Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 09:38 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I'm gonna just shoot out related tire questions as I have them. Please feel free to pick up any topic and offer your advice.

I found that many -- not all but many if not most -- tire and rim spec data don't refer to the WIDTH of the rim. Is this because once the RIM DIAMETER is determined, the width is also limited to a range that the tire will fit the rim?

Right now I have 225/55/16; I don't know what the rim size is. Online I see different data. I hope to change the tire to 275/45/16, which will give me the same tire diameter overall. I see these tires: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...xes-tq/p/88244 but the tech data does not mention rim size. Can I assume they will fit just because the rim and the tire are both 16"?
https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...on-my-sidewall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 12:15 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Michelin has been going downhill since we burned or spread Agent Orange on their most productive rubber plantations in Vietnam in the 60s.
Tires aren't made from natural rubber. They are made from synthetic rubber made in a chemical plant.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:19 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
I'm gonna just shoot out related tire questions as I have them. Please feel free to pick up any topic and offer your advice.

I found that many -- not all but many if not most -- tire and rim spec data don't refer to the WIDTH of the rim. Is this because once the RIM DIAMETER is determined, the width is also limited to a range that the tire will fit the rim?

Right now I have 225/55/16; I don't know what the rim size is. Online I see different data. I hope to change the tire to 275/45/16, which will give me the same tire diameter overall. I see these tires: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...xes-tq/p/88244 but the tech data does not mention rim size. Can I assume they will fit just because the rim and the tire are both 16"?
The wider tires have a high probability of rubbing on your fender wells. You can't really just increase width like that.

And no, you can't assume they will fit if the wheel diameter is the same. Some tires require a wider wheel.

Old 03-05-2023, 01:51 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Tires aren't made from natural rubber. They are made from synthetic rubber made in a chemical plant.
I disagree with you, hundreds of "ingredients" go into today's tires, but much of it is still natural rubber.

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/how...20plasticizers.

Plus, the time frame I'm talking about is the 70s, but today 90% of natural rubber comes from SE Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel...ber_Plantation

Old 03-06-2023, 12:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I disagree with you, hundreds of "ingredients" go into today's tires, but much of it is still natural rubber.
another nice diagram of tire composition. (~60% of components are degradable, especially during time and light (UV) and heat) Tires often live in such conditions.
https://www.ustires.org/whats-tire-0
https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...s/tire-mixture

Old 03-06-2023, 06:47 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Explain this movie scene: Car's engine is revving loud, the car is trembling, there is white smoke coming from the back wheel wells; looks like driver is burning tire, but the car is sitting there at the same spot.

What is going on with the car? I have seen this several times in movies, but I can't figure out what is happening. Is the driver hitting gas pedal and brake pedal at the same time?
The front brakes are on. And the front brakes have better grip than the rear tires.

Drag cars have line locks - electromechanical switches that lock the brake line to the front brakes. Press the brakes, lock the front closed, let off the brakes - the fronts are held the rears roll free. Then pop the clutch with your two free feet and pow, burnout.

It also helps in drag strips that there is a water box to put your drag slicks in to burnout, because you want to warm up the rubber for better grip.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:47 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
The front brakes are on. And the front brakes have better grip than the rear tires.

Drag cars have line locks - electromechanical switches that lock the brake line to the front brakes. Press the brakes, lock the front closed, let off the brakes - the fronts are held the rears roll free. Then pop the clutch with your two free feet and pow, burnout.

It also helps in drag strips that there is a water box to put your drag slicks in to burnout, because you want to warm up the rubber for better grip.
The younger generations missed out on a lot the "fun with cars" experiences with the almost total transition to front wheel drive.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:47 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:

No way that will fit. As an example, some Chevrolet Trax come with 16x6.5" wheels, with 205/70/16 tires, while other models come with 18x7" wheels, with 215/55/18 tires. So the wheels are 0.5" wider with only a 10mm tire width difference. You are talking about a 50mm tire width difference.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:02 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
They are 16x7.5" rims

You cannot put a 275 on a 7.5" rim. It would have a huge bulge, a lot of sidewall flex, and handling would suffer. When you look up the tire specs on sites like tirerack, they typically give you a recommended rim width. Generally you max width about 2" wider than the rim with as a rule-of-thumb. So for a 7.5" wide rim, you want to stay around 9.5" wide max for a tire width, which is 240mm.

You can probably get a 245/50/16 on there, as i've mounted that size on 16x7.5 mustang wheels before. probably the widest I would go.

245 width tires are what the Mustangs with 17x8" wheel options come with. I've seen folks stick 275's on those and even those have tons of bulge. I wouldn't recommend. You should run a 9" wide wheel for a tire that size.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:49 AM

12,433 posts, read 9,529,208 times
In addition to the concerns raised by other posters re rim width compatibility, the tire also has to clear the fender and steering and suspension parts, and with a big increase likely won't do that. You should check what the clearances are now from the front tires to any point on the car, and account for the fact that when you're cornering, the sidewall position will shift - if the the sidewall presses against a fixed steel part while it's spinning fast, you could have a front blowout while cornering, which would be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive