Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Isn't the big question: Why didn't pilot or copilot or other crew member send out a MayDay ? I cannot understand why a pilot who wanted to commit suicide take down an aircraft full of innocent people. He could have taken up a private plane and offed himself that way. Now Fox News this morning is touting the idea that his wife "left him" the day before and he couldn't handle it. I don't buy that theory for a minute. In my simple female mind, I'm thinking it was a bungled hijack. Having only two choices, the pilot turned the plane southwest rather than fly into the territory demanded by the hijackers.

Allegedly more debris (120 or so pieces) have been found; and now the question is, why can't they (or have they) gathered some of it up to identify parts as being from the 777. ?
EgyptAir Flight 990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,924,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Well I've been reading this thread from the beginning as well as the one in P&OC....many of us posting in that thread didn't waste time on the poll....
P&OC? Haha...as crazy as this thread is, I can only imagine how the thread is there. The people that post there are not quite normal. I assume they are blaming either Bush or Obama for the crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Does anyone else wish that new posters would take the time to read through at least some of the previous posts? I've read all 2156 posts. It's getting very repetitious. We know very little about what happened. It's almost all speculation.
Wow you read the entire thing? Glutton for punishment. Basically, since the last 2,156 posts are all wrong, speculation, and/or just nonsense, the mods can simply delete this entire thread and we can start over. Not a bad idea.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,659,396 times
Anybody see this? They say it looks like a fire extinguisher from the cargo of a 777?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Anybody see this? They say it looks like a fire extinguisher from the cargo of a 777?
Interesting. It does indeed resemble a fire bottle. I've seen them in person, though not the 777's. I'd like this find to be verified by a trustworthy new source though, ATS is shady. In any case, the investigators would find that piece valuable if it is a fire bottle as they could see if the extinguishing agent is intact inside or if it was used. Note those types of bottles are used for engine, APU, or even baggage compartment fires.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,570,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The pilot could be completely innocent and a hero.
However, we know nothing.
So, his family issues coupled with his political involvements (the opposition leader
being arrested)...who knows if he was using the plane in any negotiations with the Government...
that being the reason Malaysia kept so secret in the beginning.

I know, I know people are rolling their eyes.....I know nothing...which basically means
anything could be possible. What started out as one thing coud have
turned into another..I watch too many espionage movies...I am going with the pilot
did the best he could and succumbed to fumes like the rest of the poor passengers..

However, if you don't understand the suicidal mind...it is bec it is not a normal mind.

At least in the USA (maybe not other countries), I have been told by retired flight crew folks that I know that they routinely undergo meetings with the airline's psychologist(s). At the slightest indication of issues or fears, they are sent to the company "shrink" and put on furlough. Incidents of pilot suicide are extremely rare according to what I've learned (USA). There are multiple other methods to commit suicide and even if they were compromised psychologically, they don't set out to kill 239 people.

I'm going with the question about why no one called in a MayDay. The turning OFF of communications before the last communication is very suspicious. Yes, I believe the pilots may have done the best they could if they were actually the ones at the controls. I don't think they were both at the controls. And I don't even watch espionage movies.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,741,518 times
Quote:
I have to tell you, I have personally spent several thousand hours flying low and slow over the IO. It's so full of junk that they are going to have a heck of a time looking at everything.....

Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,108,340 times
Quote:
I've become one of the foremost aeronautical experts on this thread over the past couple weeks and I can confirm that this object is likely one of those fire extinguisher doo-hickees (likely from the port side). However I'm also now somewhat of an expert Ocean-Currentologist and there is no possibility that wreckage from the Southern Indian Ocean near Australia (a distance of over 3,500 miles) would have made it to the Maldives this soon. My guess is that bottle is probably from some other plane crash that the Malaysians haven't reported yet or it was placed their as a sick prank.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM

43,743 posts, read 44,505,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Isn't the big question: Why didn't pilot or copilot or other crew member send out a MayDay ? I cannot understand why a pilot who wanted to commit suicide take down an aircraft full of innocent people. He could have taken up a private plane and offed himself that way. Now Fox News this morning is touting the idea that his wife "left him" the day before and he couldn't handle it. I don't buy that theory for a minute. In my simple female mind, I'm thinking it was a bungled hijack. Having only two choices, the pilot turned the plane southwest rather than fly into the territory demanded by the hijackers.

Allegedly more debris (120 or so pieces) have been found; and now the question is, why can't they (or have they) gathered some of it up to identify parts as being from the 777. ?
There already was a situation with a suicidal pilot that caused the death of all of his passengers besides himself. The NTSB confirmed that it was pilot invention that caused EgyptAir Flight 990 to crash. So it is a possibility now as well.

The possibility of pilot suicide - The Hindu
EgyptAir Flight 990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 AM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Interesting. It does indeed resemble a fire bottle. I've seen them in person, though not the 777's. I'd like this find to be verified by a trustworthy new source though, ATS is shady. In any case, the investigators would find that piece valuable if it is a fire bottle as they could see if the extinguishing agent is intact inside or if it was used. Note those types of bottles are used for engine, APU, or even baggage compartment fires.
Chapter 26-23, 777, AIPC, D633W111-TRX-0070

Says parts for a 777.

Have to say, that's what it looks like. I don't know if it is, just saying it sure does look like it, doesn't it? Interesting.

Link with the photo of the object in question:

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54153

Edit: Here's a map for reference, (just zoom out). Strange a part would end up there if it were from the flight...but then again, nothing about this makes sense, so who knows.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...UyME1hbGRpdmVz

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-26-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,742,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've become one of the foremost aeronautical experts on this thread over the past couple weeks and I can confirm that this object is likely one of those fire extinguisher doo-hickees (likely from the port side). However I'm also now somewhat of an expert Ocean-Currentologist and there is no possibility that wreckage from the Southern Indian Ocean near Australia (a distance of over 3,500 miles) would have made it to the Maldives this soon. My guess is that bottle is probably from some other plane crash that the Malaysians haven't reported yet or it was placed their as a sick prank.
The object was found under the area that the plane flew OVER. No one said it floated up from the Indian Ocean.

Also, if you read that article, the "experts" are saying it was not a fire extinguisher but a bomb. Who knows??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation