Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times

Advertisements

Congrats early to the griz, they are by far the best defensive team in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 PM

927 posts, read 1,390,141 times
I'm so goddamned disappointed in this bunch I want to scream/puke!!! I hope OKC rapes the living **** out of Mem.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I'm so goddamned disappointed in this bunch I want scream/puke!!! I hope OKC rapes the living **** out of Mem.
Would you rather lose to a team that got destroyed in the next round or a team that makes a splash and puts ip a fight for a few rounds. I would rather lose to the champ then the guy that lost to the guy who lost to the champ.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Would you rather lose to a team that got destroyed in the next round or a team that makes a splash and puts ip a fight for a few rounds. I would rather lose to the champ then the guy that lost to the guy who lost to the champ.
Actually I think the Spurs match up better with OKC than they did with Memphis. Unfortunately we'll never see how a series with OKC might have gone. But how, how does this no account 46 game winning bunch of scrubs beat the Spurs? I don't get it.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM

well 1st, since january 1st the griz are 1 game behind the spurs, they are not some slouch or a normal 8 seed. if this was the east the griz would be what, the 5 seed. they have all the size of the lakers, but better perimeter defense. they have heart, and grit. they are in 2 words a GOOD TEAM.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Either way, it doesn't get rid of the fact they they're out...

I hate to say it, but it looks like the end of an era.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 PM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
So, that poses the big question....what do the Spurs do with their squad?

Is it pre-mature to break them up? When do some of the big contracts come to an end for the stars? Any of them possibly looking at retirement?

Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM

pop has said NO WAY will the core be broken up. there is A LOT of talk of duncan opting out of his 21m next season and taking a 3 year deal for about half that or maybe less. right now they dont have much cap room (provided things dont change numbers wise on the cap). if he opts out there has been a lot of talk of a duncan splitter tag team to land NENE which would 100% open the window as wide as ever. there has been talk of trying to trade RJ, i think he bonner and blair all need to go and a combo becomes worth something but individually not much. some talk of trading tony parker still exists but is highly unlikely. other then those scenarios, mcdyess has already said he will not be back, retiring. they will have what ever midlevel exception there is, and they never used their bi-annual exception so that should still be open. i would personally like to see them get a guy like peitrus or grant hill, or Andrei Kirilenko. you know its kinda funny to me but i kinda like the idea of tracy mcbaby for the vet minimum as well. he plays decent defense, can still score, and as long as he isnt the one who needs to carry the load should be able to be counted on.

in the end, the future of the team really still falls on duncans shoulders. he has taken less money to create flexibility in the past, i have a feeling (and have read its something like 60-40 or 70-30) he will opt out to help the team keep a window open for #5. think about this, duncan opts out, freeing up abour 10-11m and the spurs can go to nene who is VERY close friends with splitter and get him. trade blair/bonner to utah for raja bell, and offer the midlevel to andrei. SA has great defense, keeps most of its youth, and retains the scoring and core.

pipe dreams maybe, but not completely impossible. in some cases very possible.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 PM

In addition to adding some more length and athleticism to the front court the Spurs should make an attempt to return to the old days of defense that won the team multiple Championships. I thought that when Pop made the switch to a more offensive oriented philosophy a couple of seasons ago that that would be the key to winning more Championships. Clearly it was not.

The addition of a good defensive 4 or 5 like a Marc Gasol, Nene or even a Dalembert would help to shore up the front line enough so that there wouldn't be so much pressure on Tim to do so much at this very late stage of his career. Jefferson must go and so does Matt Bonner. In the end I do have much confidence in the Spurs front office to help bolster the Big Three and make us solid contenders once again next season.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:54 AM

had a little birdie tell me that tim duncan and his agent where seriously talking about opting out to resign at less money. its still speculation but a very real possibility apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball