Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:32 PM

141 posts, read 123,394 times

Advertisements

This has the feel of a 4 game sweep. The Dodgers got stronger and will obviously be a serious threat in post season. This adds more depth to the already most dangerous team in baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Wow. Still digesting all of this. Never expected the Dodgers to get Darvish, since the Rangers had asked for our top two prospects. In return Texas received our #17 and #27 prospects, plus Calhoun, who probably would never have had any success in the NL, as he has no speed, is expected to add even more weight, and is "barely passable" on defense. He would be a good fit as a DH in the AL.

I agree with the naysayers, in that Darvish will most likely not be signed by the Dodgers in 2018, for a variety of reasons. However, his value in the playoffs can not be underestimated, as he will take a load off of CK.

The other two - Watson and Cingrani - could work their way into the best bullpen in baseball. At least they didn't cost very much, and I wish SVS well with the Reds.
Rangers IMO were crazy if they thought they'd get one of our top prospects for a rental like Darvish. Rangers had nothing to lose and still got Calhoun which could turn out to be a decent player.

I hear a lot of people on FB saying "I bet we re-sign Darvish in the off season". I'm thinking there is no way that happens. 1, if he pitches good enough to even consider being a guy we'd want to re-sign his asking price is probably going to be a lot more than the FO would pay. 2, I don't really think the Dodgers need him if guys like Beuhler turn out to do well and Hill can keep doing his thing. People forget that Urias is still supposed to bounce back too. Probably won't pitch a lot in 2018 but should be opening day rotation in 2019. Also, lets not forget that Kershaw I believe has an op out clause after the 2018 season. If he keeps pitching the way he is he's gong to op out and will only be 31 the following season. He likely gets at least 5 years & I'm not sure that Friedman goes for it. Especially if some of the younger pitchers are doing well. My point of that is if you do plan to try and keep Kershaw after 2018 you're going to have to spend some money & having a guy like Darvish in a big contract probably is not going to help.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Rangers IMO were crazy if they thought they'd get one of our top prospects for a rental like Darvish. Rangers had nothing to lose and still got Calhoun which could turn out to be a decent player.

I hear a lot of people on FB saying "I bet we re-sign Darvish in the off season". I'm thinking there is no way that happens. 1, if he pitches good enough to even consider being a guy we'd want to re-sign his asking price is probably going to be a lot more than the FO would pay. 2, I don't really think the Dodgers need him if guys like Beuhler turn out to do well and Hill can keep doing his thing. People forget that Urias is still supposed to bounce back too. Probably won't pitch a lot in 2018 but should be opening day rotation in 2019. Also, lets not forget that Kershaw I believe has an op out clause after the 2018 season. If he keeps pitching the way he is he's gong to op out and will only be 31 the following season. He likely gets at least 5 years & I'm not sure that Friedman goes for it. Especially if some of the younger pitchers are doing well. My point of that is if you do plan to try and keep Kershaw after 2018 you're going to have to spend some money & having a guy like Darvish in a big contract probably is not going to help.
Other teams try to hold up this FO, but it doesn't work because they have a very conservative approach. I'm sure that the Dodgers were just as pleased to let Calhoun go as the Rangers were to get him. He was highly rated (#4) as a Dodger prospect because of his bat, but this team prides itself on its defense, so there was no place for him here.

I agree about Darvish. The LAD have an aversion to long contracts, especially with 31-year-old pitchers asking for six years and at least 120 mil. Plus, their goal is to reduce the payroll enough by 2019 to avoid paying the draft penalty, so I think that they say sayonara to Yu.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Yeah Darish is a rental, I cant see the Dodgers re-signing him. If he helps this run great, but his upside is long past at this point - for the money he'll demand. But hey, hopefully he helps win a series! '88 was a very long time ago.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Nice debut for Yu Darvish as the Dodgers defeat Jacob deGrom and the Mets 6-0 at Citi Field. He pitched 7 shutout innings with 10 strikeouts one walk while limiting New York to only 3 hits.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
Nice debut for Yu Darvish as the Dodgers defeat Jacob deGrom and the Mets 6-0 at Citi Field. He pitched 7 shutout innings with 10 strikeouts one walk while limiting New York to only 3 hits.
It appears there is no stopping them this time around. Yu did a great job, but the offense was to be congratulated as well. They are about to start todays game and it is actually on TV.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:29 PM

171 posts, read 94,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It appears there is no stopping them this time around. Yu did a great job, but the offense was to be congratulated as well. They are about to start todays game and it is actually on TV.
The offense certainly has been outstanding as today's game illustrates. Great comeback after trailing 3-0 with home runs from Taylor, Bellinger, Puig, Turner and Seager to win it 7-4. Hell I'm willing to bet that New York hasnt seen anything like that since Murderer's Row in 1927. Been a Dodgers fan many years! Go Dodgers!

Tomorrows game is on ESPN.

Last edited by JAMES67; 08-05-2017 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 11:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Some other notes from the Dodgers 50 game run:

They haven't lost a series since early June when the Nationals beat them 2 out of 3 in LA.
They are 26-3 since July 4.....all 3 losses are to Atlanta meaning they haven't lost to another team in the majors in more than a month!
And they started the year 10-12.......They are 68-20 since than.

Remarkable run they are on. Hopefully they don't peak in the regular season.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Some other notes from the Dodgers 50 game run:

They haven't lost a series since early June when the Nationals beat them 2 out of 3 in LA.
They are 26-3 since July 4.....all 3 losses are to Atlanta meaning they haven't lost to another team in the majors in more than a month!
And they started the year 10-12.......They are 68-20 since than.

Remarkable run they are on. Hopefully they don't peak in the regular season.
As amazing as this run has been you cant lose sight that this season will ultimately be judged by what happens in the post season. With that said the regular season has been epic and a treat to watch.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:34 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
Dodgers can go 2-49 and still end the season at 81-81 (.500)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball