Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 04:15 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nashville would be a great home for any MLB team needing a new one.
Okay. Let's send the DC team down there and allow B'more to serve both markets again.
Tell me ... why was the new stadium built next to I-95?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 12:57 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
How eager would you be to pay for bad baseball played on carpet & concrete in a dump stadium?
Ideally, I'd like the Rays to get a newer retractable roof stadium, and get out of the Trop. I've also said that, on previous posts even before my most recent one here. But really, to me there's no way the Rays will draw well in Montreal. It didn't work for the Expos over so many years(before they moved south to DC), and playing in Montreal won't do better for drawing fans there all these years later, post-Expos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The Rays owner is friends with the Bronfman family who used to own the Expos. He was sued by the minority owners for secretly trying to shares to the Bronfmans. Any demographic, spending, or fan interest study would put Montreal way behind Nashville, Charlotte, Las Vegas etc. The other owners would end up paying due to the higher revenue share Montreal would require compared to the other cities, and would be unlikely to approve.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...art-sternberg/
Ah, I guess now that explains all the rumors I'd been hearing about the Rays wanting to play games in Montreal. To me I don't see the point of a new MLB team there, especially after the Expos couldn't draw well there many years ago. I agree with others that other cities like Charlotte and Nashville would be better candidates for a new or relocated MLB team, over Montreal. Heck, even Las Vegas would probably be better too, although that market may likely go to the Athletics/A's if they give up trying to get a new stadium in Oakland. I suppose the A's(on a side note) could consider moving to Sacramento or Portland(OR), if they can't quite get the stadium they'd like in Vegas?

Old 10-26-2021, 01:24 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Ideally, I'd like the Rays to get a newer retractable roof stadium, and get out of the Trop. I've also said that, on previous posts even before my most recent one here. But really, to me there's no way the Rays will draw well in Montreal. It didn't work for the Expos over so many years(before they moved south to DC), and playing in Montreal won't do better for drawing fans there all these years later, post-Expos.

Ah, I guess now that explains all the rumors I'd been hearing about the Rays wanting to play games in Montreal. To me I don't see the point of a new MLB team there, especially after the Expos couldn't draw well there many years ago. I agree with others that other cities like Charlotte and Nashville would be better candidates for a new or relocated MLB team, over Montreal.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment about Montreal and the possible return of MLB to that market, remember, Olympic Stadium is basically the Trop, 24 years before the Trop even opened, and you see how well people, like yourself, love the Trop!

Could MLB succeed with a new downtown Montreal ballpark, maybe, I guess the same could be said for a new downtown Tampa ballpark for the Rays as well.

I think with the market size in Montreal and if they are able to do a new stadium right, MLB could do well, but that's a lot of "if's" and "could's". I'm definitely not a fan of the split city concept, either build a new retractable roof stadium in Tampa or Montreal, not 2 new open aired stadiums in each market, with a team playing 3 months in each.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:31 AM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment about Montreal and the possible return of MLB to that market, remember, Olympic Stadium is basically the Trop, 24 years before the Trop even opened, and you see how well people, like yourself, love the Trop!

Could MLB succeed with a new downtown Montreal ballpark, maybe, I guess the same could be said for a new downtown Tampa ballpark for the Rays as well.

I think with the market size in Montreal and if they are able to do a new stadium right, MLB could do well, but that's a lot of "if's" and "could's". I'm definitely not a fan of the split city concept, either build a new retractable roof stadium in Tampa or Montreal, not 2 new open aired stadiums in each market, with a team playing 3 months in each.
I do wonder if the Rays have looked into moving to Orlando, as a 'Plan B' if finding a new stadium site in Tampa doesn't work out? I really liked the Rays' idea of building a new stadium, in Tampa's Ybor City neighborhood. Too bad I have this weird gut feeling, the owner may no longer be considering that idea. I hope I'm proven wrong, and their owner hasn't 100% ruled out a Ybor City stadium.

Also, does anyone seriously think a new MLB stadium really will occur in Montreal? I do remember reading a lot of local residents nicknamed Olympic Stadium as 'the big owe', for how costly it was to Montreal taxpayers to build. Short of a 100% privately financed stadium, or a new tax not directly imposed on locals (i.e. how the Las Vegas Raiders imposed a long term new hotel tax, to help finance the cost of the new Raiders stadium), I don't see how Montreal will be able to get a new stadium to land the Rays.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:15 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
In 1988, I took in an Expos vs Mets game in Montreal.

A somewhat surreal experience. Baseball in French and English. The crowd was ... refined. Most of the adult men wore sports jackets and slacks. No yelling or heckling. Indeed the most rowdy behavior I saw were kids making huge paper airplanes out of the free giveaway poster.

None of that was a buzz kill. What I don't like is baseball in a dome. On the plus side, they sold bottles of Molson packed in ice. With the exchange rate, they were $1.35 each. I'd watch nearly anything with that.

The Rays splitting time between Tampa and Montreal? You gotta be kidding.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:36 PM

843 posts, read 565,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
In 1988, I took in an Expos vs Mets game in Montreal.

A somewhat surreal experience. Baseball in French and English. The crowd was ... refined. Most of the adult men wore sports jackets and slacks. No yelling or heckling. Indeed the most rowdy behavior I saw were kids making huge paper airplanes out of the free giveaway poster.

None of that was a buzz kill. What I don't like is baseball in a dome. On the plus side, they sold bottles of Molson packed in ice. With the exchange rate, they were $1.35 each. I'd watch nearly anything with that.

I agree that domes are not ideal, but in extreme climates it seems like a better alternative. The Dbacks fans are probably grateful to have a retractable roof when it's 100-110 for a day game. Same for Texas and Florida teams.

As far as the Tampa/Montreal thing - it seems if they are that desperate and don't want to move the team to Nashville or something, then why not play some games in Montreal? Toronto was playing in Buffalo fergodsakes due to Covid. If Tampa fans don't attend then they can't complain. I assumed there is a weather factor to consider, maybe a Snowbird issue in Tampa. You could do it if they both had outdoor fields and play in Montreal in the summer and Tampa in Spring/late Summer. It would be a little crazy, but they could make it work if they are very desperate and don't want to sell/move the team. Maybe as a trial until they come up with a better plan. It's easy to fantasize about moving teams but it ain't easy. Baseball can't be too choosy.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 11-25-2021 at 11:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2021, 02:14 AM

834 posts, read 529,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I do wonder if the Rays have looked into moving to Orlando, as a 'Plan B' if finding a new stadium site in Tampa doesn't work out? I really liked the Rays' idea of building a new stadium, in Tampa's Ybor City neighborhood. Too bad I have this weird gut feeling, the owner may no longer be considering that idea. I hope I'm proven wrong, and their owner hasn't 100% ruled out a Ybor City stadium.
I personally think moving the team to Orlando would work as existing fans would help pad the numbers. All of the extra tourists that Orlando has and Tampa bay doesn't would help as well. An Orlando team would be competing for advertising dollars against just the Magic and not the Bucs and Lightning, which is a big factor.

All of Tampa Bay has been ruled out for future stadium locations. I doubt MLB would approve it even if ownership wanted to build a new stadium in Tampa anyway. A new ownership group will have to overpay for the club to keep it in state but it definitely won't be in or near Tampa.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
League has killed it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...l-rejected-mlb

Old 02-01-2022, 09:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I think at this point, if the Rays don't get a new ballpark built in the Tampa Bay area, move them to Nashville or Montreal or Charlotte, I guess.

Basically, whichever city/metro builds them a new ballpark first should get the Rays!

Old 02-02-2022, 02:26 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
A return of the Expos would be cool but I don't anticipate MLB (or any league) having an interest in furthering business in Canada anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball