Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times

Advertisements

My right to peace trumps your right to travel.
Signed,
Childless person

My right to travel trumps your right to peace.
Signed,
Person with child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
My three year old wants to go to Disney but that would mean a 3 hour flight. We are practicing for it and I have said not til she can listen and be good and quiet for the 3 hours will we go. My last flight was seven hours to LA with a whiny kid kicking my seat behind Me. While the parents had headphones on and ignored it! If they can't behave, don't bring em.
Oh the seat kicker. I can take crying but not the seat kicker. Why is it the parents of these types won't address the bad behavior of their kids? I feel for you on that 7 hour flight.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,241 times
I have been flying with my daughter since she was 1 yrs old. No problem. She was always quiet and happy and we fly back and forth to Germany from.

Helpful tips; fly when they sleep ie at night or keep them up until you get to the airport so they will sleep on the flight.
Bring their fave toy, blanket, even tablet or books and headphones.
Give them plenty of snacks and fluids and get seats that are either in the front or try and sit to the side and close to the restroom. My daughter likes to stretch and walk around.

I think these parents just dont really know how to parent or they dont care. Some have nannies who care for the child so they have no clue as to how to soothe them on a flight. Bring some headphones and suggest to the flight attendant to give them liquids and snacks and tell the parents to walk them around or let them stretch. kids are frustrated, tired, ears popping, anxious, etc. they will scream or cry.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:24 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Oh the seat kicker. I can take crying but not the seat kicker. Why is it the parents of these types won't address the bad behavior of their kids? I feel for you on that 7 hour flight.
Next time it happens, do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp043py-Rqs

Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
So I was on this horrible flight yesterday with several small kids aboard. I really don't have anything against kids, but sometimes they can be too much when people are confined in such a small space. There was just constant yelling, baby noises, crying, and then like a 5 minute scream fest when we hit some moderate turbulence. It's already bad enough being cramped up on a full flight, and it just makes it all the more uncomfortable when parents let their kids misbehave.

To be fair, I have been on flights when kids have been well behaved. I was on a 3 hour flight recently and the kid next to me slept the entire way. He was asleep before we even took off. I wonder if his grandmother gave him something.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with kids when flying?
as long as the kid isn't kicking my seat or puking on me, they aren't gonna bother me. I can handle all the screaming any kid can dish out. I don't know why some people seem to be so incapable of dealing with simple distractions.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
2 things:

1. I've noticed many of the wee ones start crying when the altitude/pressure changes - when climbing to cruising altitude or descending from. We adults wiggle the jaw or pinch the nose and puff gently. The wee ones don't know this trick.

What can be done to help the wee ones? A teething ring/device? A pacifier - the nipple sucky thing. A bottle? Gently pinch their nose and make a puffy cheek face at them? Tell them global climate change is a conspiracy? (I'm a man of science)

2. The experienced traveler always packs ear plugs - noisy airplanes or hotel rooms. (you going to sleep all night wearing noise canceling headphones?) What if traveling parents packed a couple of dozen disposable ear plugs to share with the vicinity?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
What if traveling parents packed a couple of dozen disposable ear plugs to share with the vicinity?

It's been done!

Twins on flight: Parents hand out sweets and ear plugs to placate fellow passengers | Mail Online

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM

542 posts, read 691,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
2 things:

1. I've noticed many of the wee ones start crying when the altitude/pressure changes - when climbing to cruising altitude or descending from. We adults wiggle the jaw or pinch the nose and puff gently. The wee ones don't know this trick.

What can be done to help the wee ones? A teething ring/device? A pacifier - the nipple sucky thing. A bottle? Gently pinch their nose and make a puffy cheek face at them? Tell them global climate change is a conspiracy? (I'm a man of science)

2. The experienced traveler always packs ear plugs - noisy airplanes or hotel rooms. (you going to sleep all night wearing noise canceling headphones?) What if traveling parents packed a couple of dozen disposable ear plugs to share with the vicinity?
My sister did that - brought earplugs and little index cards with an apology note written on them. (Luckily, my baby nephew is a champion flyer).

Supposedly you can get the earplugs that you wear before you take off to avoid the pressure changes. (Although I don't know what happens if they fall out once you're at cruising altitude - I'd imagine it would really hurt? A loud popping sensation?) I know as a younger child my ears did hurt a lot, sometimes affecting me for a while after landing despite all kinds of chewing and swallwing (and that really is an awful pain), but not once I grew into my teens. I don't know if it's a biological thing or not.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I used to fly a lot for business. My company had a branch in Orlando, FL, so I've had every bad child/airplane experience there is. But the worst flight was a sold-out red-eye out of San Francisco. I was seated in a middle seat of three. Behind my row was a mother and father with a teenager between them who suffered from Tourette's Syndrome. He was very agitated and swore loudly and kicked my seat constantly the whole flight. I wasn't the only one being kept awake but I got the seat that rocked all night long. The parents acted as if nothing was happening. Lucky for them I understood what was wrong with their son. But I hope they had a very good reason to be taking that flight.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 PM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I was the second to last isle and they were in the last one. It was two kids (probably six and ten-ish) and one parent. The other parent was sitting in the row across from me. I don't get why they didn't break up the kids. Together they were kicking, jumping around, and acting like idiots. All the while the one parent ignored it and the other one slept. I wanted to sleep since I had been running around and when I got home it was going to be midnight. The thing that really gets me is letting the kids act crazy while you ignore them. I turned around and gave "the look" multiple times but it only worked for a minute before they were back to the kicking, jumping, and switching back and forth.

If my daughter did that, I'd smack her butt and tell her that 1.) her toys are going in the trash and 2.) when we got to (destination) she was going to sit in the car while everyone else had fun (not true.. But she doesn't know that.. I get you can't control infants. But expecting others to "just deal" with your misbehaving kids IS NOT OKAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation