Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM

35 posts, read 56,860 times

Advertisements

I have a question I am not originally from Baltimore. I am African American and have had a difficult time trying to find rentals in Fed Hill, Locust Point and Mount Vernon. Usually these listings or of those of private owners. Some of this listings I have found on craigslist. I will send an email tell the landlord a little about myself and hear NOTHING back!!! To test my theory of racism(because I did not want to jump to conclusions) I will have a white friend or someone with an English name contact the same landlord and get a response back immediately? Is there some secret code I do not know about. Why are private owners in particulary Fed Hill relunctant to rent to African Americans and I have spoken to other African Americans who say they have experienced the same problem and that I would fare better in Charles Village or Bolton Hill? Fed. Hill is convenient as far as work goes and to the Inner harbor which is where I would like to reside. Can these people be reported to HUD? How can I go about proving housing discrimination from private owners. I would appreciate any advice thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:43 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
How can I go about proving housing discrimination from private owners. I would appreciate any advice thanks
I guess I would contact the city's civil rights office about how to proceed. It certainly sounds like discrimination, but there may be some exemptions for owners of fewer than 5 units.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Why do you need to tell them about yourself? Just say you'd like to see the apartment.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,809 times
Agree with GoPhils, and, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. While I'm not sure how much of an argument you could wage based upon specific individuals not responding to an e-mail (versus for instance landlords showing you an apartment and then intentionally renting to someone else of a different race, etc.), if it becomes a recurrent problem you'd like to pursue, I'd maybe suggest contacting Fair Housing... Welcome to Baltimore Housing

Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,486 times
African as in actually from Africa or here? The issue is probably not so much your race but that they prefer not to rent to foreigners as they wouldn't be able to do a credit or background check without a SS number. It also doesn't help that any ad gets inundated with scam replies from nigerians among others.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Are you serious about looking for a rental, or are you just trying to find out if there are racist landlords in Baltimore? I personally wouldn't choose to live in Federal Hill simply because parking is a nightmare and it's too loud on the weekends.

There are landlords with biases out there - it's a fact, but why would you want to line their pockets with your hard earned money if they are indeed racist?

I wish you luck - and would recommend checking out Charles Village!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM

503 posts, read 807,610 times
Private property rights are a *****.

Why shouldn't the owners of a property be able to rent whomever they want, whenever they want?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
How can I go about proving housing discrimination from private owners. I would appreciate any advice thanks
Unless you have absolute proof, it is going to be really hard. Just because a landlord does not respond to your emails after you describe a little about yourself or rents to a white person after they show they apartment only proves these landlords did not respond to your email and rented the place to someone else. Nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post

Why shouldn't the owners of a property be able to rent whomever they want, whenever they want?
The reality is, you can. And every landlord does it whether they are bigots or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Why do you need to tell them about yourself? Just say you'd like to see the apartment.
I have responded to a few ads on C-list and been asked to mention a little bit about myself. A handful did not respond after I sent my "about me" emails. And I never mentioned my ethnicity, race, or socioeconomic situation.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post

Refusing to rent to someone based on their race, religion, gender, or national origin is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

I would encourage the OP to contact Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc.

Welcome to BNI

Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,766 times
I ignore all emails from people from Africa. That dang Nigerian prince got me twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: