Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,669,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What if some of the debris they saw in the old location actually is from the plane?

Now they'll never find it.
For all we know, they did find it and it was just a bunch of junk or broken up ice (like one pilot said) and they are embarrassed to tell us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,326,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
All we now know is that there is crud everywhere in the ocean...

But something still bothers me (and it may have been addressed above, although I don't remember seeing it): I thought some sort of sensor was supposed to go off if the plane hit the water more or less intact, and to my knowledge it never did. Pure circumstantial logic leads to the conclusion that the plane ended in the Indian Ocean, and it probably did--but has anyone explained the absence of that sensor signal? Or was that just another piece of nonsense thrown at the world media?
I think you're referring to the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT). I'm only familiar with those designed for small planes but imagine they're all similar. The ones I've seen are designed to activate in a crash (from forward Gs). They transmit to a passing overhead satellite (and in some cases, to an overhead aircraft radio tuned to the standard emergency frequency), and it can take a couple hours for a satellite to pass over the crash site and receive the (line of sight) transmission.

The problem with that "couple hours" is that ELTs don't transmit much from below water, especially deep water. So if the ELT activated, there may have not been a satellite to receive the signal for a couple hours, and in that couple hours, it could well have sunk to the ocean floor. Also, they don't always go off as planned. If there's not a sudden forward stop, it may not activate. If the plane isn't intact when it hits, it may not activate. I think it's safe to say, in this instance, either the ELT did not activate or it had sunk into the ocean before a satellite passing overhead was able to receive the signal. They do have their own batteries, so that's not a problem; however, the batteries are only designed to last for a month or so.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
NO! damit. all the experts needed are right here. put us
in a command center with headphones and hot-lines and buzzers and we'll get things done!
Well, all that and the chick from Homeland.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,552,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Sean Hannity put it best the other day when he described trying to locate the aircraft and the black boxes, and I'm
para-phrasing: "It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, the only problem is, they can't find the haystack".
I heard an official say it was like looking for a needle in
a pile of needles.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,960,444 times
One person I heard on the radio made a statement that "We aren't looking for a needle in the haystack, we don't ever know where the haystack is !" I think that is probably very true. But this latest sightings of "debris" may be the most credible yet........at least I hope so for the families sake.

Don

Old 03-28-2014, 09:37 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,928,945 times
Night is upon us now on our side of the world. That means it's morning over there and the ships should be arriving on the scene. Maybe they'll find something that they're looking for. With the ships being there, I think they could actually pick things up, not just see them from afar.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,595,374 times
I hope you are right.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:06 PM

10,650 posts, read 10,777,438 times
[quote=my54ford;34043894]I have to tell you, I have personally spent several thousand hours flying low and slow over the IO. It's so full of junk that they are going to have a heck of a time looking at everything.....[/quote]

What did I tell ya?
http://news.yahoo.com/plane-search-r...opstories.html

Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 PM

7,279 posts, read 11,013,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You also used the word "overwhelming" to describe the evidence that they had found the crash site. I don't see unidentified debris as evidence at all, much less overwhelming.
So what? It was my opinion and you seem to have a problem with that. You have nothing better do do than focus on the word "overwhelming"? Ok then:

It "seems" you are "overwhelmed" by the idea someone has an opinion and posted it. Must the tough.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
So what? It was my opinion and you seem to have a problem with that. You have nothing better do do than focus on the word "overwhelming"? Ok then:

It "seems" you are "overwhelmed" by the idea someone has an opinion and posted it. Must the tough.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The thread will just go from 'slander' versus 'opinion', when slander doesn't apply. You can guarantee that if I am in the discussion, it will be a beyond bizarre story. Flight 370 is the most bizarre, confusing happening that has personally twisted my head, 180 degrees in the opposite direction. It almost goes with the multiple places to search for any debris from the plane. A massive headache.

What they are following now is the plane never traveled for an additional seven hours. It couldn't ( according to math and psychics) because the GLC never emitted a signal. Likewise, it could even be calculated as being on a deserted island/runway since the GLC never transmitted.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 03-29-2014 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation