck for not truck people. As such, I kind of like it. Otherwise to me trucks are just tow pigs. F250 with the 7.3, family wagon for dogs, gear, work spec. But yeah, in the past I've had a use for a tow pig. Now I do not. I'd be far more inclined to get something that's nearly useless as a truck like the R1T than something that's useful like an F250.

At this point, it's likely that a large part of truck sales in the US are by people who are not "truck people".

If it's about raw capability versus price for vehicle and operating cost, then the Rivian R1T with its crew cab and niceties aren't it.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:33 PM

17,671 posts, read 15,380,050 times
That's the ugliest thing I've seen in a while.

Wow.. $70k basically.. Yeah, that gets a pass from me. I drive a truck.. Colorado, so the 'smaller' truck.. and that thing was $30k. So.. Agree with everyone saying the price is the deal killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive