Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 09:05 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A truck with a long bed is my favorite, but a lot of people like extra room the bench at the back provides. What I like about a long bed in a truck is that one has a lot of room to stretch when sleeping. Short beds and a topper aren't the most comfortable to sleep in, specially for tall people.
That and that I have a lot of pets to consider in a bugout. Hence the crew cab, pile them all into where I am at and cargo to the rear......or hitchhikers to economy class as this thread started.

Driving a crew cab, I have made good use of it over the years. Took my work crew to lunch once. Another time when doing a campout, the breads and other cardboard box stuff carried there. Or split high and low value gear between the locked and alarmed space and that which is not. As far as stretching out in that bed, done it pretty nicely for me, feel like Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back (behind the scenes pic of Ford like that when in the pit in the floor of the Falcon).

I haven't tried camping/sleeping back there in the bed yet, the cab is more available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 10:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That and that I have a lot of pets to consider in a bugout. Hence the crew cab, pile them all into where I am at and cargo to the rear......or hitchhikers to economy class as this thread started.

Driving a crew cab, I have made good use of it over the years. Took my work crew to lunch once. Another time when doing a campout, the breads and other cardboard box stuff carried there. Or split high and low value gear between the locked and alarmed space and that which is not. As far as stretching out in that bed, done it pretty nicely for me, feel like Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back (behind the scenes pic of Ford like that when in the pit in the floor of the Falcon).

I haven't tried camping/sleeping back there in the bed yet, the cab is more available.

I taught myself to sleep in a Honda Accord when I was in night school. I'd sometimes get a power nap at lunch or after work and before class. I have the Acura (Accord with lipstick now) and I still sometimes resort to napping there. The seat reclines pretty far. They hold an enormous amount of stuff too between the trunk and the backseat.

I never imagined Tamara as a truck person. I'm still trying to adjust to that concept. Puts another spin on things. I am super unfamiliar with all the character references so I am lost on that count. Next you're going to tell me she's tall.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:32 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
........I never imagined Tamara as a truck person. I'm still trying to adjust to that concept. Puts another spin on things. I am super unfamiliar with all the character references so I am lost on that count. Next you're going to tell me she's tall.
That's an iffy, of what brought me to this point.

Growing up, there was always a station wagon in the family, my high school car was a Volarie (what car to give the teenager for the risk involved?).....but never a pickup truck in the family. So the mentality of having something you can stick a cooler in for far off grocery shopping or something to load "the kids" in was always there......just inside and never outside.

I was leaning to getting a pickup truck in the mid 90s but the family dissuaded me, talking about all the disadvantages and none of the advantages. Curiously enough, at that time, I was moving into scuba, the parents were pushing off a lot of the camping gear on me, I had started my marine biology work, (Oldsmobile had ended the classic Cutlass) but getting a pickup truck was not in the conversation.

At the turn of the century when I was looking for a new car, Mom looked at all I did and said.....Perhaps you need an SUV? Fate guided to me Subaru. I was first looking at Cherokees and Jimmys but I would have to spend a lot more past the basic package to get something to really serve me but with Subaru, that all came as standard.

The Outback was all sleek and sexy....and 10 grand more than what I could afford. So I got the Forester instead and loved it ever since. The Forester and the Outback were described at the time, in one way of looking, "The Forester you sit in like a truck, the Outback you sit in like car.".......so the die was cast.

Move another decade forward to buying the ranch and looking at building my home from all the surplus material out there, like pallets of brick here and there. The Forester is great...up to 2000 lbs towing but past that, I would need something else. Hence, that sent me out, with the inheritance, looking for a pickup truck and having no clue of what I needed. I just wanted something used because since I was going to use it for work, getting it banged up was less of a concern.

The crew cab was because of the animals, I had 5 then. It would come in nice to have some pretty, pretty boys to help load bricks and stuff, but that never came about and I had someone build the house instead.

But, as things go, while the F-250 has not been used at full or dreamed capacity, it has been used for a lot. Hauling lots of dive gear. Chuck wagon. Transfer of the emergency generator between meeting the delivery truck at the road and then my pickup down to the house (100 yards of dirt road). Hauling wood between cities for construction of a dive work bench. Bug out vehicle. Bringing a chest freezer home. Hauling recycling into town. A potential contributor to horse evacuations.

So I guess my personalty has always been like that.....if with nudging from Fate. And if my parents were around today, what would they say? "Hey, Tamara, your Mother and I have not seen you for a while, so why don't you and your cats come up for the weekend? And bring your truck, your Mother has seen some things at Lowe's she wants to get for the garden.".

Old 11-19-2023, 06:39 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This morning, I had stopped at my pull over slot, a shoulder area to let the faster traffic get past me, when a hiker ran up behind me. First I saw him on the road before stopping, then in my mirrors, then at my open shotgun window. He asked for a ride to the main road, I told him to hop in the back, in the truck bed. Took him to that gas station, he got out, thanked me.....and hear I am, reporting to you.

Now, a thing or two to clarify. Riding with me in the crew cab would be impossible because my pickup is filled up for numerous trips in this festival season. Secondly......I travel with an HK USP in one handed ready next to me.

So, two things. First, does driving a pickup truck, of having that ability to have people in "economy class" and away from you, make us more friendly to offer a ride? Secondly, if one is giving such rides, what are the thoughts of having a ready blanket, either to hand out from the cab or in a box in the bed, to let them use or even have?

to answer the question in the title, and not your situation...

'bout 8 years ago DW borrowed her dads spankin new Tundra I-force v8 fully loaded whizbang, and when she brought it home she goes "oooo I feel like 'Truck Bi**h'"

I take it that means she loved it.

And one of her fav vehicles to drive I own is in fact our square suburban. So THAT gal runs warm in 'real' trucks.

Aside from that, in todays age its hard to give people rides. Even if you are big burly strong man like me (as she calls me). Even if you are armed. Unless you are 15ft away with the pistola trained center mass, safety off and trained to kill, it wont save you being armed IN a vehicle. In fact thats the FIRST thing they teach you in Cop/MP/FBI/Secret agent school.

The lack of humanity and normalization of scum bags has put us here. Every scenario is case by case.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:40 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

I never imagined Tamara as a truck person. I'm still trying to adjust to that concept..

heckfire, since joining here I have read her posts, I not only imagine her as a truck person, Im pretty sure she carries knives and oft an AR15 on her back.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
to answer the question in the title, and not your situation...

'bout 8 years ago DW borrowed her dads spankin new Tundra I-force v8 fully loaded whizbang, and when she brought it home she goes "oooo I feel like 'Truck Bi**h'"

I take it that means she loved it.

And one of her fav vehicles to drive I own is in fact our square suburban. So THAT gal runs warm in 'real' trucks.

Aside from that, in todays age its hard to give people rides. Even if you are big burly strong man like me (as she calls me). Even if you are armed. Unless you are 15ft away with the pistola trained center mass, safety off and trained to kill, it wont save you being armed IN a vehicle. In fact thats the FIRST thing they teach you in Cop/MP/FBI/Secret agent school.

The lack of humanity and normalization of scum bags has put us here. Every scenario is case by case.
Yeah, I agree. That's what the Army instills in you. The ability to pull the trigger. People don't get that. They think it's a technical thing. Yes, there is actual real training with AR-15's, rocket launchers, grenade launchers and other weapons and you low crawl with live bullets flying over you and people die in training. But, the actual capacity to pull a trigger is forever instilled in you. That's the real training. And, there is a large number of people in the US trained for that.

It sounds like a truck based vehicle is a must have in your marriage -- LOL.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
heckfire, since joining here I have read her posts, I not only imagine her as a truck person, Im pretty sure she carries knives and oft an AR15 on her back.
I get confused with all the character references and it does sound like she is Ex-CIA or Something.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Does driving a pickup truck affect one's nature?
Per title: yes, if:
1) age 16
2) living in Texas, at a y age (or passing through Ft Collins as a 'coal roller')

Per OP intent... Hauling hitchhikers in rear bed....

1) liability (you never know who's going to smack you (errant / distracted driver))
2) legality (how many seat belts do you have vs. passengers?) That's the first question the cops (or lawyers) will ask.
3) control of passengers (Raiders of Lost ark, truck scene)
4) drawing unwanted attention, especially in Texas! Border patrol. (Anti- Stealth )

50+ yrs of pickup ownership, only had 'bed riders' while in the field, fetching bales.

Picked up lots of hitchhikers. Strangers are the last people I would allow in the pickup bed. Sacrifice the family (and pets) first. Farm dogs would be truly disappointed if they weren't riding in the bed, on top of the toolbox or bulk fuel tank.

YSMV

Old 11-19-2023, 08:00 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
My observation is that an overwhelming majority of the a-hole drivers I encounter on the road every day are large pickup drivers.
I guess it varies by region, but here in Metro Denver, many of the a-hole drivers are actually compact cars, like Honda Civics and various flavors of Subaru. And don’t get me started on how bad they are when driving in snow. People like to claim that it’s the SUV drivers who think they are invincible, but at least here in the suburbs, it’s the little cars that tend to be more of a hazard. If they aren’t sliding around on the road and driving too fast for conditions, they’re stuck at intersections with their two front wheels with small tires pathetically spinning around, trying to gain traction.

Re: the original question, never really thought much about this, but I do use my truck to help people haul and move things quite a bit in addition to using it for my own needs. I don’t mind it at all and I enjoy helping people out. Probably wouldn’t be the same with a smaller vehicle.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I guess it varies by region, but here in Metro Denver, many of the a-hole drivers are actually compact cars, like Honda Civics and various flavors of Subaru. And don’t get me started on how bad they are when driving in snow. People like to claim that it’s the SUV drivers who think they are invincible, but at least here in the suburbs, it’s the little cars that tend to be more of a hazard. If they aren’t sliding around on the road and driving too fast for conditions, they’re stuck at intersections with their two front wheels with small tires pathetically spinning around, trying to gain traction.

Re: the original question, never really thought much about this, but I do use my truck to help people haul and move things quite a bit in addition to using it for my own needs. I don’t mind it at all and I enjoy helping people out. Probably wouldn’t be the same with a smaller vehicle.
I always put snow tires on my 4-door sedan and when a storm hits it's the 4WD people in their expensive SUVs with their wheels pathetically spinning because you actually need winter tires more thatn 4WD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive