Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times

Advertisements

And now, what will become of the Yankees? All the tradition and history is out the window--The House that Ruth Built is to be replaced by The House that Corporate Greed Built. And I'm not even a Yankee fan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,919,305 times
Speaking of "the House That Corporate Greed Built," I've heard some talk that there is going to be a Hard Rock Cafe in the new park. To use some old traditional baseball talk, say it ain't so! Please tell me this new park is not going to be one of those fantasyland stadiums. Now, okay, I'm a Red Sox fan, so obviously no fan of the Yankees. I don't especially like the appearance of Yankee Stadium either. I've heard the Stadium described as a "grand cathedral." Well, everything is relative. When the Stadium opened, it probably looked very grand by contrast with the typical major league parks of the era, which were mostly stacks of girders, but compared to what's around now, to me the place looks like just your basic generic big stadium, one that hasn't been kept up too well at that.

But that is just its appearance. There's a lot more to Yankee Stadium than its appearance. That place is oozing with history. And, though I don't like the team that inhabits the Stadium, I've got to respect the fact that they are one of the old teams, loaded with tradition. It would be absolute blasphemy, for all of baseball, for the Yankees to move into one of those giant plastic playgrounds. Someone out there must know what the new park will look like. If you've got bad news for me, go ahead and lay it on me. I'll find out no later than the start of next season anyway. But, I'm really hoping someone in the know will be able to tell me the plan is to give the new place an appearance that maintains some real sense of tradition. PLEASE!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Unless I'm very much mistaken, two words that you won't be able to apply to the new ballpark are "giant" and "plastic." It'll probably look good--and will definitely be much smaller than Yankee Stadium. (The same things can be said for the Mets' new edifice). This puzzles me, as the Dodgers left Brooklyn because Ebbets Field was the smallest stadium in the NL, and they couldn't get a larger place built in New York. Now, completely voluntarily, both of New York's major league teams are putting up stadia of a capacity that lost us the Dodgers. As we say around here, go figure.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:41 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,194 times
^^^ Lol. So true Fred. Back then, the bigger the stadium, the more people show up, the more money you make. Now its: the smaller the park, the more you jack up ticket prices, the more money you make. Shea will go from being around 58,000 to around 41,000. Of course the owners and the city will say it is better for the fans because of better seating and you're lower to the ground, but who is going to afford going to these games? The New Yankee Stadium and Citi Field are going to be too expensive for the average fan to watch a game.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM

...And once again, the fan gets the short end of the stick. You'd think there would be a point when the powers that be have to acknowledge us. I mean, there's no game without the fans, and the corporations that buy tickets aren't putting real fans in those seats, by and large.

Let's also not forget what television has done to baseball. By making the World Series a strictly night-game event, it has prevented literally generations of kids from being able to watch full games. Kids who would grow up to be the next generation of fans. (We don't even have to talk about how TV turns the beautiful spectacle that is baseball into a narrow contest between pitcher and catcher. If you don't go to the game, you can't see the whole field, and you don't have any perspective. This is why a generation of people who only watch baseball on TV say it's boring. It's not boring when you see it live!)

Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Default The Last Day

It's hard to believe that this day has come. As I'm writing this, it will be tomorrow, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Unless I'm very much mistaken, two words that you won't be able to apply to the new ballpark are "giant" and "plastic." It'll probably look good--and will definitely be much smaller than Yankee Stadium. (The same things can be said for the Mets' new edifice). This puzzles me, as the Dodgers left Brooklyn because Ebbets Field was the smallest stadium in the NL, and they couldn't get a larger place built in New York. Now, completely voluntarily, both of New York's major league teams are putting up stadia of a capacity that lost us the Dodgers. As we say around here, go figure.
Thanks for the info, Fred. I hope you've heard correctly!

As for today's smaller parks, I think you're right on, two posts below the one quoted here, about the influence of television on the game today. That's where the money is these days, unfortunately.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...And once again, the fan gets the short end of the stick. You'd think there would be a point when the powers that be have to acknowledge us. I mean, there's no game without the fans, and the corporations that buy tickets aren't putting real fans in those seats, by and large.

Let's also not forget what television has done to baseball. By making the World Series a strictly night-game event, it has prevented literally generations of kids from being able to watch full games. Kids who would grow up to be the next generation of fans. (We don't even have to talk about how TV turns the beautiful spectacle that is baseball into a narrow contest between pitcher and catcher. If you don't go to the game, you can't see the whole field, and you don't have any perspective. This is why a generation of people who only watch baseball on TV say it's boring. It's not boring when you see it live!)
I remember the days when kids would smuggle radios into school during the World Series. In many ways, it was better then.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:30 AM

151 posts, read 785,616 times
Even as a Red Sox fan I'll be sad to see it go. I think the fact that both Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park are historic ballparks plays a big role in the rivalry between the Red Sox and Yankees.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:25 AM

64 posts, read 180,287 times
thats the new stadium...has the look of the one from the 1920's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball