Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 07:34 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,613,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Is this going to cause out of state trucks to stop at bordering state lines and drop trailers and then CA EV trucks will pick them up? Are they going to try and force the railroads into this? That’ll be hilarious as railroad will tell them to go f*st themselves.

I do understand what they are doing though. In order to clean the smog problems via geography/weather things, things need to change and this is a step.
A few (pseudo professional) predictions.

-rail freight will increase to/from the LA ports (and probably Oakland). UP and BNSF are already anticipating this, although they've got their own struggles.

-Big fleets (amazon, walmart, UPS, etc) will comply. They have the money and the capabilities to sell their fleets efficiently out of state (or just operate those rigs out of state).

-in state commerce gets more expensive to subsidize upgraded fleets. This especially impacts small shop owners (i.e. your corner donut shop), anyone moving their house in state, any time you have furniture delivered, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see line-item surcharges for any personal freight, as well as califronia specific destination fees for cars (similar to AK and HI)

-Its unlikely that you'll see trucks unhooking and swapping rigs at the CA boarder - its way too inefficient. More likely those loads will be carried by compliant fleets. It is possible though - at small scale, I wouldn't be surprised to see a small industry of short haul trucks driving to the boarder. Small scale though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 08:36 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,236,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyRanger View Post
I could be wrong but I find 15 years hard to believe. Would you mind sharing a link?
First paragraph: https://www.kcra.com/article/califor...nuary/42357986

Old 12-31-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
That doesn't make it any less stupid. As an outsider looking in, I don't understand why anyone would willingly do business in California.
It's the fifth largest economy in the world.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Could work but if CHP notices you working solely in the state then you are busted.

RV's and high end cars aren't on the road daily in the same patterns like a delivery truck would be.
It will most likely be revealed through IFTA reports. Every quarters, trucking companies has to report via the IFTA system how much and where fuel was bought and how many miles were driven in each state. It all comes from the drivers' logs.

If a non-compliant truck spends most of it's time in CA, the state will know.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:09 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,161,012 times
Guess another side effect will be lack of fuel stations selling diesel via demand will dwindle.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:20 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,745,422 times
To enforce the new rule, the California Department of Motor Vehicles will deny registration for vehicles that are not in compliance. The air resources board said it also has an enforcement unit that will audit fleets, do inspections, and issue citations if necessary. The agency is also working with the federal Environmental Protection Agency to help enforce the rule for vehicles coming from out of state.

Those who keep the vehicle but have the engine replaced with an engine made 2010 or later would be exempt from the rule."

We live 100 miles north of Sacramento and every time I stop for groceries or walk the dog I see expired registration plates, could be 1 year or longer expired. CA can't even enforce the laws passed decades ago. Our cost of gasoline is by far the highest, similar to some European countries, but our roads are abysmal. The moneys collected go to government paychecks, pensions and social welfare handouts.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:26 AM

6,569 posts, read 7,161,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
To enforce the new rule, the California Department of Motor Vehicles will deny registration for vehicles that are not in compliance. The air resources board said it also has an enforcement unit that will audit fleets, do inspections, and issue citations if necessary. The agency is also working with the federal Environmental Protection Agency to help enforce the rule for vehicles coming from out of state.

Those who keep the vehicle but have the engine replaced with an engine made 2010 or later would be exempt from the rule."

We live 100 miles north of Sacramento and every time I stop for groceries or walk the dog I see expired registration plates, could be 1 year or longer expired. CA can't even enforce the laws passed decades ago. Our cost of gasoline is by far the highest, similar to some European countries, but our roads are abysmal. The moneys collected go to government paychecks, pensions and social welfare handouts.
They set this up knowing companies would just put themselves based across the border or Montana.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What’s their next step? Banning diesel powered passenger vehicles?
...CARB has always been positioned as anti-diesel, including their test methods and requirements. This edict is SOP, and will hurt CA businesses and residents. But CARB has an agenda. Ironically, that agenda does not focus on conservation/ reducing vehicle trips and air travel. The Heavy hitters in CA emissions.

Trucking companies, just as dairy farms and many other industries have already done, will need to leave CA.

I see the ATHS (antique truck society ). Does not have any future conventions scheduled for CA. Reno will have to do for left coast gtg. Oregon and Washington will follow CA, as they're CARB states. I will step up continuing to license my diesels as collector vehicles, which most are permanently registered already. $43 for lifetime registration.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-31-2022 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-31-2022, 09:48 AM

15,476 posts, read 7,529,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
They set this up knowing companies would just put themselves based across the border or Montana.
That's not going to work. All trucks that operate regularly in California must be compliant. The only exemptions are if the truck is operated less than 1000 miles per year in California or if the truck gets a once per year 3 day pass.

California has a system for reporting truck mileage in California.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:23 AM

246 posts, read 120,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Sorry but they’ve had 15 years to prepare for this.
Really ?

I doubt you are a bit sorry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive