Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 05:21 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup, lot of people are like that, either fear of being out of the factory warranty or just a case of Joneses. I have a problem that I get bored. Usually 2-3 years I want to move on to a something different car even though the last one is still perfectly fine. It's coupled with my hatred of spending money hower so at least with last two I bought new I've kept them much longer while window shopping.

You only live once. If you can afford it and thats what gives you security, do it. That new car smell is nice but expensive. Good luck in getting the model and options you want right away. I drove by a Honda and Ford dealership today. It looked like they were closed. The Ford dealer usually has 30 to 40 pickups out front and on the side lot. There were none to be seen. The Honda dealership usually filled with new cars, looked like it had maybe 5 or 6 new ones and a bunch of used cars. I usually keep a vehicle about 5 to 7 years. Then I want something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 09:40 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I’ve got a 2007 Jeep Wrangler with about 80,000 miles on it and a 2016 Ram 1500 with about 48,000 miles on it. There’s really nothing on the market right now that I want, so I’m going to hold on to the vehicles I’ve got.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:54 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
My current car is 37 years old!

Old 06-07-2022, 07:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You win the Internet!

Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times
i noticed a good number of people don’t want to deal with the electronic nightmare PCs or smartphone on wheels these days. They are distracting to operate and they freeze a lot. Had to replaced my simple late 90s and 2001 after all these years due to the oxygen canister, transmission, distributer gasket finally failing after all these years of good yet low maintainence and realizing all these electronics are just so glitchy. The toyota app never works despite many times trying to call tech support, and the infotainment froze and shut off on its own while driving, with it shut off there is no way to control even the climate control until we park turn off everything and restart not to mention the gps disappears.

Eventually automakers know how to force you to spend money and couldn’t be less helpful when someone encounters varies intermittent electronic issues. Ie infotainment, uneven acceleration, cruise control cutting out and not reengaging unless engine shut off, Nowadays it makes sense to lease as cars are almost like PCs or smart devices which they become a pain in the neck as they age and technology matures. Ie many older infotainments tend to mute out the phone completely if on Bluetooth or connected to usb but stereo setting is not on phone. It had been for later infotainments resolved by the introduction of android auto and CarPlay.

Obviously I understand why as if they continue to make cars to last like the late 90s to 2000s with long lasting parts and simple easy and affordable to fix electronics they would all be out of business if people only buy cars every 12 or even more years. But it’s same
With other consumer electronics products as well, they seem to be obsolete quick and don’t last nearly as long. My last microwave died just 4 years and still looks new. Whereas all my microwaves or other similar appliances used to last an average of 12 or more years.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 06-07-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 08:27 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Many people don’t want to deal with the electronic nightmare PCs or smartphone on wheels these days. So distracting to operate and they freeze a lot. Had to replaced late 90s and 2001 after all these years due to the oxygen canister, transmission, distributer gasket finally failing after all these years of good yet low maintainence and realizing all these electronics are just so glitchy. The toyota app never works despite many times trying to call tech support, and the infotainment froze and shut off on its own while driving, with it shut off there is no way to control even the climate control until we park turn off everything and restart not to mention the gps disappears.

Eventually automakers know how to force you to spend money and couldn’t be less helpful when someone encounters varies intermittent electronic issues. Ie infotainment, uneven acceleration, cruise control cutting out and not reengaging unless engine shut off, Nowadays it makes sense to lease as cars are almost like PCs or smart devices which they become a pain in the neck as they age and technology matures. Ie many older infotainments tend to mute out the phone completely if on Bluetooth or connected to usb but stereo setting is not on phone. It had been for later infotainments resolved by the introduction of android auto and CarPlay.
That's an important point to consider.

You can be meticulous with your maintenance, regular fluid changes, etc. But there is nothing you can do to prevent electronics from failing.

Old 06-10-2022, 02:18 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
2002 Toyota Solara (bought for my Stepson), 2014 Nissan Maxima (wife), 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x.

The Frontier replaced my 2011 Xterra after it was totaled last year. I had no intentions of replacing it prior to the accident.

I also have a 1997 Sportster 1200C, inherited from my ex-FiL as a salvaged. I completed the rebuild and rebuilt inspection earlier this year. Looking for a late 60s or early 70s Ironhead to rebuild.

Old 06-11-2022, 07:03 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

A 1985 Corolla?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive