Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 02:52 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,861,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Maybe all depends on the place you live at and the type of vehicle they drive? I mentioned before that in Alaska we have all kinds of vehicles, including a lot of pickup trucks and SUV's, but aggressive drivers have nothing to do with vehicle kind nor paint color. However, if one develops a dislike about any vehicle or its paint color, then that's what one pays attention to. Maybe something about a driver or even a black color pickup truck ticked you off in the past

This is something similar: lest say that your favorite automobile is a Honda Civic. In this case you will notice a bunch of Honda Civics on the roads. Then you sell your Civic and start driving a Toyota Corolla. All of the sudden you start noticing a bunch of Toyota Corollas on the road, specially the ones with the same paint color as yours
Interesting observation. I'll have to contemplate this for a while. Can't think of any particular instance, where a black pickup wronged me, but it may be just what I perceive, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2023, 02:56 PM

7,627 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Interesting observation. I'll have to contemplate this for a while. Can't think of any particular instance, where a black pickup wronged me, but it may be just what I perceive, too.
I got run over by an SUV (as a pedestrian). So, my black pickup is an SUV (I didn't get the make, model and color -- maybe it's in the paperwork somewhere).

I did have a black pickup parking on the street perpendicular from me (that I could see from my house) for a couple hours a couple times a week it seemed like for years. I assume he was a spy I do not particularly trust black trucks (or black vehicles in general) LOL.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:35 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Others are free to speculate trigger instinct or the services associated with such.....but I can't touch that subject here. Wrong forum and that is not the thread.

On pickups, I suppose a big realization might be, an awakening, is this realization that one suddenly has all this room because of no roof with their rolling home. Granted, there is a point that all this room might still be wrong such as noted on the issue of hitchhikers and I thank for advice there.

But, as said, I am a scuba diver and it is so much easier, on site, with the handling of all the heavy gear and muck. From getting it there, to the not too hard dressing......to the very difficult undressing and then just placing one's wet and dirty with dirt gear in the truck bed.

It is not the scene that Madison Avenue shoots, of sitting on the big cooler in the truck bed to peel off a wet suit and dive into cowgirl boots, towel, and sweater (or such a scene when I was refueling after the lake) but it is very workable and unconfining, no need to perform contortions to return to civilization.

It is possible to do it with an SUV, the higher off the ground the better. Whether like that or the tailgate of a pickup, there is something to strapping on/off the heavy tank gear on that "ledge". The reason why I got into SUVs was that the time I was replacing my Corsica, I was heavy into my marine biology and water pollution to work. The Corsica did have a nice deep trunk for gear and coolers but it was better for the gear than the human who had to use all that. So I wanted something more and Mom suggested the SUV.

That works and I've used my Forester a lot for diving and camping very nicely (and I've seen things done with Foresters like with moonroofs that makes that seem like the better choice there)....just that the pickup does it, for things with lots of gear intensive, more.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That and that I have a lot of pets to consider in a bugout. Hence the crew cab, pile them all into where I am at and cargo to the rear......or hitchhikers to economy class as this thread started.

Driving a crew cab, I have made good use of it over the years. Took my work crew to lunch once. Another time when doing a campout, the breads and other cardboard box stuff carried there. Or split high and low value gear between the locked and alarmed space and that which is not. As far as stretching out in that bed, done it pretty nicely for me, feel like Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back (behind the scenes pic of Ford like that when in the pit in the floor of the Falcon).

I haven't tried camping/sleeping back there in the bed yet, the cab is more available.
I have two trucks with regular short beds (about 6-1/2' long), and there is enough room on the bed to open a 5-foot cot and mattress to sleep on. But room for a tall person is limited. One of the trucks, a 2013 Tundra, belonged to my oldest son who passed away this year (he was 38, got sick and died in the hospital). A very handsome young man who was loved by a lot of people. When on the road camping and fishing-if he was not towing his travel trailer-he would sleep in the bed inside a sleeping bag, but since he was tall he had to leave the tailgate down. One of those nights a black bear tried to grab his sleeping bag (with him inside) and pull it down from the truck's bed. He was a light sleeper, and yelled at the bear a couple of times. The bear ran away in fright

However, you can always have a topper installed over the short bed and make enough room to sleep inside comfortably. But having a truck with a long bed (some have long beds that are wider too) gives you a lot more room than a short-bed one. You lose room from the cab, and gain room for the bed.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:54 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I always put snow tires on my 4-door sedan and when a storm hits it's the 4WD people in their expensive SUVs with their wheels pathetically spinning because you actually need winter tires more thatn 4WD.
Snow tires always help when driving on ice and snow. Lots of FWD and other vehicles wearing Blizzak tires right now (Fairbanks, Alaska). But there is a huge difference when sitting up high in a truck or SUV when driving as the snow falls (or through deep snow), and this relates to visibility. If I am sitting in my Corolla during those road conditions visibility as not as good as if siting in one of my trucks. There is something else as follows: the taller tires, even the not very tall 65R18" on my truck, do not affect the steering (steering wheel shaking) like the smaller tires on my Corolla do in the same road conditions. Taller tires like these handle dips and bumps, or just travelled roads, a lot better than the ones on my Corolla.

Old 11-22-2023, 10:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Since it is both dangerous and illegal and since I am not paranoid, having pick up truck bed makes no difference to me. I do not need a ticket, nor do I need the liability if someone got hurt. If I am going to offer the hospitality of a ride, I am not going to make them freeze and endanger their lives. I just give them a ride. I offer people a ride on a regular basis. Most of the time they say no thank you.

If is far more likely that someone will pretend their shoulder or back got hurt while riding in your pick up bed and sue you than it is that they will threaten or harm you physically for giving them a ride. If you are to afraid to give someone a ride in a car seat with a seat belt on, then owning a pick up exposes you to greater threat. You probably should not be giving them a ride at all. There is also an apparent likelihood that you will panic and shoot them if they sneeze or move suddenly. Someone who is not as paranoid will eventually come along and give them a ride, just continue on your way.

Old 11-22-2023, 03:02 PM

5,833 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Body on frame construction I thought is great over bumps until I drove a new ram and was laughing how pathetic the whole thing was. And people lay 70-90K for these rigs?

I’ll take a 3 year old S class and drive in style like a gent I always was. Americans and sophistication don’t go along well.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:27 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
In general i don't offer folks rides. But even if i did, I'd probably get pulled over the first cop I pass if they see i had a person riding in the bed.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:14 AM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Normally my answer would be that I don't pick up hitchhikers. With that said, while living in Colorado, I have a couple of times picked up a stranded motorist from beside the road in winter. Seems like every winter someone runs into a snowbank and dies out there. In those conditions, I can't in good conscience leave someone stranded out there.
When I was living in Colorado and got a flat on my Wrangler in the northern mtns, a guy and girl in their early 20’s like myself stopped to help. It was awesome, but I really didn’t need it, but was good to know these people exist.

After I rolled said Wrangler going from one freeway to another during evening rush hour in Twin Cities, a guy stopped and asked if I needed a ride out of there….asked if I was drunk and he’d take me away….hahaha I wasn’t, but I thanked him! Another guy going opposite direction on freeway saw it happen and pulled onto center shoulder and played frogged across 4 lanes of solid traffic to make sure I was ok, which I was.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:02 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

This is something similar: lest say that your favorite automobile is a Honda Civic. In this case you will notice a bunch of Honda Civics on the roads. Then you sell your Civic and start driving a Toyota Corolla. All of the sudden you start noticing a bunch of Toyota Corollas on the road, specially the ones with the same paint color as yours
Exactly! I want a 78/79 or even a 80/86 Bronco/F150 to restore and its amazing how many I have started to see since I've started looking.

Never had a bright red vehicle. Bought a 3rd gen Dodge Ram in flame red and I cant believe how many of the same model/color I've seen in the past year since I bought it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive