Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM

83 posts, read 447,617 times

Advertisements

When you wrote to the landlords was your writing of a similar quality to the first post? That might be the problem. Frankly, the poor grammar makes you sound uneducated and would cast doubt on your ability to afford a property in an expensive neighborhood. If I was looking at multiple applicants and had limited time to screen them and show the property, I would choose the ones that made the best presentation of themselves over email. That may be the "secret code" you are wondering about.

If English isn't your strength then you probably want to get a realtor who will handle the communication for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM

35 posts, read 56,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Why do you need to tell them about yourself? Just say you'd like to see the apartment.
when I say I tell them about myself it is very limited never disclose race, profession, etc

Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I did say can not. As far as the other questions, at this small of a scale a landlord can deny for whatever reason they choose, except for sexual preference. Unless a landlord specifically denied a tenant because of their race and this was in writing, they really can just use any reason they would like. They could deny for credit, background, income etc on paper and have their own reasons but that would be hard to prove. If you could prove that your credit or whatever was X amount and was denied base on that yet they rented to other races with an amount less than such, you could make a case.

Frankly though, would you even really want to have that person as a landlord? I would think the hassle wouldn't make it worthwhile.
No I do not want to rent from someone who does not want to rent to me? I guess I am just trying to figure out if Baltimore is a undercover segregated city. Like I stated in my earlier post I am not a native of this city

Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillThePill View Post
When you wrote to the landlords was your writing of a similar quality to the first post? That might be the problem. Frankly, the poor grammar makes you sound uneducated and would cast doubt on your ability to afford a property in an expensive neighborhood. If I was looking at multiple applicants and had limited time to screen them and show the property, I would choose the ones that made the best presentation of themselves over email. That may be the "secret code" you are wondering about.

If English isn't your strength then you probably want to get a realtor who will handle the communication for you.
I am educated but I always assumed emails were informal? As far as my credit goes it is excellent and I have no criminal history? I usually just say hello I am interested in viewing the unit when can I schedule an appointment. That is about it and I here nothing back!!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
African as in actually from Africa or here? The issue is probably not so much your race but that they prefer not to rent to foreigners as they wouldn't be able to do a credit or background check without a SS number. It also doesn't help that any ad gets inundated with scam replies from nigerians among others.
African_American (with an African American first name) Born in the US I have lived in the US my entire life

Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM

83 posts, read 447,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
I am educated but I always assumed emails were informal?
In the neighborhoods that you're looking it'll likely be over $20,000 for a year's rent. That's enough money that I treat it pretty formally.

I don't know if it's communication or racism or something else but it sounds like a realtor will be your best bet. Look at HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments and Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale to see the listings that a realtor can handle. These transactions tend to be more professional than Craig's List with the listings often from property management firms or other realtors.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
No I do not want to rent from someone who does not want to rent to me? I guess I am just trying to figure out if Baltimore is a undercover segregated city. Like I stated in my earlier post I am not a native of this city
Although some consider Baltimore a Northern city although it is technically below the Mason Dixon line it has a long sordid history of racial and ethnic segregation. There have been a plethora of books and lawsuits on the topic as well as threads on here. For the most part Baltimore is fairly segregated although there is some integration among the poor in certain neighborhoods (Pigtown) which is relatively rare in urban America.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshhhooo View Post
Refusing to rent to someone based on their race, religion, gender, or national origin is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

I would encourage the OP to contact Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc.

Welcome to BNI
My suggestion as well. They'll be able to tell you whether or not you have been discriminated against and assist you if necessary.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
Let’s be honest to the OP here people. The problem is most likely that your name sounds "black” and that is the bottom line. The crime in this city is off the charts, and the vast majority of the violent crimes within the city limits are carried out by African Americans. So when a person of color tries to rent in a "white" district, there is a natural reluctance on the part of the private owners in renting to them for fear of the renter bringing crime with them.

Now while that might sound racist (because it is), it is also the cold hard truth.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 AM

239 posts, read 759,647 times
What email are you using? When responding to CL ads, it's not uncommon for your email to go into a receiver's junk mail folder.

It may be something as simple as who hosts your email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: