Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times

Advertisements

The Yanks traded Melky Cabrera and Mike Dunn to Atlanta for Javier Vasquez and P/Boone Logan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,173 times
He pitched so well last time he was in NY...too bad he is not that good of an AL pitcher.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
Strikes guys out but will get lit up a ton. Enjoy.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
He pitched so well last time he was in NY...too bad he is not that good of an AL pitcher.
At that time he was expected to be either their ace or 1a pitcher.

Now he's going to be at best their #3 starting pitcher or in reality more like their #4.

Big difference there. 14-10 with a 4.91 era this time around would actually be very productive from that part of the rotation. If he gives them now what he gave them in 2004 it will go down as a good move for the Yankees.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Strikes guys out but will get lit up a ton. Enjoy.
He played for the Yanks in 2004 which was 6 years ago.I think he has grown a little since then and does not have the same request for certain areas because of homesickness like he previously did.He will also be #3 or #4 in the rotation(probably 3) so that eliminates alot of stress as does having the tutelage of CC,Burnett,and Petitte to assist him.He also was 15-10 last year without the hitting/run support that the Yanks provide and also posted a solid "2.87 ERA". I wish we didn't include Dunn in this deal though.He was one of our next in line guys from the left side out of the bullpen after Marte.

What this probably means now is that we will be going after another outfielder and maybe another lefthander for the bullpen.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Not a good AL pitcher? Time will tell but experience helps and he has that now.I think you're just seeing another season disappearing in front of your eyes again.Lowell returned due injury,Bay most likely gone.So in other words,you upgraded your staff with a starter and upgraded SS but a drop off in the OF and a banged up 3B going into the season.Looks like a wash to me. We went from Gaudin to Vasquez;now that's an upgrade.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM

823 posts, read 2,216,343 times
it is a fine deal for your 27 time World Champions. Vazquez is a proven innings eater who strikes people out. As a middle of the rotation starter that is all you can ask for, especially when you are pinning hopes on Pettitte and the Pie Man.

People will get all short sighted and so "ohhhh he sucked in 2004". And he did in the second half. In the first half he was money and made the All Star team.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
it is a fine deal for your 27 time World Champions. Vazquez is a proven innings eater who strikes people out. As a middle of the rotation starter that is all you can ask for, especially when you are pinning hopes on Pettitte and the Pie Man.

People will get all short sighted and so "ohhhh he sucked in 2004". And he did in the second half. In the first half he was money and made the All Star team.
I would agree that for a back end guy he is servicable, but he was infuriating to Chicago fans on the whitesox in 06 and 07, he would strike a ton of guys out, but always had a just horrific inning. It was a bit of a statistical anamoly, but I believe that year he gave up 4+ runs in the 5th inning like 9 times. I'll have to verify that though.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I would agree that for a back end guy he is servicable, but he was infuriating to Chicago fans on the whitesox in 06 and 07, he would strike a ton of guys out, but always had a just horrific inning. It was a bit of a statistical anamoly, but I believe that year he gave up 4+ runs in the 5th inning like 9 times. I'll have to verify that though.
If you remember last years rotation,we had CC,AJ,Pet,Joba,and the 5th spot was used with random starters.At least now we have our 5 locked in with Joba probably the 5th.Now it makes it easier and less stressful for the bullpen and we can use Gaudin in long relief.As for Vasquez,in 2004 it was his highest ERA for his career.Every year besides that his ERA was better.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,564 times
Looks like Johnny Damon isn't dead just yet, as long as he now lowers his demands of a three year deal, I can see him coming back to the Yanks by weeks end; as for Vasquez, you basically get him for a 4th outfielder; and I like Melky, but you saw his production go down the more he played, it's a sell high scenario; great trade for the Yanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball