Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't know it. It's surely too small of a sample to use anyway. Chambers' career steal rate is the best number to use. He looks to be a poor base stealer.

Jaramillo has a 31% career CS%. Over Jaramillo's career, the average catcher has thrown out 28% of base stealers. Jaramillo appears to be above average at throwing runners out.

Did YOU consider THAT in your analysis?
Nope. Neither did you, until I suggested it. Hanrahan was throwing balls in the dirt, Jaramillo had just missed one, Hanrahan threw 10 balls and 15 strikes. Third was stealable, by any runner who can steal 22 bases in a season, even in the minors.

Did you consider that in your analysis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:47 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nope. Neither did you, until I suggested it.
I'm glad that you did suggest it since it reinforces my position.

Quote:
Hanrahan was throwing balls in the dirt, Jaramillo had just missed one, Hanrahan threw 10 strikes and 15 balls.
Why would you risk stealing a base with a ****ty base stealer and an above average catcher when the pitcher is throwing more balls than strikes and throwing wild pitches/passed balls?

Quote:
Third was stealable, by any runner who can steal 22 bases in a season, even in the minors.
Objection your honor. Conjecture.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
I'm glad that you did suggest it since it reinforces my position.

Which was hasty and poorly thought out and fired from the hip and a knee-jerk, contrarian reaction, and needed reinforcement because of its many abject deficiencies of both logic and statistical analysis.

You also failed to check my figures, and discover that Hanrahan had thrown only one pitch in the dirt, and he was mostly high and outside with his pitches. You seem to be so centered on your own insistence that you are right and I am wrong, that you just declare yourself the winner without any fact checking.

It's amazing how you can declare a player with 22 stolen bases a ****ty runner, but a catcher "better than average" by a margin of 31% to 28%, and base your whole strategy on such a characterization.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Which was hasty and poorly thought out and fired from the hip and a knee-jerk, contrarian reaction, and needed reinforcement because of its many abject deficiencies of both logic and statistical analysis.
Huh?
This is said by the guy who doesn't appear to have even bothered to consider the fact that the runner may have been thrown out nor the defensive abilities of the catcher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibitA
Third was stealable, by any runner who can steal 22 bases in a season
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibitB
What is the CS rate of the catcher? Does that count in the analysis?
Once again, just because what LaRussa did didn't work out, that doesn't mean that doing something different would have certainly worked out.

Quote:
You also failed to check my figures, and discover that Hanrahan had thrown only one pitch in the dirt, and he was mostly high and outside with his pitches.
Uhh...so, that your figures were incorrect is a black mark against my argument?

I don't have any data to back up this observation, however, in my playing, and watching, experience, it is easier to throw out a runner on high pitches as that allows the catcher to get into throwing position sooner.

Quote:
You seem to be so centered on your own insistence that you are right and I am wrong, that you just declare yourself the winner without any fact checking.
LMAO

Quote:
It's amazing how you can declare a player with 22 stolen bases a ****ty runner,
Fait enough. '****ty baserunner' should have probably been 'below average base stealer'
Nothing that I have seen suggests that Chambers is anything better than a league average base stealer.

Quote:
but a catcher "better than average" by a margin of 31% to 28%
No, I actually checked multiple sources. His CS% is higher than the league average as discussed.
Also:
2010 Beyond the Box Score Catcher Defense Rankings - Beyond the Box Score

Nothing I have seen suggests that Jaramillo is anything worse than league average at throwing out base runners.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Once again, just because what LaRussa did didn't work out, that doesn't mean that doing something different would have certainly worked out.
Why not? You present statistical percentages as though they would "certainly work out". You're implying that Jaramillo would "certainly" have thrown out Chambers, and therefore LaRussa is the genius that he says he is. I know that what he did do "certainly" did not work out, largely because he wound up with a .170 hitter making the last out, which could have easily been averted just by leaving Jay in the game, and at least having Craig (.312) available to make the last out. And because he still can't recognize that his woeful bullpen sucks and blows games in which his starters are pitching low-pitch-count shutouts. And because he believes that stolen base attempts "certainly" result in losses, even when he has competent runners on the roster. He had Tyler Green, 10-for-10, sitting on his bench, but pinch-ran a ****ty base stealer instead. What could TLR have been thinkiing? When LaRussa always goes into extra innings with defensive replacements in the lineup, he comes as close as you can get to "certainly" losing, which he does 2/3 of the time.

When LaRussa's star-studded lineup can barely play .500 ball in a weak division, the "certainty" of his strategizing is suspect.

Quote:
No, I actually checked multiple sources. His CS% is higher than the league average as discussed.
Not until I brought them to your attention. Then you checked multiple sources. You started out using only two sources: Chambers' irrelevant probability of stealing second (where he already was), and scoring probability without taking into account the other base runner, who was on first.

The fact is, by the time Chanbers even got in the game, LaRussa had already done at least two other things that reduced his chances of winning to nearly zero, and a base-stealing pinch-runner in that situation was the only glimmer of hope he still had, and then he put in what you call a ****ty runner, instead of Green. Stop trying to rescue LaRussa, he has become a megalomaniacal narcissist, no matter that Jaramillo is three percentage points above average, which is the only builb still flickering faintly in your LaRussa defense.

Geez, LaRussa has a .308 hitter (Jay) in he number 2 spot in his lineup, who is his most competent defensive outfielder, and every manager knows that all they have to do to get him out of the game in the 7th inning is bring in a lefty against him, and LaRussa's mouth starts to water as if you rang a bell. LaRussa has pinch hit for Jay five times in the last ten games, and lost 3 of the 5.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-13-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Why not? You present statistical percentages as though they would "certainly work out". You're implying that Jaramillo would "certainly" have thrown out Chambers, and therefore LaRussa is the genius that he says he is.
I most certainly did not present statistical percentages of though they would certainly work out.

Regard:
Quote:
In this situation the Cardinals had a 22% chance of winning

If Chambers gets thrown out stealing, the Cardinals have a 3% chance of winning. That's a difference of -19%
If Chambers steals 3rd, the Cardinals have a 32% chance of winning. That's a difference of 10%

Chambers had 22 steals in 35 attempts. He steals successfully 63% of the time.

63% times 10% = .063%
37% times 19% = .071%

Attempting to steal the base would have decreased the Cardinals' expected winning percentage by 1%
I clearly presented the likelihood of both possibilities.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
If Chambers gets thrown out stealing, the Cardinals have a 3% chance of winning.
Did that take into account the fact that Punto would have moved to second on the out-stealing? Did you recalculate the chances if LaRussa had put in Tyler Green (100% on ten steals), who was available on his bench?

Forget about Chambers, the 7-inning lead had already been blown by LaRussa, and his offense out of the game.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Did that take into account the fact that Punto would have moved to second on the out-stealing? Did you recalculate the chances if LaRussa had put in Tyler Green (100% on ten steals), who was available on his bench?

Forget about Chambers, the 7-inning lead had already been blown by LaRussa, and his offense out of the game.
How many times are you going to move the goalposts?

Jtur: You did this
filihok: no I didn't
Jtru: well you didn't do this then

Come on man

Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
How many times are you going to move the goalposts?

Jtur: You did this
filihok: no I didn't
Jtru: well you didn't do this then

Come on man
I started out addressing two prior things LaRussa did, and only got down to Chambers as the frosting on the cake. You completely ignored the first two things, and pushed Chambers up to your ONLY argument, and then you tell me I'M moving the goalposts?

You even admitted in an earlier post that you did NOT consider Jaramillo's CS rate until I had suggested it. Come on man, you DID do this. And you had argued with me in complete ignorance of that stat, however it might have influenced the strategy. As usual, you only pre-select a few stats that you can use to buttress your position, which is taken for no other reason than to be argumentative.

OK. At the end, Larussa had five position players on his bench. Theriot (.271), Cruz (.258), Laird (.242), Greene (.196) and Patterson (.170). Who is his go-to guy, behind by a run, 9th inning, tying run in scoring position, two out? Right.

Go ahead. Run the probabilities and get back to me.

Item: Three times in the past few weeks, I have commented on LaRussa taking out a starting pitcher, 100 pitches of less, either pitching a shut out, or Whip below 1.0 in the past 5 innings, knowing that his bullpen was very suspect and shaky.

Item: He has pulled Jay and Berkman and Freese out of every close game, relying on hitters like Patterson to win it for him after his bullpen blows the save.

Item: He needed a hit with 2 out in the ninth to tie the game, and of five available pinch hitters, he chose the lowest BA, after sending out a ****ty pinch runner, leaving a 10-for-10 base stealer sitting on the bench.

Go ahead, run the probabilities. Jaramillo's +3 over average will not save you, you need to think of something else. Run your numbers, and see if he would have had a BETTER chance of winning if he had used Patterson for pinch running and Chambers for pinch hitting, instead of the reverse.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-13-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I started out addressing two prior things LaRussa did, and only got down to Chambers as the frosting on the cake. You completely ignored the first two things, and pushed Chambers up to your ONLY argument, and then you tell me I'M moving the goalposts?
Yes, you are the one moving the goalposts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalpost Position A View Post
Then in the 9th, LaRussa has the tyinig run on second, one out, in the person of a guy who just stole 22 bases in Triple-A. Oh, no, it's against LaRussa's absolute inflexible no-steal rules to have him move into sac-fly position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalpost Position L View Post
Did you recalculate the chances if LaRussa had put in Tyler Green (100% on ten steals), who was available on his bench?
Quote:
You even admitted in an earlier post that you did NOT consider Jaramillo's CS rate until I had suggested it, and you had argued with me in complete ignorance of that stat, however it might have influenced the strategy.
I actually looked at it immediately, but since it was close to the league average, and since catcher CS% is highly dependent upon the pitcher throwing to him, I left it out.

What are you trying to say?
If LaRussa was influenced by the knowledge that Jaramillo is more likely an above average defender than a below average defender, and used that knowledge to formulate his strategy, that is a GOOD thing.

Quote:
As usual, you only pre-select a few stats that you can use to buttress your position, which is taken for no other reason than to be argumentative.
That is entirely untrue. I was interested in whether or not stealing the base would have been the correct move. I merely presented the results of my findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball