Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will survive
Dodge, electric is the future 8 10.81%
Toyota, were keeping gas around 66 89.19%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 06:13 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The Challenger needs to go electric or change it’s name because it’s definitely no challenger.

I've never liked it to begin with. Be it faster, smoother and more refined then the original. To me there's no comparison. I'll take the 1970 any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 06:32 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
As a Tesla owner, I am happy to admit that going EV was the worst decision ever. EV cars are horrible and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. My Tesla is the least efficient, most annoying car I’ve ever owned. This EV infatuation needs to stop now. I’ll never buy electric again.
Data suggests you’re a very rare subset of EV owners, especially Tesla.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-01-2023, 08:11 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
plus you have another aggravation to deal with the rest of us dont have: running from lava. I hear its hot.
Only the big island has to worry much about lava - I was on Maui last week and according to the NPS info, Haleakala last erupted about 500 years ago.

The traffic between Lahaina and Kahului was bad though - spent 3 hours going the 20 miles between them one day due to an accident - was at least 45 minutes even on a good day.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:21 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
As a Tesla owner, I am happy to admit that going EV was the worst decision ever. EV cars are horrible and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. My Tesla is the least efficient, most annoying car I’ve ever owned. This EV infatuation needs to stop now. I’ll never buy electric again.
How is it the "least efficient" car you ever owned? Most are rated above 100 MPGe.

It costs me about 3-4 cents a mile to fill even using high cost electricity in CA - according to BLS.gov, San Diego has the highest electricity rate in the US - SDGE rates are on average 59% higher than the US average rates.

Quote:
Try 35-50 minutes to charge at a super charging station. It’s 6-8 hours at home. That’s reality. My battery on my Tesla has lost another 30 miles of charging in less than 2 years. Going back to combustion here in 2 months, can’t wait.
Normal charging at a supercharger should be less than 30 minutes unless doing something unusual - 6-8 hours at home sounds normal but sleeping anyway during that time so why is it an issue.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:15 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
How is it the "least efficient" car you ever owned? Most are rated above 100 MPGe.

It costs me about 3-4 cents a mile to fill even using high cost electricity in CA - according to BLS.gov, San Diego has the highest electricity rate in the US - SDGE rates are on average 59% higher than the US average rates.

Normal charging at a supercharger should be less than 30 minutes unless doing something unusual - 6-8 hours at home sounds normal but sleeping anyway during that time so why is it an issue.
LOL. Yeah. That's a serious issue for many of us.

Old 02-02-2023, 03:44 AM

37,124 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

It could be, depending on the use case. Less than 30 minutes runs a gamut. It may be that you need just a five minute charge because your destination (which could be your home) has a charger, and you just a want a quick top up to finish that distance. Or you might be on a roadtrip and want to stop for a bio break and a meal in which case you might have spent twenty five minutes there anyways, so it's just a part of parking as you normally would do. Sometimes it is close to thirty minutes and it is time spent that you otherwise could have spent driving though. It really depends a lot on the situation. However, you weigh that loss time for those moments against all the times over the years you did *not* have to make a detour specifically to refill at a gas station and pay out your nose since the majority of the miles you drove were likely off of charging from just being parked overnight at home. For the vast majority of people with home charging, they will on net saved a lot more time and a lot more money via charging rather than refueling.

What people without experience with EVs often have a hard time wrapping their heads around is that charging vs refueling really is quite different whereas people without experience seem to think of it in terms of a simple swap of every time they currently go to the gas station just becomes extended into a thirty minute or so ordeal, but that's not how that actually works since most charging is done at home when the vehicle is parked overnight and that a lot of outside charging is also done while your vehicle would have otherwise have been parked *anyways* since people presumably drive to places and park those vehicles at those places while doing things at that location.

However, it's likely a very different story if you do not have a pathway to charging at home.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-02-2023 at 04:40 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 05:28 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I’ve recently begun relating it to color blindness.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-02-2023, 06:22 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
And my Bolt is the most efficient, least annoying car *I've* ever owned and I've owned over 100 cars in the last 40 years.

I drive 300 miles on $6.60 worth of electricity. My 35 mpg car used $50 of fuel to go that far (it's a turbo 4 cyl that requires premium). My Suburban requires nearly $100 of regular fuel to go that far. How was your Tesla not efficient?

My Bolt is just like driving a normal car other than it being electric and efficient and quiet and quick. How could that be annoying? What's annoying is having to GO somewhere every couple days to get fuel in a gas powered car, when instead with the Bolt (and any EV) I can simply plug it in when I get home (taking all of 5 seconds) and when I get up again, it has a "full tank," and the ability to drive 300 miles that day right from the get go. Since I and most people don't drive 300 miles in the average day, I almost NEVER have to "go somewhere" and fill up. Nice in the cold and rain and snow. And on my 700-900 mile road trips, yes a stop for 30 minutes to get to 80% is longer than a gas stop, but I'm usually stopping 3 1/2 hours in to the trip, about time for potty and lunch break anyways. It adds a half hour to a 7 hour journey, not a big deal, unless you're trying to win a cannonball run race. But I'm not, and I don't think you should be either.

To be honest, I smell a troll or someone who really doesn't understand the car they bought because your attitude doesn't match 99% of EV drivers I've ever met or read experiences from. 99% of them are like me in that they will NEVER return to gas powered cars for daily driving.

Old 02-02-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Why? Are you driving more then 300 miles a day every day? So much so that a 20-30 minute stop every 3 1/2 hours on a road trip is a problem? Are you tryint win a long distance road race every time you drive?

Old 02-02-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Like I said... if you like the EVs, go for it. I wouldn't dream of controlling what you drive. There's no need to get defensive and rude (your Tucker Carlson comment).
I'll keep responding with the "rude" Tucker Carlson comment as long as you keep repeating his "rude" bogus bull****.
Quote:
I'd rather have gasoline. Don't assume that everybody has the charging areas you brag about having in your area. We don't.
Again, you don't HAVE TO HAVE THEM IN YOUR AREA! You only have to have them on long road trips, and everywhere in the country has them well within the range of modern EVs. Just because YOU don't SEE them while driving around doesn't mean they aren't there! That's the effin point. Use an app or website like PlugShare to see where they are in your area and in the areas you are going to be driving to. I'll bet you'd be surprised at the locations that you can't currently SEE (they don't have large signs like gas stations).

Let me ask the question again. ARE YOU DRIVING MORE THAN 300 MILES EVERY DAY or even every WEEK?

Listen, if you tow heavy loads, or have a sales job that keeps you on the road for 8 hours a day, yes, they are not ready for you yet. But actin like they are not ready for anyone is bull****, which is exactly what you are doing when you repeat those right wing talking points that everyone knows where they come from. No one, (not even you) expects every gas powered car to be 100% perfect for 100% of every driving situation. Miatas are no good for towing a 4 horse trailer. GTIs are no good for a family of 7. F350s are bad at daily commuting and twisty back roads. but MOST people drive just themselves under 40 miles a day. Which means that for MOST people, EVs will work for daily use. Also most households have more than one car already. Having one as an EV will improve the efficiency of the entire US fleet, clean up the air, and save people a lot of money over the course of ownership. I have an EV for daily driving and road trips. I have a gas convertible sports car for weekend back road romps. I have an 8.1 liter Suburban 2500 to tow my 35 foot travel trailer every month. EVs and gassers can live in harmony in my mind and driveway because I'm not a closed minded twit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive