Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 PM

102,447 posts, read 108,880,609 times

Advertisements

If the US military needed Wood's skills or knowledge, couldn't they just have offered him a job, or otherwise approached him in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 PM

7,729 posts, read 8,827,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If the US military needed Wood's skills or knowledge, couldn't they just have offered him a job, or otherwise approached him in the US?
I was thinking along a similar line. If it were true, what could have been the motive? Certainly not to kidnap Philip Wood.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,893,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I was thinking along a similar line. If it were true, what could have been the motive? Certainly not to kidnap Philip Wood.
Comeon. This is standard stuff to fake. Nothing interesting. Anyone with a little skill can do it. You got a mess of encoded image with some text tied to it. You edit the text make it when and wherever you want it.

You would need metadata and high confidence meta data to every believe any of this.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,669,228 times
Prime Minister Abbott's speech yesterday reminded me of Colonel Shaw speaking about the 54th. I really like him.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,938,025 times
Yeah, I like Abbott's speaches. Maybe it's the accent, but he is genuine and reassuring.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,938,025 times
Maybe there is a chance that a U.S. Navy sub has located the wreckage. Thus the reason why they are sending the Phoenix device out on an Australian ship.

The Navy never gives the location of it's subs, so they bring in the Pheonix who happens to hear the ping and the wreckage is found.

Could happen, right?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

20,847 posts, read 17,214,841 times
They are fishing in a big ocean.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:16 PM

134 posts, read 445,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This is what I currently believe. I don't know anything about the mechanics of planes so I can't explain it either. Just a fire, smoke, pilots not able to function, fumbling to try to save the plane, somehow the navigation system gets messed up so that they're heading south but all are unconscious or dead. The plane flew itself until it ran out of fuel and fell out of the sky.

I don't know if the plane's computers can get viruses but I did hear something about a possibility of being able to program something via a cellphone. That would be a terrorism or hijacking scenario.
From what I was told and also read about from maintenance documentation, much of the aircraft is a closed loop system. Meaning, the only way to import/export data is to be a maintenance worker that has access to the data ports to load anything.

A person aboard an aircraft would not have access. They would have to do it from outside the passenger area (ie, in the belly of the plane). Even the pilots can't import/export anything from the cockpit.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,932,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Maybe there is a chance that a U.S. Navy sub has located the wreckage. Thus the reason why they are sending the Phoenix device out on an Australian ship.

The Navy never gives the location of it's subs, so they bring in the Pheonix who happens to hear the ping and the wreckage is found.

Could happen, right?
And a submarine would locate how? And why would a submarine committed to locating the wreckage location be secret?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM

1,456 posts, read 2,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And a submarine would locate how? And why would a submarine committed to locating the wreckage location be secret?
They have very sophisticated electronics that are able to hear pingers (and lots of other things) and then geo-locate them... The US does not publicized the location of their subs. In order to reveal where the MH370 wreckage might lie, they would also be revealing the approximate location of the sub. Hence they might well be saying to the Aus Navy, "hey, go look there, you might find something interesting, wink, wink...." It's also possible the sub picked up a pinger's general direction/location and they need the Phoenix to home in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation