Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will survive
Dodge, electric is the future 8 10.81%
Toyota, were keeping gas around 66 89.19%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 06:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,698,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
How is it the "least efficient" car you ever owned? Most are rated above 100 MPGe.

It costs me about 3-4 cents a mile to fill even using high cost electricity in CA - according to BLS.gov, San Diego has the highest electricity rate in the US - SDGE rates are on average 59% higher than the US average rates.

Normal charging at a supercharger should be less than 30 minutes unless doing something unusual - 6-8 hours at home sounds normal but sleeping anyway during that time so why is it an issue.
Very simple, I can drive from Atlanta down to Columbus and back on half a tank of gas. I have to charge in Columbus in order to get back. That takes 30-50 minutes at a supercharger. If you could convert the the kWh to mpk used you would see just how inefficient these cars are. The battery has lost about 30 miles of charge ability in less than two years. Winter time is the worst because the battery drains much faster. EVs are beyond stupid IMO. Hybrid is the way to go. Can’t wait to get rid of mine! Sure they are cheap to charge/drive but that cost will steadily go up. I don’t care that’s it’s cheaper to charge, I care about the time it takes and little distance I can drive before charging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
LOL. Yeah. That's a serious issue for many of us.
It’s not 30 minutes, it’s more like 50! You can charge a little at a time of course but you will be stopping more frequently. Trust me, don’t buy one.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:51 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Very simple, I can drive from Atlanta down to Columbus and back on half a tank of gas. I have to charge in Columbus in order to get back. That takes 30-50 minutes at a supercharger. If you could convert the the kWh to mpk used you would see just how inefficient these cars are. The battery has lost about 30 miles of charge ability in less than two years. Winter time is the worst because the battery drains much faster. EVs are beyond stupid IMO. Hybrid is the way to go. Can’t wait to get rid of mine! Sure they are cheap to charge/drive but that cost will steadily go up. I don’t care that’s it’s cheaper to charge, I care about the time it takes and little distance I can drive before charging.
Cool. I'll give you 15 grand for it.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:06 AM

37,311 posts, read 39,731,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’ve recently begun relating it to color blindness.
I might crib that for use later.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Cool. I'll give you 15 grand for it.

Yea, I'd like to know the model, year and trim.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-02-2023 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I might crib that for use later.

Yea, I'd like to know the model, year and trim.
2021 Tesla Model 3

Old 02-02-2023, 07:35 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,866,558 times
All I know for certain is that in 10 years everyone will still be debating when EV's are going to take over the market just like everyone has been for the last 10 years. Here we are having been debating it for the last 10 years and still only roughly 5% of US vehicles are EV's. What will happen? That number will slowly go up until it reaches a threshold. The used market for ICE vehicles will be hot as people try to buy the most reliable and maintainable vehicles.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:39 AM

37,311 posts, read 39,731,886 times
Quote:
2021 Tesla Model 3

What's the trim and how much are you offering for it?

Old 02-02-2023, 09:12 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,609,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
All I know for certain is that in 10 years everyone will still be debating when EV's are going to take over the market just like everyone has been for the last 10 years. Here we are having been debating it for the last 10 years and still only roughly 5% of US vehicles are EV's. What will happen? That number will slowly go up until it reaches a threshold. The used market for ICE vehicles will be hot as people try to buy the most reliable and maintainable vehicles.
5% is the tipping point. There are a LOT more EVs now than 10 yrs ago.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:16 AM

19,109 posts, read 14,105,731 times
Next 3 years are the tipping point as a slew of models are coming from “traditional” automakers. Going to be way more than 5% by 2025.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-02-2023, 10:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,705,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
This is the same DOE run by Jen Granholm - perhaps more inept than trans-sec mayor pete. THAT DOE?

The one that acknowledges that EVERY CONUS state warned of rolling blackouts last summer and most had? THAT DOE?

Every single capacity document they they publish at present is completely made up.

This recent statement here: is repeated just about everywhere. THIS particular cut and paste came from CNBC so it would not be dismissed with a 'fox wave'. (in fact, didnt one of the states - CA - order people to NOT charge EVs last summer? (yes) ) From Sept of 2022 in the new york times
we are not Ukraine or Bratwurstslovakia and what used to be a Cali ONLY problem, is now widespead. Ergo.......

so to answer your question of 'who say electricity is in short supply', the answer clearly is: everyone. ESPECIALLY the consumers (and of course CISO)
This.

Our city is growing by leaps and bounds. There are over 300 apartments being built out in my area (which was rural until a few years ago) and 3 times as many within city limits. All of this because there is to be another influx of people to our area. We experienced our first rolling blackouts a few months ago due to a hard freeze for a few days. The grid overloaded. Now imagine what happens when they flip the switch to all of these apartments and the hundreds (of not thousands) of new houses they're building.

And we're supposed to depend on an already struggling grid to charge EVs? I'm not saying that one day EVs couldn't be the most common vehicle on the road, but by and large the U.S. electrical infrastructure just isn't there to support it.

I can't wait for summer when everyone cranks up the A/C. We are almost guaranteed to see rolling blackouts this summer because all of those apartments will be complete early spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive