Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

If they extend the playoffs any longer, we'll be watching the World Series on Thanksgiving. Although, then again, I hate when baseball season ends, so I wouldn't be against a longer season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
If they extend the playoffs any longer, we'll be watching the World Series on Thanksgiving. Although, then again, I hate when baseball season ends, so I wouldn't be against a longer season.
I heard a while back they were looking to add one more wild card in each league and scale back to 154 games, so we will see if this ever pans out.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Honestly, I wouldn't add ANY more playoff teams to the mix. I mean, MLB has a 162 game regular season. If a regular season with that many games can't identify the most worthy teams to participate in the playoffs, then there's no point in having a season that long.

If MLB does expand the playoffs, they should expand it from 4 teams to 8 teams per league. The reason I say that is baseball teams get accustomed to playing almost every day for 6 months. If all of the sudden you introduce byes into the equation, that rhythm is thrown off for the teams getting the byes and NOT thrown off for the (lesser) teams not getting the byes. Not I'm not suggesting having over half the teams in MLB making the playoffs is a good idea; actually, it is a terrible idea. But allowing say 5 or 6 teams in each league to make the playoffs would even worse IMO, albeit for somewhat different reasons than having 8 teams per league making the playoffs.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:10 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
If the playoff scheme is expanded, it should be done via shortening the regular season.

Players are tired enough as it is by the end of the current schedule.

No need to run baseball up to Thanksgiving. Remember, these are "the boys of SUMMER," not winter.

Some years we have blizzards here in Denver in late October.

With more foreign players than ever in baseball, and much competition from other sports, MLB seems to be losing it's audience. It will be interesting to see the 2010 full-year income and attendance stats to see what the recession has done to the sport.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Is there any plans on expanding the first round playoff series to 7 games? I mean since there is only two rounds before the championship why not expand the first round series? I mean shouldn't the Yankees or Phillies EARN a trip to the WS rather than playing in a best 3 out of 5?

David Stern made it tougher for winning teams in the NBA so why can't Bud selig?
Because the owners haven't yet decided to do it. The baseball commissioner is little more than the owners' puppet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball