Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
So I was on this horrible flight yesterday with several small kids aboard. I really don't have anything against kids, but sometimes they can be too much when people are confined in such a small space. There was just constant yelling, baby noises, crying, and then like a 5 minute scream fest when we hit some moderate turbulence. It's already bad enough being cramped up on a full flight, and it just makes it all the more uncomfortable when parents let their kids misbehave.

To be fair, I have been on flights when kids have been well behaved. I was on a 3 hour flight recently and the kid next to me slept the entire way. He was asleep before we even took off. I wonder if his grandmother gave him something.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with kids when flying?
Babies and young children can usually feel the discomfort of take off and landing when it comes to the pressure on their ears. It hurts. That is forgivable of course.

Misbehaving kids of a certain age can and should be told to behave by their parents, but if the parents are trying without success…not much you can do.
If you KNOW for certain the parents don't' care or aren't trying ( this I would think is very rare ) then calling a flight attendant might help.

Crying babies…ya gotta live with it…and yes I had a horrible flight with a loud, crying baby, but instead of getting mad, people seemed to have empathy for the mother.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-18-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
We recently completed a 15 hour trip from San Francisco to Hong Kong and then changed planes from Hong Kong to Singapore for another 3 hours with a three year old grand daughter. We had an iPad loaded with kid's games and videos that kept her quiet most of the time.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Mricu said it best. Things are definitely put into perspective when you have your own kids.

Last week I was stuck on the runway for a delayed flight. I felt for the parents. As much as one may hate the noise, the stress for the parents is 10 x worse.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,991 times
I'd pay extra for an adult only flight.

Last flight was delayed due to some kid freaking out. His dad had to hold him to try and calm him down. Most of the flight attendants were trying to cheer the kid up and get him to sit down and buckle up. He wailed so loud and long I figured he could not keep that up for too long before he collapsed from exhaustion. But he was a trooper and continued to scream and carry on. After about 15 minutes, and what seemed like forever, we got rolling. Just my luck as they were 2 rows back from me.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
I understand babies will cry and kids will fuss when sick. It annoys me but that is life. What I do not understand are parents that make zero effort to stop their kids from kicking my seatback. I do not understand parents that have their 6 year old dragging a 22 inch rollerboard down the aisle hitting every passenger already sitting in an aisle seat. I do not understand parents that let their precious 4 year old wander the aisle pestering other passengers. I do not understand the parent that takes the window seat and promply goes to sleep leaving their kid in the center seat to pester the unlucky passenger stuck next to them. I really do not understand parents that hold their baby up to my seatback in front of them and then think it is cute when the baby pulls my hair. I do not understand parents that expect me to hold their baby so they can settle in. I also have a problem with parents that choose to pull down the dinner tray for the seat next to me and then proceed to change their babies diaper.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
My son when younger had ear pain in the plane but never fussed about it.. but maybe other children do.. Id be mortified if any of my grandchildren caused a disturbance on a plane and thankfully never did.. as Ive said Im more annoyed at silly adults who become like children as soon as they step on a plane... one woman on a flight to Florida went into other peoples overhead space taking the blue blankets and leaving four with none for the long flight..Another woman held my hand all the way back from Greece to the UK talking all the time because she was scared of flying.. it ruined my journey as Im the type who likes to stare out the window and daydream on a flight, I dont even have conversations with my hubby.. This woman who was so terrified went twice to the toilet though....so a drama queen ... every time I tried to turn to talk to my hubby on the other side she would grab my hand again and start talking.... she must have known she was a pain... On another plane from Greece one Scots woman the worse for wear for alcohol tried to kick the stewardess because she told her to fasten her seatbelt.. she was calmed down and the flight continued when I think she should have been arrested and kept in Greece.... When we were all leaving the plane this same woman had enjoyed a long sleep and was beaming as if she had done something good to be proud of, I felt ashamed for her..... so for what Ive experienced on planes.. adults can be disgusting and ignorant.

Last edited by dizzybint; 05-19-2014 at 01:23 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
My son when younger had ear pain in the plane but never fussed about it.. but maybe other children do.. Id be mortified if any of my grandchildren caused a disturbance on a plane and thankfully never did.. as Ive said Im more annoyed at silly adults who become like children as soon as they step on a plane... one woman on a flight to Florida went into other peoples overhead space taking the blue blankets and leaving four with none for the long flight..
Well that would not go down well with my mother for she would be over complaining.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
I think parents should be understanding enough to not fly first class with kids. I had to deal with kids talking for the first hour and a half on my last flight. I fly first class to stay away from kids, let me enjoy my damn bloody mary and food in peace.

I flew when I was a kid, I think it's great for families to travel together.. but man I'm not going to lie, kids are just annoying when they don't shut up.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Amazing how all these *complainers* forget what kind of *lousy attitude*
they had when *they* were that age ....

Get over it !
I am sure I was just as annoying as the next kid. But my parents saw to it that I did not disturb others.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:09 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
I only flew with my kids a couple of times when they were small. The oldest is the most stoic person in the world and was then, too. I don't remember him ever being a behavior problem until he was a teenager.
My kids have been force-fed books since the time their little eyes opened and could focus. I took books to distract during the scary take-off/landing noises. And, of course, bottles/drinks to help get those ears to pop.
One time during take-off I pointed out the window as the ground started moving further away and my youngest started winding up for the scream. :O YIKES! "....I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I Am..." WHEW! That was a close one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation