Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,571,225 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we just give ourselves too much credit as people. Perhaps the technology to track every single step of a flight isn't fail safe, and the actions of another human to turn off satellite tracking shows our infallibility. What I see all the time is a fall sense of security from individuals and groups of people. They choose to think positively, ignoring the fact that negative things can and do happen. An entire industry, insurance, is predicated on this underlying awareness.

What I'm saying is maybe SOME technology exists, but it's not perfect. Yes, we do know the planet very well, but there really aren't any people on large, large swaths of this green earth. No one. Someone or something can go missing to never be seen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,091,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Any articles that talk about what ships are in the same area the debris have been located? I am only finding articles about search planes. Surely, ships have made it to the area by now.
Yes! why can't they clamp onto the ships with a giant clamp and just fly a bunch of them the 1,500 miles out to the debris field?!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
1. They used analysis from the British air accident agency (AAIB) and the Immarsat satellite company. They concluded that in the last known position of the plane, it would be in a position where it would not have enough fuel to reach land
Initially, they could only limit it to an arc going north and south, stretching for thousands of miles. They then applied "ground-breaking" mathematics that had never been done before. What if they are wrong?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,775,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That is just ridiculous that the entire flight is not recorded. That needs to change.
Yes it must change. No it was not ridiculous. You have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. At some point you have to trust some employees and recording the whole flight is essentially saying you do not trust your pilots. If we are at the point of no longer trusting the pilot, I would much rather see them put something in to prevent a pilot from commandeering a flight rather than simply telling me after the fact what happened.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:08 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Any articles that talk about what ships are in the same area the debris have been located? I am only finding articles about search planes. Surely, ships have made it to the area by now.
China said a week ago they were sending ships, including a fuel ship, to refuel planes or helicopters, or something, on site. No news on that since then, though.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM

542 posts, read 692,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Initially, they could only limit it to an arc going north and south, stretching for thousands of miles. They then applied "ground-breaking" mathematics that had never been done before. What if they are wrong?
They tested their theory on planes that they did know the location of.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,856,088 times
question on the flight crew (flight attendants), I haven't heard anything from the experts on what their responsibilities are (trained for) when they realize something is going wrong. With the abrupt change in direction (they would have realized it), and probably not being able to reach the pilot, what procedures would they be required to follow? Wouldn't they have the ability to communicate with air controllers, or someone on the ground? These people are trained to do alot more than serve refreshments, they are an important part of any flight problems that come up. Yet I've heard nothing about what they would have been trained to do.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM

39 posts, read 59,284 times
Originally Posted by wankel7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not in 15-25m seas - this is one rough passage that not many ships want to cross.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM

39 posts, read 59,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
question on the flight crew (flight attendants), I haven't heard anything from the experts on what their responsibilities are (trained for) when they realize something is going wrong. With the abrupt change in direction (they would have realized it), and probably not being able to reach the pilot, what procedures would they be required to follow? Wouldn't they have the ability to communicate with air controllers, or someone on the ground? These people are trained to do alot more than serve refreshments, they are an important part of any flight problems that come up. Yet I've heard nothing about what they would have been trained to do.
During 911 - the hijackers rocked the jets side to side and up and down to toss everyone to the floor. At that point the crew would have been busy trying to comfort pax and see to their injuries. The only phones that operate above FL35 are sat-tels.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times
Looks like they found the plane's crash location. The amount of debris showing up in sat pics is starting to be overwhelming evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation