Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times

Advertisements

Nothing is sacred in this day & age. Everything has to be new & shiny, everything has to be done to "keep up with the times". Tradition means nothing anymore.

They tore down my beloved Tiger Stadium, a beloved ballpark that I truly believe was what God had in mind when he gave man the notion for the great game of baseball. Now Yankee Stadium......a national and global icon in correlation with being American........a place with so much history it is literally considered a museum.......and yet, someone still decides that it isn't worthy of continued existence and has to build a stadium that looks just like everyone elses.

Just as I did with the Tigers in 2000, I shudder to think of what it's going to look and feel like watching the Yanks take the field next spring anywhere other than the true Yankee Stadium.

Don't tell me that with all our advances in technology and engineering we couldn't have kept these American monuments.............the people in control of it all just don't care, it's that simple.

And so another piece of Americana is relegated to our memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:07 PM

151 posts, read 785,575 times
How much does the current Yankee Stadium look like the Yankee Stadium pre-1977 re-modeling? What did they do to the stadium when they re-modeled it in 1977?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:16 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
They updated Fenway, they updated Lambeau Field. Sorry to me this is about green of the ownership. They figured a new era ballpark would bring in more money, when the cases I mentioned proved you can updated an historic site and still be effective.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
They updated Fenway, they updated Lambeau Field. Sorry to me this is about green of the ownership. They figured a new era ballpark would bring in more money, when the cases I mentioned proved you can updated an historic site and still be effective.
You forgot to put Soldier Field in there.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:59 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
You forgot to put Soldier Field in there.
I think i wanted to keep it to stadiums they redid that looked good.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:39 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,899 times
Default A few good memories from Yankee Stadium

NorthJersey.com: O'Connor: Jeter shuts down Yankee Stadium (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/OConnor_Jeter_shuts_down_Yankee_Stadium.html - broken link) and one more NorthJersey.com: Klapisch: Where have you gone, Joe the manager? (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Klapisch_A_cheesy_but_powerful_farewell.html - broken link)

Old 09-22-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Fenway Park they added seats and modern ammenities, they've kept the original 1912 design of Fenway Park. The design of the current Yankee Stadium does not look like it did back when it opened in 1923.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Fenway also has some of the oldest and narrowest seats one could ever imagine. It ain't just the team that we suffered for all those years.

Last edited by square peg; 09-22-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,899 times
Default Yankee fans did it again

NorthJersey.com: 18 arrested for stealing pieces of Yankee Stadium (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/18_arrested_for_stealing_pieces_of_Yankee_Stadium. html - broken link)

Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
How much does the current Yankee Stadium look like the Yankee Stadium pre-1977 re-modeling? What did they do to the stadium when they re-modeled it in 1977?

I believe that the rennovations were done in '74 through '75, and that they played the first season in the new park in '76. If I have this right, the dimensions were changed some in the new configuration, specifically the depth of the outfield in various sections. The short right field line had been there in the original configuration, but center and right fields had been deeper, and were moved in during the rennovation, so that they were more similar to the dimensions in most other major league parks.

Now, this one sounds strange, but it is true. The original monuments were actually on the field of play, deep in the outfield. To me that just sounds nuts. That could have been very risky for players, but it really is true that the monuments were out there. I'm not sure, but I believe that the plaques were attached to the outfield wall. All of this was moved back to "Monument Park," behind the center field wall, in the new setup.

Probably the most obvious change in the stadium's appearance was in the roof. Originally, there was a wide roof extending all the way over the grandstand and box seats. Especially noticeable was the fact that there was no grillwork above and behind the outfield wall. Instead, there was grillwork on the facade of the roof, all the way around the full front perimeter of the roof.

Not sure what the old color was, but back at some point in the past, the walls were not painted blue.

I think that's about it, as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball