Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbeaubeau View Post
Sorry to interrupt the flame war. I'm looking to invest in the patterson park area. More near the northeast side. By the restaurant Three. E. Baltimore St, E. Fairmount. E kenwood. Now, I've read posts with the generalized "crime is horrible there". "Patterson park is up and coming." Does anyone have comments regarding this particular hood. Personal experiences. I've read there are alot of people that want to go out, drinking have a good time, but everything is in Canton, fells etc. I think Patterson Park would be a great little niche market. thoughts? P.S. Sorry to the people who have faced violence and props to the people who defend their hood. Jesus, I said props.

Well you have two people who live in the area and responded and some hearsay. I would go with the opinions of those who actually live in the neighborhood. The bargains for homes in Patterson Park are fewer than once was for sure.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,301,565 times
A healthy city has to have families. Multi-generational families living in a city or a neighborhood are the truest and most basic unit of "culture," and add stability and continuity as time progresses.

Cities suffer, even when investment comes from young singles, if those seem people move on to the 'burbs once their families become multigenerational. Singles are very helpful as urban pioneers and certainly will always be the majority in certain neighborhoods around colleges and the night-life areas, but the decline of many of the stable family neighborhoods has hurt the city greatly.

As for the census numbers, it is just a number, but all communities are always shrinking or growing. At some point Baltimore needs to stop the population bleeding if things are to be turned around.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I likewise don't see a direct correlation between a city's population change and its quality-of-life. Scranton's current estimated population is just over 70,000, roughly half of its heyday peak of 145,000. What caused such a mass flight of residents out of the city? Was it violent crime? No. School quality? No. What was it then? It was quite simply the allure of suburbia---why raise your family in the city when you can pay just a little bit more for a large lot with a large home? I don't buy into the "hype" of suburbia because I've lived here for the past 21 years and don't understand why it is "better" than the city, but many others follow that notion of "more elbow room = better family environment," hence the rapidly declining population. Now that gas prices are nearing $4/gallon, I expect many of these suburbanites to be seeking real estate nearer to urban cores again as their oversized SUVs become too expensive to drive.

There's NO necessary correlation between population loss and a deterioration in a city's standard of living.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Well you have two people who live in the area and responded and some hearsay. I would go with the opinions of those who actually live in the neighborhood. The bargains for homes in Patterson Park are fewer than once was for sure.
Thought you lived in Butchers Hil area. Quite different than Northeast side of PP. You are correct, go with the folks that actually live there.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 AM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Thus you could have a net population loss but a household gain that's difficult to quantify with census statistics.
The census counts households and residents per household in addition to overall population.

Baltimore City has 2.42 people per HH.

The number of households in the city fell from 257,000 in 2000 to 251,000 in 2005.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Quote:
Sorry to interrupt the flame war. I'm looking to invest in the patterson park area. More near the northeast side. By the restaurant Three. E. Baltimore St, E. Fairmount. E kenwood. Now, I've read posts with the generalized "crime is horrible there". "Patterson park is up and coming." Does anyone have comments regarding this particular hood. Personal experiences. I've read there are alot of people that want to go out, drinking have a good time, but everything is in Canton, fells etc. I think Patterson Park would be a great little niche market. thoughts? P.S. Sorry to the people who have faced violence and props to the people who defend their hood. Jesus, I said props.
There is an article in the real estate section of today's (Sunday, 3-9) Baltimore Sun for more information. You can read it on-line.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,871 times
LJ, you have every right to say and feel that, I have lived in baltimore most of my life and all of it from dundalk, westside, pigtown,brooklyn,cherryhill and off of patapsaco and light, so I have been around the gangs,drugs,burgalry and many drive-bys. And yes to everyone else it is everywhere but unless you live there and actually have to walk around you'll notice its not like everywhere else. But the one thing that you said that we (baltimoriens) need help with is the police. They treat everyone like a criminal which makes it hard to help them when they're downing you and acting like your a part of it, I've had feds ( peeps that are suppose to know what they're doing) bust in my house 6 am sat. to arrest me and as they're putting the handcuffs on me the one fed notices hey im really white and the girl they're going after isn't, now something like that you think they'd do some research, we have the same name but shes two years older, different ethnicity and she killed somebody and yet they still had no idea, but my point when they left they didn't say sorry and they said to "try and go back to bed, things happen". Like I said I lived in cherry hill for about 2 months and got pulled up 8 times, just walking to my house and its suppose to be in " a better area near the top", knockers have jumped out and slammed me aganist a wall, hit me w/ clubs, and when they dont find nothing and just realize that I'm taking a walk they say nothing, what the hell is that, and the worst part is cops are getting as dirty and as bad as criminals, and sorry buddy but my dad was a cop and he went dirty and his there were quite a few of them, I just remember my grandma always said cops are there to protect and serve, now if something happened to my son they'd be the last people I'd go to, and thats sad but true.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 15,084 times
SO DO I!!!!

I moved here 4 yrs ago and I can't wait to leave!!! 8 more months and counting. I work high up in city gov office. I know for a fact they "cook the books". I've seen it with my own eyes.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
Thought you lived in Butchers Hil area. Quite different than Northeast side of PP. You are correct, go with the folks that actually live there.
Patterson Park isn't just northeast of the Park. It's also a number of the blocks just north of the Park. From livebaltimore.com--
"Patterson Park occupies approximately 1 square mile (Over 2,200 houses) on the north and east corner of Patterson Park. The boundaries of the neighborhood are Milton Avenue on the west, Clinton Street on the east, Fayette Street on the north and Pratt Street on the south."

Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,175 times
Quote:
I responded to the poster who was interested in the NORTHEAST side. But, thanks for the geography lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore