Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:10 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Kids are kids and sometimes there isn't anything in the world that will make them stop crying or fussy other than time. This is especially true for babies. Please don't blame parents for crying and fussy kids. I'm sure they are doing their best not to be the center of attention but because they can't get their kids to stop "annoying" everyone on the plane, doesn't mean they are not trying.
This is true. However I have seen far more parents make no effort to control their kids than parents that at least try to calm down their kids.

The next time a kid is crying or being fussy, why not try your best to calm them down. Engage them in conversation. I'm sure they may shut up for at least a few minutes and you may just feel a little less annoyed. Of course you can always say "hey, that's not my kid and not my responsibility" but the old saying that it takes a village to raise a child will always be true.
It is not my responsiblity to raise someone else's kid. If the kids life is in danger I will take action. That is where any obligation I might have towards that kid ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Never had problems with children on a plane at all, its the half wits who cant sit on ther erses that annoy me. they seem to thnk standing in a queue for the toilet as soon as the lights go on to take off your seatbelt is compulsory. and jam the aisles for the stewardesses who are trying to do their job... the other peeve from me is the overhead bags that for some daft reason have to come down five mins after being put up there.. saw one man pull down a large holdall and hold up the stewards for five mins prowling for a teddy bear... then the ingorrant ones who put their seats back straight away and leave it that way thorughout the flight... its like an animal claiming its territory and drives me bananas.. Can you imagine these sorts in a crash when everyones told not to inflate your lifejacket till out the plane.......NO ones telling me what to do.. Ill damn well jam up the aisle for others and save ma own life....wheres my whistle.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
So I was on this horrible flight yesterday with several small kids aboard. I really don't have anything against kids, but sometimes they can be too much when people are confined in such a small space. There was just constant yelling, baby noises, crying, and then like a 5 minute scream fest when we hit some moderate turbulence. It's already bad enough being cramped up on a full flight, and it just makes it all the more uncomfortable when parents let their kids misbehave.

To be fair, I have been on flights when kids have been well behaved. I was on a 3 hour flight recently and the kid next to me slept the entire way. He was asleep before we even took off. I wonder if his grandmother gave him something.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with kids when flying?
I don't really mind but i've yet to be on a flight that has had loads of crying kids.

I can understand their crying etc but I don't think I could cope if the flight was full of crying kids. It would be horrendous.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
Let me be the Devil's advocate for once....
I hope you guys realize that sometimes people are not vacationing, and the parents have no other choice but fly with their kids... for instance if they relocate and driving is not an option, or more serious reasons.
Last October we had to fly our dynamic, healthy looking daughter to NYC for her to get a life saving surgery. How do you know the annoying kid you're flying with doesn't have a condition? Or that he usually behaves well, but got scared on flight, something the parents could honestly not have predicted?
And remember that often, when one child starts crying, all the other kids follow (it's the same thing in school or daycare).
Yes, children can be annoying, some parents may not do anything, but most are trying.... so please give them the benefit of the doubt. You may not know the whole story!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
A considerate parent has a plan of action for these occasions. A considerate parent won't allow their children to be rude people. So we know there were several inconsiderate people on your flight. I think we've all btdt, on flights, in restaurants, in stores. I don't get it. Then the parents making loud proclamations about their kids for all to hear....cuz you're king/queen over your kid. Stop subjecting us to it. Do your job.
Whew. I feel better, thanks.
On the other hand, sometimes kids are gonna cry.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,778 times
I'd rather have kids on the plane, than snakes on a plane!!!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,318,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I'd rather have kids on the plane, than snakes on a plane!!!
Or terrorists.
Honestly, although I too like my peace and quiet, I'd rather have annoying children around and stay alive than be on a quiet fly that ends up being hijacked or whatever.
It's just a flight, not the end of the world.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:40 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Amazing how all these *complainers* forget what kind of *lousy attitude*
they had when *they* were that age ....

Get over it !

Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Interesting thread. I have been on some flights with some very poorly behaved kids and idiot parents who ignored it. What I don't get are the families who pay to fly everyone to go see their grandparents. Unless their grandparents are in poor health, why not spend the money to fly them to see the grandkids? It would probably cheaper than flying the whole family.
When our kids were young, we offered many, many times. They declined. Flying everyone to _____ was our only option if we wanted to see them. I'm truly sorry if there are people out there still seething about the time my child threw up in the Atlanta airport. I know it was awful. Believe me, I was mortified! It was probably the single lowest point of my experience traveling with my children, and I will forever be grateful to the gentleman who saw our distress and ran to the restroom to get towels and a plastic trash bag to mop up the mess while I hurriedly changed my son into clean clothes. We made the flight with seconds to spare. That man was a knight in shining armor, and I regret that I never got the chance to thank him properly.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 AM

84 posts, read 87,522 times
I think it is undesirable to travel by a plane having a child younger than ten years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation