Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 09:13 AM

13,422 posts, read 28,829,055 times

Advertisements

3 weeks tomorrow....I feel so bad for the families as this has to be agonizing. It's been a roller coaster of wrong info for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,214,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I told you at the time, pictures of debris in the water is "evidence" of nothing more than there is debris in the water. There is no evidence that it is from a plane, much less this plane. And now search authorities won't even label it as "debris" and have moved the search area by 680 miles.

Young said Australian authorities had concluded a series of satellite images taken over the old search zone showing objects floating in the ocean did not show aircraft wreckage.
"In regards to the old areas, we have not seen any debris," he said, adding that he would not classify anything satellites or planes have spotted as debris. "That's just not justifiable from what we have seen."

New objects sighted as Flight 370 search shifts dramatically - CNN.com
I said it first

Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,189,284 times
What a clusterf...

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM

7,413 posts, read 12,764,589 times
All we now know is that there is crud everywhere in the ocean...

But something still bothers me (and it may have been addressed above, although I don't remember seeing it): I thought some sort of sensor was supposed to go off if the plane hit the water more or less intact, and to my knowledge it never did. Pure circumstantial logic leads to the conclusion that the plane ended in the Indian Ocean, and it probably did--but has anyone explained the absence of that sensor signal? Or was that just another piece of nonsense thrown at the world media?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,880,180 times
if this latest "spot" turns out to be a bust like all the others....I think the media will slow down on the coverage. Anderson Cooper sounded quite disgusted last night that instantly they are expected to just forget about all these 130 pieces of "something" and move on to the next location. I don't think they really know anything about what happened to this plane.

Unfortunately the families will have to go on for YEARS with all the legal bs involved with this. It really disgusts me that the families are being offered $5k, I hope they don't sign any release forms, but we all know this is probably worth 6-7 figures per family. They are taking advantage of their grief and the fact that most probably have no financial expertise.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:03 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,666,483 times
Everybody probably got together and decided it was too dangerous for the search teams to keep searching in that area. It's not like they would find survivors and the black box would most likely be at the crash site rather than floating for miles.
It's like they have been on a heroic wild goose chase that might end in more deaths.
I'm glad they quit searching there, all we hear is how much garbage there is floating around.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM

102,362 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
if this latest "spot" turns out to be a bust like all the others....I think the media will slow down on the coverage. Anderson Cooper sounded quite disgusted last night that instantly they are expected to just forget about all these 130 pieces of "something" and move on to the next location. I don't think they really know anything about what happened to this plane.
Why do they think the debris would be near the site of where the plane went down, anyway? If they now think the plane went down to the northeast of where they were searching, the old debris could well be from the plane anyway. They should check it out. The debris isn't going to conveniently stay in the same place, it's going to move around with the currents.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-28-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,639,553 times
This is a bit of a frustrating story. We get these "leads" with no followup. BREAKING NEWS: 220 objects spotted, 130 objects spotted near the 220.

4 days later and no info on what these 300+ objects were. Only that they are moving the search area 600 odd miles because they found out the plane was going faster due to some math error. Whoopsie, spent a week almost searching the middle of the ocean for nothing!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,569,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Everybody probably got together and decided it was too dangerous for the search teams to keep searching in that area. It's not like they would find survivors and the black box would most likely be at the crash site rather than floating for miles.
It's like they have been on a heroic wild goose chase that might end in more deaths.
I'm glad they quit searching there, all we hear is how much garbage there is floating around.
All that garbage out there, but they couldn't get their hands on one piece of it. It seems very convenient that this new search area is in calmer seas, and closer to shore, so they can search longer. If they miraculously start finding pieces of the plane, it is going to seem pretty suspicious. Oh, we used high-tech super-duper whopper doppler to find the plane here, but ooops, we were wrong, it's here. I imagine the family members are furious right about now.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM

102,362 posts, read 108,650,974 times
What if some of the debris they saw in the old location actually is from the plane?

Now they'll never find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation