Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
His value doesn't really decrease based on the park.

Bowman's Blog: Braves acquire Dan Uggla

Curious trade for the Marlins. Scratch that. Great trade for the Braves. Uggla can play 2nd next year (which was a problem for the Braves in the playoffs in anyone remembers) or 3rd if Chipper can't come back. He can also take over at 3rd in 2011.

Projected 2011 WAR
Uggla 4.0

Infante 2.0
Dunn .5

Uggla is expected to provide $18 million dollars in value next year (at $4.5 mil per WAR) while costing around $12 million. That's $6 million in surplus value

Infante would provide $9 million and Dunn $3 million. Combined they'll make about $3 million. That's surplus of $9 million.

Uggla is arbitration eligible for the last time (I think, didn't check) this year. Infante is a free agent after this year. Neither of then will be adding more WAR to the equation. Dunn isn't likely to rack up much more either.

It appears that the Marlins could have done better.
I don't think the Marlins did as bad as you think, Infante is solid. Uggla is also a free agent after this year, so you get a solid player in Infante, that is two years younger than Uggla.
You also get a darn good reliever with A LOT of potential who had a ERA under 2. I still would lean towards the Braves getting the better end of the deal, but imo a lot closer to even than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I don't think the Marlins did as bad as you think, Infante is solid. Uggla is also a free agent after this year, so you get a solid player in Infante, that is two years younger than Uggla.
Infante is also a free agent after this year so the fact that he's two years younger isn't really relevant.

Uggla is also much better than Infante. About 2 wins, which is significant.

Quote:
You also get a darn good reliever with A LOT of potential who had a ERA under 2. I still would lean towards the Braves getting the better end of the deal, but imo a lot closer to even than you think.
He had an ERA under 2, but also had 17 walks in 19 innings.
In his minor league career he's walked over 4 per 9 innings (while K'ing close to 10) so he has problems finding the plate.

He's not a 'darn good' reliever.

He's 25 years old. Not like he's a 21 year old kid who's bound to improve. If he hasn't been able to improve his control by now (it's actually getting worse) it is not really likely that he will.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Infante is also a free agent after this year so the fact that he's two years younger isn't really relevant.

Uggla is also much better than Infante. About 2 wins, which is significant.

I think your underestimating Infante, batting .321 is no joke...

Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Dan Uggla for Omar Infante and relief pitcher Mike Dunn:

Twice All-Star Uggla traded to Braves from Marlins | Reuters

Good deal for Braves, Marlin fans must be a little concerned here.
There had been rumors about Uggla coming to the Giants. He makes way too many errors though. He's just not much of a fielder. I mean a - 7.6 UZR? Plus a lot of his HRs in Florida would have been long fly ball outs in SF. And he wants a big contract.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
There had been rumors about Uggla coming to the Giants. He makes way too many errors though. He's just not much of a fielder. I mean a - 7.6 UZR? Plus a lot of his HRs in Florida would have been long fly ball outs in SF. And he wants a big contract.
Tough to evaluate what the Giants will do at the meeting though, the roster is built on great starting pitching and a closer, with the team on the field subject to an extremely high annual turnover rate.

Just look at how significant an impact the mid season pickups had on the club.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I think your underestimating Infante, batting .321 is no joke...
Infante is a career .274 hitter including this season. His BABIP this season .355. His career BABIP .313.

I'll give you that Infante is probably better than a .274 hitter. His strike out rate has been decreasing
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1609_2BSS_season_mini_4_20101003.png (broken link)
And not striking out certainly helps your batting average.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1609_2BSS_season_mini_9_20101003.png (broken link)
You can see the decrease in Infante's line drive rates that last 3 years
This year, at least, it came at an increase in ground ball rate and decrease in fly ball rate, which is good since Infante isn't a power hitter. Note the steady decrease in fly balls. Much like Jose Bautista it looks like Infante is maximizing his balls in play by hitting the ball in the air less.

Infante hit .321 on ground balls this year. ML average is around .240. Some players, like Ichiro, can have higher than average BABIPs on ground balls. Infante's career average on ground balls is .299. His GB BABIPs the last 2 years were .246 and .264. I don't think .321 is his true talent.

If you give Infante the following batted ball rates and BABIPs
LD 22% .750
GB 43% .275
FB 35% .140
It projects him for a BABIP of .332 (higher than I would have guessed)

Plugging in K% of 13% (following his recent improvement in that area) and BB% of 6% (his career average) Infante comes up with the following line for 2011

.305 Batting Average, .347 On Base Percentage, .401 Slugging Percentage

Infante is a nice player. Between 2 and 2.5 wins (taking this closer look at him I am more impressed than I originally was). He's still a significant downgrade from Uggla.

Uggla pessimistically projects to create around 22 runs per 600 plate appearances
Infante optimistically projects to create around 9 runs per 600 plate appearances

Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Blue Jays Acquire Rajai Davis: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Quote:
The Blue Jays added to their outfield mix today by acquiring speedster Rajai Davis from the Athletics for minor league relievers Danny Farquhar and Trystan Magnuson.
Reasonable move for the Jays. Travis Snider, Fred Lewis, and Adam Lind are all left-handed so having the righty Davis will help. He's not that expensive and the players that they gave up are so-so prospects.

Not really a bad move for the A's either. They acquired Davis for free and got 5 WAR and 2 relievers for a cost of $2 million.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM

Yankees reportedly offer Lee one of richest contracts in baseball history

Quote:
The Boston Globe reports the Yankees are offering Lee a five year deal in the $115 million-$120 range.

Do the math…that’s $23 million to $24 million per season.
If anyone needs me I'll be outside throwing balls through an old tire.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Phillies To Offer Werth Arbitration, Not Durbin: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Werth offered arbitration, not an unexpected move. All has been quiet on Werth otherwise....but I have to wonder if something is brewing, it was strange that Scott Boras didn't appear at the meetings.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Phillies To Offer Werth Arbitration, Not Durbin: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Werth offered arbitration, not an unexpected move. All has been quiet on Werth otherwise....but I have to wonder if something is brewing, it was strange that Scott Boras didn't appear at the meetings.
Of course they would offer arbitration. If Werth accepts they get Werth on a one-year deal worth about $12 million.

Werth of course, will decline because he'll easily make that much as a free agent.

By offering arbitration the Phillies will receive 2 extra draft picks in the next draft since Werth is classified as a Type A Free Agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball