Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times

Advertisements

I just recently drove this new to me 1995 Chevy Diesel with trailer from Sacramento. CA to Dover, Maine with all my stuff. My truck was full and the trailer was packed tight and kind of heavy. It is 8x12 so it was much wider than the truck. I got 11 miles per gallon all the way. Since I got back to Maine, I have taken the top commercial cover off and it gets 18 mpg around town. Probably over 20 mpg on the highway.

I just bought the truck and trailer to get my stuff out here. I will sell it soon. I bought the truck for $5k and the 2 year old trailer for $1.2k. The truck had 120k miles when I bought it. About 125k now.

It ran perfect with zero problems. I had an oil change before I left and another when I got back to Maine. I had visions of being stuck on the highway in the middle of nowhere. I guess I lucked out.

I did a lot of research and hunting for the right truck back in Sacramento a few weeks ago. I found out lots about diesels. I know that the Powerstroke and Cummins were for heavy duty towing. The Chevy 6.0 diesel was for lighter towing. All have their strengths and weaknesses. And non turbos diesels are cheaper to buy used. But I was convinced that the diesel would be better and it was. I was going to keep the truck around Maine and put a plow on it but I have since decided not to do that and sell it.

HTH's

At our first stop near Reno at Boomtown

Another picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Methinks you should cut down on the junk you carry instead of buying a 4-door pickup...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I was going to keep the truck around Maine and put a plow on it but I have since decided not to do that and sell it.
Although many people do this, you don't want to put a plow on a diesel-equipped truck. It will make the nose way too heavy and severely affect the components.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Although many people do this, you don't want to put a plow on a diesel-equipped truck. It will make the nose way too heavy and severely affect the components.
On GMs you crank up the torsion bars.

I know quite a few who put plows on the front of Diesels with no issues. Most would add timbrens to bolster the suspension.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
What components specifically? Why restricted to diesels?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM

29,437 posts, read 14,623,440 times
I've got an '01 Dodge Ram/Cummins quad cab. I love the truck, did a bunch of research , new about the lift pump problems and the weak trans'. So when the trans did start to go, after 50k miles of towing a small offshore powerboat (26'/#6500) in the summer and a 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter (26'/#7500) I was ready to replace it with the right components. I had DTT send me some components the dealership installed them with the new trans under warranty and I've been fine ever since. I also installed a FASS fuel pump/filtration system to take care lift pump issues, along with slightly larger injectors , Edge module, UMP air filter, 3.5" or 4" exhaust (don't quite remember) Bilstien shocks and a Kore performance suspension.

I love the truck.. it's got 140k on it and it's still going strong. I will say the quad cab is not really that big though. It's good for 2 people and some luggage or three people.. four is kind of pushing it.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Methinks you should cut down on the junk you carry instead of buying a 4-door pickup...
Well clearly you've never had to travel across country with small children. You have to pack more for them than you do for yourself...clothes...playpen...stroller....that takes up pretty much all of the room in the rear compartment....and that's just for one child.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Well clearly you've never had to travel across country with small children. You have to pack more for them than you do for yourself...clothes...playpen...stroller....that takes up pretty much all of the room in the rear compartment....and that's just for one child.
Uh, I have. Two, actually. Although both of them are grown now.

I used to take my children on road trips during the summer time from they were toddlers to teens. Up, down, east, west. I've even used my Chevette for long/costal trips with two kids. I've never needed a 4-door pickup...just what in the world are you carrying?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
What components specifically? Why restricted to diesels?
Diesels are much heavier than gassers. When you put a plow on a diesel, the nose of the truck becomes much heavier. In some cases, you could be going beyond the manufacturer's front GWR cutoff.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
On GMs you crank up the torsion bars.
What are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive