Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

2000 and I will change my tone when you quit sounding like my ex wife.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
I have an uncle with a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the turbo diesel... it has 417K miles he said last week! Original engine, not rebuilt, tranny rebuilt twice!

My cousin has a 1998 Dodge 2500 diesel.... not sure of the miles, but he has never complained.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM

103 posts, read 310,842 times
I own a 2008 Dodge cummins and a ford with a cummins swapped in. Imo the cummins is the best engine, the allision is the best auto but real diesels have 3 pedals. the fords have the biggest and nicest interiors, the chevys ride the best, the dodge can take a beating but doesnt ride as smooth or have as big of a back seat

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselperformanceidaho View Post
I own a 2008 Dodge cummins and a ford with a cummins swapped in. Imo the cummins is the best engine, the allision is the best auto but real diesels have 3 pedals. the fords have the biggest and nicest interiors, the chevys ride the best, the dodge can take a beating but doesnt ride as smooth or have as big of a back seat

Nawww, real diesels don't have ANY pedals....just 4 sticks, two throttles and two F-N-R gear sticks.

My four sticks are hooked to a pair of 12V-71TI Detroits (the old 2 strokers) swinging 32 square props. Nothing like pushing those bad boys to the wall and pointing the bow out into the Atlantic Ocean, with a half dozen paying customers aboard!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselperformanceidaho View Post
awsome I would love a ford f350 with a 6.7 cummins turbo diesel backed with a allison tranny kinda a best of the best all in one.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Nawww, real diesels don't have ANY pedals....just 4 sticks, two throttles and two F-N-R gear sticks.

My four sticks are hooked to a pair of 12V-71TI Detroits (the old 2 strokers) swinging 32 square props. Nothing like pushing those bad boys to the wall and pointing the bow out into the Atlantic Ocean, with a half dozen paying customers aboard!
yes. but i can drive mine to work and play plus it can be parked almost anywhere. where you going to park your boat in north idaho?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
awsome I would love a ford f350 with a 6.7 cummins turbo diesel backed with a allison tranny kinda a best of the best all in one.
go 5.9 the emission stuff is a pain in the hooha

Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Well I had considered in the future buying a boat.

Cut back on the testosterone huh? Guess I should also sell off my muscle cars too?

A minivan is not for me. A full size van "might" be a go. But really a truck is more me, plus I can use it to haul stuff with. Can't really do that with a van...well you "could" but a truck is 10X easier.

Sorry no minivans here, I'll leave those for all the soccer moms.
Good answer, man.

Drive big trucks!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
On a recent trip across the U.S., my wife and I discovered our 2007 Honda CRV was really too small to haul all of our stuff plus the baby's stuff. As of now we have one small child but we plan for another. Just with our stuff and the baby's stuff alone the SUV was packed.

I've decided for our next vehicle I want to purchase a full size quad cab truck. That way it can fit all of us comfortably, and all of the cargo can go into the bed - I'll either install a tonneau cover or a truck cap to keep it secire/keep the rain and weather off of it.

I've never owned a truck with a diesel before, but in the little bit of reading I have read they not only (usually) have more power than a typical gasoline V8, but they also get better fuel economy.

For instance....as of now I'm considering buying an older Ford F-250 with the 7.3 liter powerstroke, since I've been advised the 6.0 liter powerstroke was plagued with all sorts of engine issues. I was reading how some owners were claiming they were getting 15 mpg in town with their powerstrokes whereas their trusty Triton's were only getting maybe 10 at best.

But I don't know, so I thought I'd ask about diesel powered full size trucks. What do you have? How do you like it? What kind of mpg are you getting? Does yours get better mpg than a similar model with a gas engine? (i.e. Silverado diesel vs. Silverado w/5.3 L/6.0 L gas V8)
Go for it. You will soon find that such a truck is too much (maintenance, fuel, insurance, etc) and lose a ton of money on it. But at least it was your choice.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:00 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Go for it. You will soon find that such a truck is too much (maintenance, fuel, insurance, etc) and lose a ton of money on it. But at least it was your choice.
Oookkk.. I wasn't planning on a resale anytime soon. I wouldn't think the maintenance would be much different than a gas powered truck. And unless diesel has skyrocketed again haven't checked to see what it was in a while) I wouldn't think I'd be in the poor house with fuel costs....unless I was doing a lot of stop n go driving with the a/c on. Also since it's an older vehicle I wouldn't think insurance would be much more than what I'm paying now. I guess I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive