Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times

Advertisements

I would also like to think it's all some kind of teenage irony - but there seems to be too much heartfelt conviction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,242,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I guess what I'm really is the PATH to the championship is a lot easier in baseball
How so? I'd argue the path to a championship is HARDER in baseball than it is in football or basketball because teams are more prone to being upset. Look at how many times a lesser team upsets a better team in the playoffs of each of those sports. Sure, there are upsets in all of those sports, but I'd think baseball has more upsets. I don't have the stats in front me (nor do I have the time to look them up), but how many wild-card teams have won or appeared in the World Series since 1995 compared to how many wild-card teams have won or appeared in the Super Bowl since 1970, keeping in mind MLB has a lower percentage of wild-card playoff teams than the NFL does?

Another way of sort of getting at the same thing is comparing the home team winning percentages in each sport. In every sport the home team has an advantage, due to the crowd, player rest, and/or strategic factors; in fact, baseball teams probably get greater strategic benefits from playing at home than their football or basketball counterparts (because the home team bats last in baseball, allowing them a greater opportunity to catch up in a game). Yet if you look at league-wide home-team winning percentages in baseball, football, and basketball, baseball teams on a league-wide level almost always have the lowest winning percentages out of those 3 sports (the 2010 baseball season, when home-field winning percentages were high compared to historical standards, notwithstanding).

Finally, think about how many times a team repeats as either league champion (or World Series champion in baseball's case) or conference champion (league champion in baseball's case) in respective sports. In basketball, it pretty common for a team to make consecutive NBA finals appearances or even win consecutive NBA titles. In football, various teams/franchises throughout NFL/pro football history have had stretches where they either won consecutive championships, won multiple titles in a short stretch of time, or appeared in consecutive championship games. However in baseball, it is fairly uncommon, unless you are the New York Yankees, for most teams or franchises to repeat as champions or make repeat World Series appearances. Just look at the stretch from 2002 to 2008 - there were 14 possible slots available for teams to appear in the World Series, and 12 different teams appeared in the World Series during that time, with only Boston and St. Louis making multiple appearances (and neither team making consecutive appearances).

The situation we are seeing in MLB right now, with the Phillies potentially winning 3 straight NL pennants and the Yankees possibly winning back-to-back World Series or at least AL pennants, is just a phase MLB is going through at this point in time and is not common relatively-speaking in MLB history, especially after the early years of MLB (when there was less competitive balance and teams were more likely to repeat as champions, plus the lack of league playoffs meant the top regular season team always made the World Series). If MLB teams repeating as league champions or World Series champions was common (at least for teams besides the New York Yankees), it would have happened much more frequently in MLB history.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Dude, for real. This is all schtick right? I mean it has got to be.

If someone has to go I'd get rid of all the idiots who believe that 'someone has to go'. They provide absolutely nothing positive at all and display a complete lack of understanding of baseball.

I would love to work for you

Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
I would love to work for you
Well, thanks!

I think I'm a pretty reasonable person who doesn't overreact, puts my people in a position to succeed, and doesn't fire them unless there is a reason.

I don't think I'd like to work for you

Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Well, thanks!

I think I'm a pretty reasonable person who doesn't overreact, puts my people in a position to succeed, and doesn't fire them unless there is a reason.

I don't think I'd like to work for you

Ok so let's say I don't fire the manager, maybe the hitting coach?? I don't know where you live but where I'm located if a organization is failing then someone has to be relieved of their duties. Losing three striaight games after being up 2-0 is a serous situation.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:59 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
Quote:
In the case of Rangers/Rays, I can't explain. I do know if the Rangers lose the series the manager should be fired. You can't come home with a 2-0 lead and then lose 3 straight
Your saying they should fire the manager that has improved his team every year since he started managing them in 2007? The manager that brought his team to the playoffs for the first time since 1999? The manager that right now has the most playoff wins in said franchises history? The manager of a team that despite the hole they are in now could still get better next season and the seasons to come?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Ok so let's say I don't fire the manager, maybe the hitting coach?? I don't know where you live but where I'm located if a organization is failing then someone has to be relieved of their duties. Losing three striaight games after being up 2-0 is a serous situation.
Is the hitting coach the problem? If not why would firing him improve the team?

So, you believe that every team that doesn't win the world series each year should fire their managers and coaches because they failed? There are other ways to measure success.

You've obviously been warped by working in some poorly managed places.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Is the hitting coach the problem? If not why would firing him improve the team?

So, you believe that every team that doesn't win the world series each year should fire their managers and coaches because they failed? There are other ways to measure success.

You've obviously been warped by working in some poorly managed places.

But do you agree if they LOSE that the same people shouldn't return next season? Maybe a trade or a release of some players?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Your saying they should fire the manager that has improved his team every year since he started managing them in 2007? The manager that brought his team to the playoffs for the first time since 1999? The manager that right now has the most playoff wins in said franchises history? The manager of a team that despite the hole they are in now could still get better next season and the seasons to come?
So what should happen if they lose three straight?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
But do you agree if they LOSE that the same people shouldn't return next season?
No

Quote:
Maybe a trade or a release of some players?
This isn't extremely complicated

A team has a limited number of roster spots, a limited number of coaching positions, a limited number of administrative and scouting positions, and a limited budget.

The team needs to fill those positions with the best people possible while staying within the budget.

If there is a better person available outside the organization then the team should look into getting them.

But getting rid of a person, 'because they've got to go', and not having a suitable replacement wouldn't make the team better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball