Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshhhooo View Post
Refusing to rent to someone based on their race, religion, gender, or national origin is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

I would encourage the OP to contact Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc.

Welcome to BNI
NOT true when it comes to landlords who live in the property they are also renting in, as well as some other exceptions. If they fit within an exception, they can say right over the phone "I don't rent to black people, sorry." Is it crass and socially unacceptable? Yes. Is it illegal? Not at all.

Oh, and, for the OP--- racial discrimination in the context you describe is incredibly (almost impossibly) hard to prove. One almost always has to show a consistent pattern of discriminatory behavior that has no other legitimate explanation. I'm very close with someone who makes a pretty comfortable living defending landlords, corporations, etc. against these kinds of claims. In the 17 years he has been practicing, NOT ONE landlord client of his has been found to be engaging in unlawful discrimination. NOT. ONE. Even though some make no secret of their disdain for certain races in their everyday lives. Every now and then will there be a successful claim? Yes. But those are the cases with smoking guns (think "Texaco" type of evidence) and are usually "snatched" from the hands of individual plaintiffs by the AG's office. I wish it wasn't the case, but anti-discrimination statutes are mostly paper tigers. Racism is alive and well, though I probably do not need to tell you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:51 PM

35 posts, read 56,821 times
Hi,
I know racism is alive and well. Question for white people, have you ever tried to rent a place and told no because uou are white? Of course you cannot relate to me and the Mrs. Comfortable around of my own people how racist. Unfortunately most African Americans in Baltimore are poor! I am not. Would I want to live amongst people who do not equate my education and income level. If I want to reside in federal hill or mount vernon so what?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 7,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
Hi,
I know racism is alive and well. Question for white people, have you ever tried to rent a place and told no because uou are white? Of course you cannot relate to me and the Mrs. Comfortable around of my own people how racist. Unfortunately most African Americans in Baltimore are poor! I am not. Would I want to live amongst people who do not equate my education and income level. If I want to reside in federal hill or mount vernon so what?
I'm a little unclear as to what you were trying to convey in some of your sentences, but if I understand correctly, the gist of what you are saying is "everyone should be allowed to live amongst their own socioeconomic class without regard to race."

I agree, but on a practical level, under-the-table segregation is a fact of life in our current society. However, I doubt every single landlord in the area you desire is racist. The only color most landlords care about is green: if you have it (and pass the requisite background checks, etc.), they're game. I encourage you to keep applying in the places where you want to be. Don't focus so much energy on those who do not want to deal with you. Forgoing a tenant with strong income, credit and rental history is a loss for the landlord, and no one else.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM

35 posts, read 56,821 times
Hi sorry about bad grammer. I tend to forgo proper english when I am writing off emotions. What I am saying is that last year I inquired about 20 to 30 listings in primarily federal hill and mt vernon. I did not even recieve a courtesy follow up as to the status of the listings. I think we all agree looking for a place to live is time consuming and frustrating. Now tackle that with the issue of people not wanting to rent to you because of skin color? I know it was race based because I had white associates inquire about the same listings and would always recieve a follow up about the status of the listing. I did not go out lookong for racist landlords but discovered them in my home search. Trust me I am over living in Federal Hill and try not to havi a reason to go there. My purpose for writing was to see if anyone else had this problem as you can see by a recent post, someone else has. I am not alone I believe I speak for thousands sorry if you are offended.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,720 times
I'm sorry you feel this way. I've been in the business and have worked in predominantly black cities and neighborhoods and what seems to happen more often than not in multi-family situations (apartments/condos) is that the landlord or real estate agent gets bombarded with unqualified applicants. It's not a black/white issue but as others have pointed out, socioeconomic and educational differences. I've been at properties in the City that are very highly priced and in redeveloped areas and 90% of the calls, walk-in traffic and applicants are folks who can't afford the apartment or home. I'm not justifying the landlord's lack of response to you but given that many people have no concept of what they can and can't afford AND the scam factor of Craigslist, it sounds like this person is in heavy screening mode. I wouldn't recommend Fed Hill personally - noise & parking are huge issues. There are plenty of apartment buildings with parking and less hassles altogether.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

23 posts, read 46,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshhhooo View Post
Refusing to rent to someone based on their race, religion, gender, or national origin is a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1968.
Not necessarily. Small time landlords can be exempt.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/9571...ir-housing-act

Quote:
There are a few specific exceptions to the Fair Housing Act. The Act does not apply to:

• A private individual owner who does not own more than three single family houses, if the owner does not use the services of a broker, and if the owner does not use discriminatory advertising, and if the owner has not participated in three or more rental or sales transactions in a one year period;

Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM

23 posts, read 46,646 times
If it makes you feel better I used to deal with non-responsive landlords all the time before I bought my place and I'm as pasty white as they come.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
I have a question I am not originally from Baltimore. I am African American and have had a difficult time trying to find rentals in Fed Hill, Locust Point and Mount Vernon. Usually these listings or of those of private owners. Some of this listings I have found on craigslist. I will send an email tell the landlord a little about myself and hear NOTHING back!!! To test my theory of racism(because I did not want to jump to conclusions) I will have a white friend or someone with an English name contact the same landlord and get a response back immediately? Is there some secret code I do not know about. Why are private owners in particulary Fed Hill relunctant to rent to African Americans and I have spoken to other African Americans who say they have experienced the same problem and that I would fare better in Charles Village or Bolton Hill? Fed. Hill is convenient as far as work goes and to the Inner harbor which is where I would like to reside. Can these people be reported to HUD? How can I go about proving housing discrimination from private owners. I would appreciate any advice thanks
I am not discounting your experience, but I find it hard to believe that race is the issue. Have you seen the stats for Baltimore City (much different than Baltimore County, might I add)? I'd venture to guess there is something else going on here.

And if it makes you feel any better, I am a white woman with a decent income, a stable career, great references, a timely mortgage history, and a phenomenal credit score. Since I just sold my home, I contacted a few rentals in another city and have not gotten a single return message, even to my emails.

A better guess than tossing around the race card is the fact that rentals are hot, hot, hot right now. They are getting snapped up like you wouldn't believe. Perhaps the listings you are calling for are already gone. There are countless reasons for this, but I highly doubt race has anything to do with it.

Try visiting a place in person, having your credit info, references, employment verification, and deposit ready, and snap up that apartment on sight.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,497 times
Quote:
Hi sorry about bad grammer. I tend to forgo proper english when I am writing off emotions. What I am saying is that last year I inquired about 20 to 30 listings in primarily federal hill and mt vernon. I did not even recieve a courtesy follow up as to the status of the listings. I think we all agree looking for a place to live is time consuming and frustrating. Now tackle that with the issue of people not wanting to rent to you because of skin color? I know it was race based because I had white associates inquire about the same listings and would always recieve a follow up about the status of the listing. I did not go out lookong for racist landlords but discovered them in my home search. Trust me I am over living in Federal Hill and try not to havi a reason to go there. My purpose for writing was to see if anyone else had this problem as you can see by a recent post, someone else has. I am not alone I believe I speak for thousands sorry if you are offended.
Can I ask, how would the prospective landlord know that you are black without meeting you face to face?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,407 times
Original author of this post is being brutally honest. Like I stated in my last post, I too have experienced extreme racism trying to find rentals in Baltimore City. One specific example there was a condo in Mt. Vernon listed on caldwell bankers website for 1600.00 per month. I called the listing agent. She said,"hold on,ugh it has been leased". I felt she was being dishonest. Approximately one hour later I had one of my white friends call. My white friend was instantly told it was available and when was a good time to see it. Not only that my white friend was hounded by this agent. She repeatedly called my white friend offering her services. So realtors are looking to make money. I am not buying they are too busy, or just slow about responding. I have heard this far too many times. My advice to all minorites is to go to one of the large,reputable property management companies and lease an apartment. I will not name them or give the name of the company I lease from, but I will say my experience has been a positive one. Most of the realtors have prejudices about blacks. I know because of some of the comments that were made to me the few times I was actually able to schedule a showing. It is very sad I can totatlly relate to the author. My advice was stated earlier just do not hang your head over it. Move on and let these racist landlord, realtors, etc find the perfect white tenant!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: