Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,465,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Then tell me how a quarter of ton of lithium batteries and 60,000 gallons of airplane fuel don't blow-up a plane ( if the fire theory fits) when the plane continues to run for another seven hours on cruise control to a predetermined destination, including 7 or 8 keypunch, as in a genius ingratiating manner, AFTER the pilot was determined to have passed of hypoxia. ( pertaining to this conversation)
The thing is we DON'T know there was a fire, we DON'T know if or when the pilot passed out. What I am saying is that the mathematics of Doppler shift (which used to be a navigational aid on aircraft - look up Doppler Velocity Sensing) correlated with the Ping of the satellite bring the aircraft to a spot in the area they're currently searching. Given the amount of fuel on board, even if the plane was flying a very conservative fuel burn, it couldn't have made it anywhere else except to the ocean. After three weeks in that ocean, it would be highly unlikely that anyone would survive.

Sure, you could say "There's a chance for survivors" but you know and I know that that would be more irresponsible than telling the reality of the situation - that no one has survived.

As far as the fire theory goes... The 777 is very fire retardant. Even if a pallet of batteries somehow ignited, it doesn't necessarily mean the fire had an endless supply of fuel to burn. Aircraft, specifically the 777, are pretty well equipped to deal with fires in a large variety of ways. This doesn't necessarily mean that a burning pallet of lithium ion batteries would fail to cause incapacitation but it does mean that the fire very well could have burned out.

The fuel tanks are in the wings. In a previous post I mentioned that if 60.000 lbs of fuel on board caught fire, it'd do quite a lot. That was in response to someone who was concerned about the batteries. My point was that correlation does not equal causation. Just because there is a presence of a known flammable on board does not indicate that it flammabled. :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,638,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You weren't responding to every other post that he made, you were responding to one post, the one that I quoted again for you. In that post, he was saying that you could say it was alien abduction just as easily as you could say it was anything else because there is no proof of a single thing.

"The plane crashed in to the Indian Ocean". Really? Where's your proof?

"It was an alien abduction." Really? Where's your proof?

What part of that do you not get?
I wasn't aware it was necessary to quote every single post he made in the entire thread to use sarcasm to point out alien abduction is ridiculous. He posted previously the most probable cause was aliens. So in other words...

You didn't bother to dig a little deeper and see if he was serious about aliens or not. Now you're trying to save face by clinging to the technicality of what was in the specific post I quoted rather than admit you're wrong and defending someone with a loony hypothesis. There's just as much evidence for Care Bear abduction as there is for alien abduction, which is to say none.

Since this is off-topic, I'm just going to drop it after this.

Last edited by Hesster; 03-26-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,039,594 times
Well I've been reading this thread from the beginning as well as the one in P&OC....many of us posting in that thread didn't waste time on the poll. I think the answers there are a mix of sarcasm and sincerity. What I find amusing is that because I state that, without any concrete irrefutable evidence, nothing can be ruled out, I am branded a conspiracy theorist. Please. I am just someone who is not arrogant enough to think that my opinions are better than anyone else's.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,736,064 times
Maybe more along the lines of aviation than all the whodunit babble....Kind of interesting that a 50 odd year old aviation design is leading the search isn't it......

The plane that will find Flight 370? - YouTube

Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 AM

43,702 posts, read 44,464,744 times
122 objects spotted in search area in the Indian Ocean, says Hishammuddin - The Malaysian Insider

Old 03-26-2014, 06:08 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Didn't need to fly to the middle of the Indian Ocean to prevent the loss of life on the ground in case of a ditching.

I could see though, staying in the air long enough to gain sunrise if possible or close to it before ditching it that was the only choice.

Even so, the pilot could have stayed not too far offshore and know that he would attract attention.

If you are going to ditch no matter what, why fly to where any hope of rescue is out of the question rather than stay close to land and gain whatever chance, no matter how slight.

1. Plane's condition for landing is hopeless.

Decision: A. Fly as far away as you can from any possible assistance no matter how slim or;
B. Head offshore, stay closer to land but not over it and run the fuel out or dump it and try as best you can to stay in one piece with a water ditching?

"A" seems hard to imagine.
If he were losing consciousness, he might have only had enough time to program a few turns. He would have had to program hundreds of turns in a tight area to stay close to land until it ran out of fuel. Why he did it, may have been to stay aloft as long as possible with the hope that the fire or smoke would dissipate over time and he might regain control.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I wasn't aware it was necessary to quote every single post he made in the entire thread to use sarcasm to point out alien abduction is ridiculous. He posted previously the most probable cause was aliens. So in other words...

You didn't bother to dig a little deeper and see if he was serious about aliens or not. Now you're trying to save face by clinging to the technicality of what was in the specific post I quoted rather than admit you're wrong and defending someone with a loony hypothesis. There's just as much evidence for Care Bear abduction as there is for alien abduction, which is to say none.

Since this is off-topic, I'm just going to drop it after this.
Oh spare me. The fact is, you didn't read the line I pointed out, now you're acting like it's my fault that you didn't comprehend the post you responded to...whatever. You look even worse trying to explain yourself than you did, originally.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,658,033 times
Quote:
This doesn't necessarily mean that a burning pallet of lithium ion batteries would fail to cause incapacitation but it does mean that the fire very well could have burned out.
Please forgive me for asking this question again.
I know it is probably stupid but could the batteries have burnt through, left a hole in the plane and fallen out?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If he were losing consciousness, he might have only had enough time to program a few turns. He would have had to program hundreds of turns in a tight area to stay close to land until it ran out of fuel. Why he did it, may have been to stay aloft as long as possible with the hope that the fire or smoke would dissipate over time and he might regain control.

Isn't the big question: Why didn't pilot or copilot or other crew member send out a MayDay ? I cannot understand why a pilot who wanted to commit suicide take down an aircraft full of innocent people. He could have taken up a private plane and offed himself that way. Now Fox News this morning is touting the idea that his wife "left him" the day before and he couldn't handle it. I don't buy that theory for a minute. In my simple female mind, I'm thinking it was a bungled hijack. Having only two choices, the pilot turned the plane southwest rather than fly into the territory demanded by the hijackers.

Allegedly more debris (120 or so pieces) have been found; and now the question is, why can't they (or have they) gathered some of it up to identify parts as being from the 777. ?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Isn't the big question: Why didn't pilot or copilot or other crew member send out a MayDay ?
I cannot understand why a pilot who wanted to commit suicide take down an aircraft full of innocent people.
He could have taken up a private plane and offed himself that way.
Now Fox News this morning is touting the idea that his wife "left him" the day before and he couldn't handle it.
I don't buy that theory for a minute. do you?
The pilot could be completely innocent and a hero.
However, we know nothing.
So, his family issues coupled with his political involvements (the opposition leader
being arrested)...who knows if he was using the plane in any negotiations with the Government...
that being the reason Malaysia kept so secret in the beginning.

I know, I know people are rolling their eyes.....I know nothing...which basically means
anything could be possible. What started out as one thing coud have
turned into another..I watch too many espionage movies...I am going with the pilot
did the best he could and succumbed to fumes like the rest of the poor passengers..

However, if you don't understand the suicidal mind...it is bec it is not a normal mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation