Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lang39 View Post
Original author of this post is being brutally honest. Like I stated in my last post, I too have experienced extreme racism trying to find rentals in Baltimore City. One specific example there was a condo in Mt. Vernon listed on caldwell bankers website for 1600.00 per month. I called the listing agent. She said,"hold on,ugh it has been leased". I felt she was being dishonest. Approximately one hour later I had one of my white friends call. My white friend was instantly told it was available and when was a good time to see it. Not only that my white friend was hounded by this agent. She repeatedly called my white friend offering her services. So realtors are looking to make money. I am not buying they are too busy, or just slow about responding. I have heard this far too many times. My advice to all minorites is to go to one of the large,reputable property management companies and lease an apartment. I will not name them or give the name of the company I lease from, but I will say my experience has been a positive one. Most of the realtors have prejudices about blacks. I know because of some of the comments that were made to me the few times I was actually able to schedule a showing. It is very sad I can totatlly relate to the author. My advice was stated earlier just do not hang your head over it. Move on and let these racist landlord, realtors, etc find the perfect white tenant!!!!
If that was indeed the case, yes, move on. Why give your business to someone like that?

But the same can be said for those landlords that flat out admit that they only rent to males (I was told this more than once, and was turned away - their reasoning was that males aren't as picky and fix things on their own).

Conversely, I have lived in places that admit a preference for renting only to women, because they believe we are cleaner.

But again, it is a tight rental market, so just the fact that someone isn't landing an apartment doesn't necessarily equate to racism.

Racism, sexism, whatever it might be, if they flat out say that is their reason, take your business elsewhere.

Good luck (I'm going to need luck, too, since none of these landlords are calling me back either - my plan is to show up in person next). Ironically, it was almost easier to buy a house. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM

513 posts, read 961,639 times
TS, they are private homes. They can rent to whoever they want. Call Al and Jessee if you want. They still wont rent to you.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM

35 posts, read 56,830 times
Al and Jessie get a life. It is an issue that needs to be addressed. We are not just speaking of individual owners but realty companies as well. Any excuse for the realty company you do know legally a realty company cannot violate civil rights act of 1968?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
This post originated in Jan 2012, have you found a place to live yet, j236 ? If so, how is it working out for you ? I am sure searching for housing in what you may sense is a hostile environment would be very distressing. Good luck and I hope you were successful.

I noticed a couple of posts on here from people who joined and posted practically on the same day (3). I wonder will they post anywhere else ?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
Al and Jessie get a life. It is an issue that needs to be addressed. We are not just speaking of individual owners but realty companies as well. Any excuse for the realty company you do know legally a realty company cannot violate civil rights act of 1968?
I'm Black and did real estate in NYC. Same issues there. I'll say this though the agents aren't to blame here per se but the landlords. My guess is the landlord has let it be known either explicitly or some other way that if an agent brings a Black client they won't rent to them. It's illegal yeah but money talks and these agents work on commission. So they are not going to waste their time showing you a listing you have no chance of getting approved for.

It sucks but such is life. Plenty of apartments that will rent to Blacks.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM

35 posts, read 56,830 times
Yes I did find a place. My lease will be expiring soon. No, not looking to move to Federal Hill. My original post was out of anger and frustration. I wasn't trying to start a race war. I did not grow up in this city and wanted answers as to I was having difficulty finding a place to live in certain neighborhoods. I never in a million years would have thought that Baltimore (with its diverse population) was so segregated. Trust me I have learned alot in the last year. As far as the new members posting, kudos! If this post prompted an emotion inside of them to post, I do not see a problem with that. When others chime in and share my sentiments, experiences, etc it is a somewhat sick feeling of relief. It assures me I am not paranoid?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
Yes I did find a place. My lease will be expiring soon. No, not looking to move to Federal Hill. My original post was out of anger and frustration. I wasn't trying to start a race war. I did not grow up in this city and wanted answers as to I was having difficulty finding a place to live in certain neighborhoods. I never in a million years would have thought that Baltimore (with its diverse population) was so segregated. Trust me I have learned alot in the last year. As far as the new members posting, kudos! If this post prompted an emotion inside of them to post, I do not see a problem with that. When others chime in and share my sentiments, experiences, etc it is a somewhat sick feeling of relief. It assures me I am not paranoid?
Baltimore has a long history of residential segregation by race. There is a poster on here that posts a lot about the subject. Also it isn't really that diverse.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,409 times
Hmm, I have read the posts, I do not think we have heard from any white landlords in Federal Hill. I would like to here from a landlord whom owns rental property in Federal Hill. Who are you renting to? Race,gender,socio-economic class, etc. Have you had any problems with the tenants. Can we also here from private landlords in Federal Hill that currently are leasing to an African-American or any other minority. It appears this post is filled with experiences from individuals who have not tried to lease in Federal Hill, or individuals who do not reside in this neighborhood. Come out of the dark........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: