Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 08:39 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

I think the 12.6 year old vehicle would last longer than the computerized nightmare smart devices on wheels these days. Finally had to replace my old 1998 and 2001 that died of old age with a 2019 and 2022 and learn how much issues these smart tablets on wheels can bring out and the dealer service departments would always play dumb.

Interesting in late 1990s-2007 apparently they perfected engineering vehicles with simple electronics, components, and rust resistance so they stay on the road for long while still feeling relatively new even after 10 years on the road. before they started to turn them into complicated drive by wire everything computerized than things started to go downhill. Remember the Stuck pedal toyotas since 2008? I believe in ten years or third redesign they would not have any firmware to update for the old computers on wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 08:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Mine is 17, husband’s are 4 and 25. No plans to replace any of them soon. Neither of us likes the electronic nightmare that vehicles have become. The 4-yr-old one already went past the mark of desirable e-infestation.

It is not only high prices that keep people from buying new cars. Many of us consider the new vehicles to be inferior. There is no economic sense in buying something of lower real value at higher price.

I do some of my own maintenance and wish I could do much, much more.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:00 AM

672 posts, read 699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I think the 12.6 year old vehicle would last longer than the computerized nightmare smart devices on wheels these days. Finally had to replace my old 1998 and 2001 that died of old age with a 2019 and 2022 and learn how much issues these smart tablets on wheels can bring out and the dealer service departments would always play dumb.

Interesting in late 1990s-2007 apparently they perfected engineering vehicles with simple electronics, components, and rust resistance so they stay on the road for long while still feeling relatively new even after 10 years on the road. before they started to turn them into complicated drive by wire everything computerized than things started to go downhill. Remember the Stuck pedal toyotas since 2008? I believe in ten years or third redesign they would not have any firmware to update for the old computers on wheels.
Drive by wire has been around for some time. GM started using it in the late 90's. If anything it seems part of the auto chip shortage is the fact that the auto manufacturers use older chip technology, so the have less sources to get them from.
In my opinion the late 90's to early 2000's was one of the worse errors for American car makers. Japanese car makers faired well though.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:10 AM

True but they are getting ever more complicated as with the vehicle itself.
Just as with the PCs I remembered just a minor power surge everything performs different including the acceleration lag time, fuel economy, and the infotainment, and the manufacture/dealer loathe to help. Even though you can clearly prove that the car drives much differently than before. They have loaners and they performed just like my own car before the damage to the ECU occurred.

Just off topic do states that change license plate designs require each vehicle owner to replace the entire plate along with the registration tag that year?
It appears it isn't the case with California(which appears original plates seems for life) but is the case with New York and Texas(Which had a totally different plate design not so long ago, but I haven't seen one with the older plate design even if the car is over 12 years old which I believe were issued the previous plates when they were first registered in Texas.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:58 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate;
Just off topic do states that change license plate designs require each vehicle owner to replace the entire plate along with the registration tag that year?
It appears it isn't the case with California(which appears original plates seems for life) but is the case with New York and Texas(Which had a totally different plate design not so long ago, but I haven't seen one with the older plate design even if the car is over 12 years old which I believe were issued the previous plates when they were first registered in Texas.
I'm in Texas, and here's how it currently works:

New plates & registration sticker issued upon initial purchase, lease, or registration of vehicle in the State. Registration renewal stickers issued annually, plates stay on vehicle until vehicle is sold or transferred. New plate design does not mandate older plates be replaced.

Here is how it used to work:

New plates & registration sticker issued upon initial purchase of previously unregistered vehicle, lease, or registration of vehicle in the State. Registration stickers issued annually, plates replaced every 7 or 8 years. Plates stay on vehicle and transfer to new owner, unless special issue, like Handicap, personalized, etc. New plate design alone does not mandate replacement of older series.

Prior to the mid-1970s, Texas issued new dated plates annually, so you got new plates every year with your annual registration renewal.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I'm in Texas, and here's how it currently works:

New plates & registration sticker issued upon initial purchase, lease, or registration of vehicle in the State. Registration renewal stickers issued annually, plates stay on vehicle until vehicle is sold or transferred. New plate design does not mandate older plates be replaced.

Here is how it used to work:

New plates & registration sticker issued upon initial purchase of previously unregistered vehicle, lease, or registration of vehicle in the State. Registration stickers issued annually, plates replaced every 7 or 8 years. Plates stay on vehicle and transfer to new owner, unless special issue, like Handicap, personalized, etc. New plate design alone does not mandate replacement of older series.

Prior to the mid-1970s, Texas issued new dated plates annually, so you got new plates every year with your annual registration renewal.
I be curious when it changed in Texas as the last plate design is not seen when I went to Texas last April of 2022 as even on 2007 vehicles which when I last went I remember seeing them with the previous Texas plates which actually looks better than the one today. In California it seems cars can keep the original plates for life since decades ago and it’s not too uncommon to see classic cars with the original classic blue plates still installed, as well as pre 1996 collectors who still have the print white plates. That year the state adapted the cursive plates for new plates. But I remember older model car plates were left as it was. The state hasn’t made significant changes to license plates since except some speciality plates.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:32 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious when it changed in Texas as the last plate design is not seen when I went to Texas last April of 2022 as even on 2007 vehicles which when I last went I remember seeing them with the previous Texas plates which actually looks better than the one today. In California it seems cars can keep the original plates for life since decades ago and it’s not too uncommon to see classic cars with the original classic blue plates still installed, as well as pre 1996 collectors who still have the print white plates. That year the state adapted the cursive plates for new plates. But I remember older model car plates were left as it was. The state hasn’t made significant changes to license plates since except some speciality plates.
The current Texas "Classic" license plate design started issuing in 2012. In 2016, the routine 7-year replacement cycle was eliminated. So older plate series still displayed would mostly be limited to plates issued 2009 or later, whose owner has continually renewed their registration.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:14 PM

387 posts, read 408,886 times
Don't laugh...I have a 96 Crown Vic. Just turned 100k 3 days ago. Got it from an old couple who lived in Florida. The week the pandemic/lockdown started for 2k with 81k on it. Absolutely no rust at all. All of the parts new are generally $40-$50. Only things that needed replaced were tie rods, ball joints etc. Took it on some highway trips and all I gotta say is I get why law enforcement used these.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:36 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,764,256 times
Ours are 10 and 12. We actually have had newer models a few years ago, but decided old Toyota's were better than new Fords.
So far so good for the most part.

I'd like to get a new Tundra with a smoother ride and better gas mileage, but not for the cost of a small midwestern house.
When 25k pickups stop stickering at 60k, we'll make our move. It doesn't matter what brand, no vehicle marketed to the average person should cost more than 25-30k.
'Till then....

Old 06-02-2022, 11:53 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It is not only high prices that keep people from buying new cars. Many of us consider the new vehicles to be inferior. There is no economic sense in buying something of lower real value at higher price.
  • My 2007 Subaru Impreza (last year of 2nd generation) gets 173 hp out of 2.5 liter 4 speed automatic
  • The 3rd generation gets 170 hp out of 2.5 liter 4 speed automatic starting 2008
  • The 4th generation gets 148 hp out of 2.0 liter CVT starting in 2012
  • The 5th generation gets 152 hp out of 2.0 liter CVT starting in 2017
  • The 6th generation starting in 2023 has a lot of rumors but no firm announcements

So I lose at least 21 hp, I would have to use a CVT, and I would lose 10% of my cargo space. On the positive side my 21 mpg should increase to ~31 mpg.

The next generation Subaru Impreza starting in 2023 is rumored to have Prius Hybrid technology thanks to Toyota increasing ownerhsip in Subaru to 20%. But an AWD Prius is more expensive than starting MSRP of 3 of Subaru's SUVs, with only the 7 seat Ascent more expensive than the AWD Prius. So the price of Subaru's may start increasing.

A 2022 Subaru Impreza with CVT has an MSRP of $22,025 including the $925 Destination Fee. That is less than the inflation adjusted 2007 MSRP. However, it is not really the same vehicle.

I agree with your comment that "there is no economic sense in buying something of lower real value at higher price."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive