Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2023, 07:40 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Seattle lost.

First time all season....sole possession of first place for the Astros in the AL West .
I don't really consider it first place. Statistically yes, but the loss column is the same. We've played two more games and eventually, Seattle will play those games and if they win both we are tied and they hold the tiebreaker. We have no control if they win those games or not. The only way we win the division over Seattle is if we end up with one less loss. That's why I go by the Loss column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 02:10 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Altuve....

His first 3 homer MLB game.

The first Astros player to hit 5 HRs in two consecutive games.

The first Astros player to hit for the cycle in a game and have a 3 HR game in the same season.

The fourth player since 1961 to hit 5 HRs in 6 plate appearances...after Manny Ramirez in 1998, Shawn Green in 2002, and Josh Hamilton in 2012.

Absolutely great stuff!

What a game that was last night.

Now, we have tonight's game with Verlander and Scherzer, and this promises to be legendary.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:35 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
I noticed probably a couple of weeks ago that Verlander and Scherzer would be facing off tonight and decided I wanted to go to the game. There were plenty of tickets on Vivid Seats (secondary market company that links to ESPN.com) which, from experience, made me think the price might come down (I planned to buy 3rd deck seats and walk around and take a lot of pictures). IIRC, the price at that time was $14 + that tax and fee.

I turned out to be right. By last night after the game, the price was down to $2.

I decided to buy a ticket (the processing fee and the tax was over double the cost of the ticket , for a total of just over $6), and then try to sleep before I would need to leave, and then assess how I felt at the time it would be prudent to leave. Even if I didn't go, it would be a fun novelty to only pay $2 for a ticket and have the fees and tax be over double the cost of the ticket.

By 1pm (the latest I felt I should leave...about a 4 hour drive plus two hours for stops, traffic not showing up yet online, etc.), I felt tired enough that it wouldn't be prudent to try to drive to the game, so decided not to go to the game. I've still got a screenshot on my iPad of my electronic ticket, and another with the $6 and change receipt .

I woke up about 25 minutes before the game started and caught it from the beginning (radio online, and ESPN.com)

Interesting first two innings......both Scherzer and Verlander fairly efficient on a per batter average....and 27 pitches for Scherzer and 26 for Verlander. Two Ks for each, and all runs = on HRs given up.

Then Scherzer fell apart in the 3rd....33 pitches and giving up a grand slam to Abreu, and Bochy having him not come out/pulling him for the 4th.

Great for the Astros though....now leading 8-1 after four and a half, and Bochy brought in a third pitcher at the end of the top of the fifth.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't really consider it first place. Statistically yes, but the loss column is the same. We've played two more games and eventually, Seattle will play those games and if they win both we are tied and they hold the tiebreaker. We have no control if they win those games or not. The only way we win the division over Seattle is if we end up with one less loss. That's why I go by the Loss column.
Barring a collapse, that 'being up/ahead with fewer' re losses should happen tonight.

Holding that advantage is another thing altogether .

Old 09-06-2023, 07:52 PM

Verlander had settled in pretty well after 4.....56 piches, one run, 4 Ks.

Then had a 21 pitch 5th, but didn't give up an earned run, with the one run scoring being on base because of Altuve's fielding error.

I wonder what the Team record is for HRs in any 3 game stretch and also for a 3 game series ?.........14 so far in this series in roughly 2 2/3 games.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Barring a collapse, that 'being up/ahead with fewer' re losses should happen tonight.

Holding that advantage is another thing altogether .
What are you talking about? Seattle already won. If we hold on, things are just as they were last night.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:05 PM

We'll see what Dusty does for the 7th, but even if he pulls Verlander....a pretty good outing for Verlander.....6 innings, 6 Ks, 87 pitches, 1 earned run (the HR on the first pitch of the game). Good run support from others...8-2 Astros lead.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What are you talking about? Seattle already won. If we hold on, things are just as they were last night.

You're right.

I'm still too tired and thinking just about this game.

Good that I decided not to drive to the game.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
We'll see what Dusty does for the 7th, but even if he pulls Verlander....a pretty good outing for Verlander.....6 innings, 6 Ks, 87 pitches, 1 earned run (the HR on the first pitch of the game). Good run support from others...8-2 Astros lead.
Hats off to Verlander for his overall outing. Three fly outs on 15 pitches in the 7th......102 pitches total...still only 1 earned run.

Graveman gave up a run in the 8th.

And now two more HR so far in the top of the 9th.

16 HR so far in the series for the Astros....and the score is 12-3 Astros in this game

ETA: Astros win 12-3......fifth team to 80 wins....Astros are fifth in runs scored, but the four teams with better records aren't the four with more runs scored.....The Astros are over 700 and the Orioles are still under 700 runs scored. The Rangers are the fourth team with more runs scored than the Astros.

Last edited by RMESMH; 09-06-2023 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Verlander had settled in pretty well after 4.....56 piches, one run, 4 Ks.

Then had a 21 pitch 5th, but didn't give up an earned run, with the one run scoring being on base because of Altuve's fielding error.

I wonder what the Team record is for HRs in any 3 game stretch and also for a 3 game series ?.........14 so far in this series in roughly 2 2/3 games.

I just heard it announced that the 16 in these three games is the new Astros record for a three game span.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball