Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM

141 posts, read 123,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I agree 100% about him being a huge factor in those division titles. Will be interesting to see if he's with the Dodgers the entire 2018 season.
It's going to be interesting to see how healthy he is, how much he plays and what type of numbers he puts up after his assignment in Rancho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 PM

There's about a month and a half remaining in regular season play where the Dodgers will soon begin to clinch everything but the kitchen sink. Looking at the schedule there are six remaining games with the Giants. Without question that's my favorite rivalry. Given where both teams sit in the standings and the tension it has created, I'm hoping that things dont get too heated

https://youtu.be/_OhY_7QX4Nc

Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
There's about a month and a half remaining in regular season play where the Dodgers will soon begin to clinch everything but the kitchen sink. Looking at the schedule there are six remaining games with the Giants. Without question that's my favorite rivalry. Given where both teams sit in the standings and the tension it has created, I'm hoping that things dont get too heated

https://youtu.be/_OhY_7QX4Nc
I wouldn't worry, the Giants aren't a very high spirited team this season. They are playing out the string and meeting their professional obligations to try, but their hearts aren't in it. Poor Bochy finds himself day after day at the post game media conference saying more or less the same thing. Whatever was the cause of that day's particular loss, Bochy will say "We gotta start getting those guys home when we get em on base" or "We gotta start pitching better in those middle innings" or "We gotta start catching the ball better in the outfield" or "We gotta start keeping the offense going in the late innings." Bochy always keeps his emotions in check with the media, but he has to be boring himself stupid with these serial mantras of failure.

Kruk and Kuiper are more and more hard pressed to identify the positives as the losing continues. "Cain really rallied and pitched well after that four run first inning.." or "Crawford is 0 for 4 tonight but he hit the ball really hard in two of those at bats"...that sort of thing.

The Dodgers are already looking ahead to the post season, the Giants are looking ahead to 2018. There just isn't any reason for things to get out of hand save one of those accident + hothead = brawl situations.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I wouldn't worry, the Giants aren't a very high spirited team this season. They are playing out the string and meeting their professional obligations to try, but their hearts aren't in it. Poor Bochy finds himself day after day at the post game media conference saying more or less the same thing. Whatever was the cause of that day's particular loss, Bochy will say "We gotta start getting those guys home when we get em on base" or "We gotta start pitching better in those middle innings" or "We gotta start catching the ball better in the outfield" or "We gotta start keeping the offense going in the late innings." Bochy always keeps his emotions in check with the media, but he has to be boring himself stupid with these serial mantras of failure.

Kruk and Kuiper are more and more hard pressed to identify the positives as the losing continues. "Cain really rallied and pitched well after that four run first inning.." or "Crawford is 0 for 4 tonight but he hit the ball really hard in two of those at bats"...that sort of thing.

The Dodgers are already looking ahead to the post season, the Giants are looking ahead to 2018. There just isn't any reason for things to get out of hand save one of those accident + hothead = brawl situations.

I think you're right about that. With that said a little added drama between these two teams can certainly make things a little interesting to close out the season and add little fuel for 2018 LOL.

I'm very surprised the Giants have fallen this far. Before the season I had them as a major threat to the Dodgers/Division. That was a nice run with 3 championships, I wonder if that's coming to a close. I give alot of credit to Brian Sabean for that success. As long as he's still around they have a shot of more glory.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post

I'm very surprised the Giants have fallen this far. Before the season I had them as a major threat to the Dodgers/Division. That was a nice run with 3 championships, I wonder if that's coming to a close. I give alot of credit to Brian Sabean for that success. As long as he's still around they have a shot of more glory.
After having the best record in MLB at the 2016 AS break, something helped greatly by a 20-10 record in one run games, San Francisco played .417 ball the rest of the way. They had an aging outfield, a vacancy at thirdbase, and weak bullpen. Despite these problems, the only major off season move was a dumb one, signing Melachon to a 75 million dollar contract to close games.

The one positive from 2016 was a strong starting rotation, but this year Bumgarner decided to go motor bike riding, Cuerto has been a shade of his 2016 self, Samardzija has an excellent k to walk ratio, but has had bum luck and they don't score runs when he is pitching. Cain has spent the season proving that he is washed up.

So this year the Giants have been like the second half Giants from 2016, but without the quality starting pitching.

BTW...Sabean is no longer the GM, he has been bumped up to club president or Czar or some title like that. Bobby Evans, who has never worked for another club, is the current GM.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:29 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
As much as I love to see the Giants look like this. They still have 3 World Series in a 5 year span that ended just 3 seasons ago. So unless we can win the world series this year Giants still have all the bragging rights IMO.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
As much as I love to see the Giants look like this. They still have 3 World Series in a 5 year span that ended just 3 seasons ago. So unless we can win the world series this year Giants still have all the bragging rights IMO.
Ahh...nothing like bragging about how good you used to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njyZRxFIFM4

Old 08-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Ahh...nothing like bragging about how good you used to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njyZRxFIFM4

Am I not right though? It's not like the Giants won their last WS 20 years ago. They won in 2010, 2012, and 2014. That's a short time period ago. I'm a huge Dodgers fan but it kills me when so many Dodgers fans run their mouths to Giants fan this season. Shut up until we have the title.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Am I not right though? It's not like the Giants won their last WS 20 years ago. They won in 2010, 2012, and 2014. That's a short time period ago. I'm a huge Dodgers fan but it kills me when so many Dodgers fans run their mouths to Giants fan this season. Shut up until we have the title.
Running your mouth is typically stupid.
Running your mouth about your favorite team winning a championship is more stupid
Running your mouth about your favorite team winning a championship 3 years ago is more stupid still

Old 08-18-2017, 11:56 PM

Dodgers pick up Curtis Granderson for basically nothing. I like this pick up.

1. Joc Pederson is batting 2-42. At this rate he won't be on the playoff roster.
2. If Agon stays up and continues to hit that means Cody plays LF, Taylor CF, Puig RF & and maybe Granderson platooning with Taylor or Puig depending on a match up.
3. Granderson has a high OPS vs Arrieta, Roark & Matt Scherzer. Small sample size but still a good sign since we probably play at least 2 of those pitchers.
4. Just a emergency back up. Never know if a guy gets hurt & you have a veteran leader to jump in there.
5. Granderson actually is doing really well if you take away April #'s. He's better option than Pederson any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball