Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM

7,279 posts, read 11,013,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I told you at the time, pictures of debris in the water is "evidence" of nothing more than there is debris in the water. There is no evidence that it is from a plane, much less this plane. And now search authorities won't even label it as "debris" and have moved the search area by 680 miles.

Young said Australian authorities had concluded a series of satellite images taken over the old search zone showing objects floating in the ocean did not show aircraft wreckage.
"In regards to the old areas, we have not seen any debris," he said, adding that he would not classify anything satellites or planes have spotted as debris. "That's just not justifiable from what we have seen."

New objects sighted as Flight 370 search shifts dramatically - CNN.com
Doesn't matter what you told me.

I used the word "seems". I did not say they actually discovered the plane. No one on this thread, including you and including me really know where the plane is or why it happened that it is missing. Perhaps you have a crystal ball, I don't.

We all have opinions here, nothing more and all are as valid to post as any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,888,401 times
I do think it has something to do with the winter coming and they knew they would never get much more decent searches in, no less find the plane at the bottom of the ocean. They don't want to lose any search team members and I think alot has to do with $$$. So, it's better for them to move the site someplace with "less" weather and closer to land to they can make more searches and still keep the families calmed down. They were probably getting close to the point where they would have to call off all searches in the more southern area and that would have caused all heck to break out.

I know i'm being cynical and I'm truly hoping this spot is the one that will give up some sort of evidence. The pic I saw just looks like a rectangle (shipping container) just like some of the others did, although the photo is alot clearer.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,805,209 times
I for one believe the guys searching know what they are doing so if they think moving the search area is the right thing to do, how can I second guess that decision? I am sure they have access to information and analysts that know far more than the hacks hired by CNN. They are well aware that the whole world is watching them and I am sure want to solve it as much as anyone else.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM

23,174 posts, read 12,366,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I used the word "seems". I did not say they actually discovered the plane. No one on this thread, including you and including me really know where the plane is or why it happened that it is missing. Perhaps you have a crystal ball, I don't.
You also used the word "overwhelming" to describe the evidence that they had found the crash site. I don't see unidentified debris as evidence at all, much less overwhelming.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,255,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I for one believe the guys searching know what they are doing so if they think moving the search area is the right thing to do, how can I second guess that decision? I am sure they have access to information and analysts that know far more than the hacks hired by CNN. They are well aware that the whole world is watching them and I am sure want to solve it as much as anyone else.
NO! damit. all the experts needed are right here. put us in a command center with headphones and hot-lines and buzzers and we'll get things done!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,921,854 times
I'm dismayed to think that they told those families that they had found the debris. I'm surprised that the initial information from the British has proved to be false. I'm in awe to think that now the real debris is somewhere else.

I do think they're trying as hard as they can but with confusing evidence and not much to go on, horrible search conditions, and having to coordinate search efforts of many countries, this cannot be easy. I know this is not true but wouldn't it be wonderful if (big stretch of imagination here) someone found the plane intact or even wrecked but on land!

Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,958,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
All we now know is that there is crud everywhere in the ocean...

But something still bothers me (and it may have been addressed above, although I don't remember seeing it): I thought some sort of sensor was supposed to go off if the plane hit the water more or less intact, and to my knowledge it never did. Pure circumstantial logic leads to the conclusion that the plane ended in the Indian Ocean, and it probably did--but has anyone explained the absence of that sensor signal? Or was that just another piece of nonsense thrown at the world media?
If it did go into the Indian Ocean, the black boxes could be up to 23,000 feet below the surface, so if they could pin point an approximate location where the aircraft might have gone down, ships and aircraft would have to be within a very close radius of the devices that generate beacon signals on the black boxes in order to know where to send a submersible vehicle to retrieve them.

Sean Hannity put it best the other day when he described trying to locate the aircraft and the black boxes, and I'm para-phrasing: "It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, the only problem is, they can't find the haystack".

Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,958,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is a bit of a frustrating story. We get these "leads" with no followup. BREAKING NEWS: 220 objects spotted, 130 objects spotted near the 220.

4 days later and no info on what these 300+ objects were. Only that they are moving the search area 600 odd miles because they found out the plane was going faster due to some math error. Whoopsie, spent a week almost searching the middle of the ocean for nothing!
With any objects that get spotted by satellites, authorities that are involved in the search won't actually know about them until hours later since many of the photographs will have to be processed and evaluated. Keep in mind also that with satellite's that are in constant orbit around the earth, won't be above the same point where objects were found until 24 hours later and by then, strong ocean currents will have shifted the debris away by hundreds of miles.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM

3,593 posts, read 3,777,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm dismayed to think that they told those families that they had found the debris. I'm surprised that the initial information from the British has proved to be false. I'm in awe to think that now the real debris is somewhere else.

I do think they're trying as hard as they can but with confusing evidence and not much to go on, horrible search conditions, and having to coordinate search efforts of many countries, this cannot be easy. I know this is not true but wouldn't it be wonderful if (big stretch of imagination here) someone found the plane intact or even wrecked but on land!
In the beginning I think Malaysia was just trying to figure out what happened and they didn't want to reveal the plane had crossed back over their land. Since then they seem to be transparent and in finding the plane, working with other countries and try to solve this mystery. The earth is absolutely massive and it can't be easy.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,218,348 times
All I know for sure is that the super duper anti-submarine spy planes we are using are not worth the billions of dollars sunk into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation