Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will survive
Dodge, electric is the future 8 10.81%
Toyota, were keeping gas around 66 89.19%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 01:22 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,172,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Even though I'm not a warming fanatic, I do think human activity worsened an already-bad situation.

Climate change is a cyclical event which happens for millions of year.

Humans have very little if anything to do with it, but of course governments around the world (who sponsor all of the "climate research") want more control and money - so here you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 09:06 PM

44,374 posts, read 20,088,633 times
People, please read the thread title and the opening post. If this discussion does not return to the original topic, the thread will be closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:45 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,949,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
If I was a Dodge investor I would not be happy. They have an extremely popular (although aged) car lineup, of people who love big engines, and big cars. Obviously there will be some curiosity with the niche of electric, but I just don't see their customer base moving over.

Toyota the worlds largest automaker, doesn't see their customers going electric anytime soon and they are not doing converting cars to electric.

Who do you think will succeed, and who will fail?
Just going back to this question, I think Dodge's strategy obviously is tied to that of Chrysler-Fiat-Peugeot-Stellantis (who came up with "Stellantis"? honestly!). Dodge isn't going to develop their own electric platform and battery system; the umbrella company will come up with a standardized platform and will either build their own batteries or partner with LG or one of the other battery giants.

By the way, I just noticed the Chrysler Airflow, a concept EV that looks beautiful and has 400 miles of range. I don't know if this means the Chrysler nameplate will stick around for a while, or are they just testing the waters to see if there's any demand?

As for Toyota, given they are the 2nd or 3rd largest manufacturing company in the world (VW is #1), you would expect them to easily create a Corolla-EV or a Camry-EV, just to keep their hand in the game. And a Lexus 350-EV... wow.

The new guy is less of a fuel cell evangelist and more of an EV enthusiast, so maybe we'll see them finally make a move in the next year or two. The only question is, can they catch up at this point with Tesla and BYD which have built out massive manufacturing and market shares these past few years. (Toyota at one point invested in Tesla, but sold out. I'll bet they're regretting that move now!)

Old 02-14-2023, 12:48 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,388,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Just going back to this question, I think Dodge's strategy obviously is tied to that of Chrysler-Fiat-Peugeot-Stellantis (who came up with "Stellantis"? honestly!). Dodge isn't going to develop their own electric platform and battery system; the umbrella company will come up with a standardized platform and will either build their own batteries or partner with LG or one of the other battery giants.

As for Toyota, given they are the 2nd or 3rd largest manufacturing company in the world (VW is #1), you would expect them to easily create a Corolla-EV or a Camry-EV, just to keep their hand in the game. And a Lexus 350-EV... wow.

The new guy is less of a fuel cell evangelist and more of an EV enthusiast, so maybe we'll see them finally make a move in the next year or two. The only question is, can they catch up at this point with Tesla and BYD which have built out massive manufacturing and market shares these past few years. (Toyota at one point invested in Tesla, but sold out. I'll bet they're regretting that move now!)
Just to clarify a few things - Stellantis is already the second biggest seller of EVs in Europe, just behind VW and ahead of Tesla so they have experience in house to build EVs.

According to Toyota press release from today - Lexus will restructure to compete better with Tesla and will revamp their lineup to be EV so more likely to see ES-EV than Camry-EV.. More info https://www.thestreet.com/technology...-change-on-evs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive