Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,098,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Bosh and Wade will have to take serious paycuts. Even if the all the big 3 resign, do you think there is any chance Carmelo Anthony signs with the Heat?
nope. i just posted in the offseason thread.

looks like melo believes in PJ and is planning to stay in NYC. (though i believe its the $129,000,000 he can sign for there that he cant get anywhere else)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:27 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Do you have a source for your comments on Wade? Only thing I've read says Wade is looking at a 4 year deal at 11 million annually. Which is VERY REASONABLE for what Wade brings. That puts him right in the same salary range as Ginobili which is what I've been advocating for to my friends since last season. Source: Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade*deals set up*LeBron James' return to Heat - NY Daily News
It was originally reported that they would take those kinds of pay cuts. Then their agent (both have the same agent) said that was a bogus report and they were not taking those kinds of pay cuts.

Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh want more than reported pay cuts - CBSSports.com

Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
If you believe this dude's blog, LeBron has decided to "take his talents" back to Cleveland:

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/07...uly-9-edition/

Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,182,837 times
If you look at it from a pure business and basketball salary/roster perspective, it is very difficult to see how the Heat will be able to manage putting a decent roster together with 3 max or even near-max players on the payroll. As of now, they have 3 mediocre players under contract. Make no mistake, at the end of the day, a player in their prime will maximize their income unless they have little doubt that the team is a lock for the next season. That is the danger that the Heat put themselves into 4 years ago. They bought 2 champonships by putting 3 younger, max players together with an older supporting cast. Now, one of them (Wade) is past his prime with bad knees to boot. Bosh is a good player, but it is obvious that he was the weakest of the 3 through their collective tenure. The issue is that they have all opted out, still all want near max money and can likely get it elsewhere. LeBron James is a lock to get the maximum. Bosh will get close to it. Wade is still a 14-15 million dollar player. Really, the only scenario that works for the Heat is to bring LeBron back at a max deal with the other 2 taking rather large paycuts. I doubt that even Pat Riley has the mojo to make that happen. Otherwise, it is fairly easy to see why Cleveland's cap situation, draft situation and current young, talented roster is enticing to a player like Lebron James. He could have a solid 4 year run with the likes of Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters and Andrew Wiggins. With or without LeBron, the Cavs are in a very good spot right now.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
If you look at it from a pure business and basketball salary/roster perspective, it is very difficult to see how the Heat will be able to manage putting a decent roster together with 3 max or even near-max players on the payroll. As of now, they have 3 mediocre players under contract. Make no mistake, at the end of the day, a player in their prime will maximize their income unless they have little doubt that the team is a lock for the next season. That is the danger that the Heat put themselves into 4 years ago. They bought 2 champonships by putting 3 younger, max players together with an older supporting cast. Now, one of them (Wade) is past his prime with bad knees to boot. Bosh is a good player, but it is obvious that he was the weakest of the 3 through their collective tenure. The issue is that they have all opted out, still all want near max money and can likely get it elsewhere. LeBron James is a lock to get the maximum. Bosh will get close to it. Wade is still a 14-15 million dollar player. Really, the only scenario that works for the Heat is to bring LeBron back at a max deal with the other 2 taking rather large paycuts. I doubt that even Pat Riley has the mojo to make that happen. Otherwise, it is fairly easy to see why Cleveland's cap situation, draft situation and current young, talented roster is enticing to a player like Lebron James. He could have a solid 4 year run with the likes of Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters and Andrew Wiggins. With or without LeBron, the Cavs are in a very good spot right now.
No offense but Clevelands owners have shown they have a talent for one thing....getting high draft picks.

Other than that they've made a host of bad trades and signings that have eaten up their cap space while being unable to attract much quality out of free agency.

Remember, a lot of free agency is a dog and pony show where agents and owners make each other look like they are doing something when really it's just being done to leverage value for the player or a favor to the team to keep the media off their back by showing them "trying" to get Melo, Lebron or whomever.

Frankly, there are a couple teams with players that are ready now that lebron could join and play with before his skills start to slide. By the time Wiggins etc. start playing good ball he'll be 32+.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,808,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No offense but Clevelands owners have shown they have a talent for one thing....getting high draft picks.

Other than that they've made a host of bad trades and signings that have eaten up their cap space while being unable to attract much quality out of free agency.

Remember, a lot of free agency is a dog and pony show where agents and owners make each other look like they are doing something when really it's just being done to leverage value for the player or a favor to the team to keep the media off their back by showing them "trying" to get Melo, Lebron or whomever.

Frankly, there are a couple teams with players that are ready now that lebron could join and play with before his skills start to slide. By the time Wiggins etc. start playing good ball he'll be 32+.
Give them credit for getting high draft picks...Dan Gilbert facilitated a trade taking on millions of dollars in Baron Davis trade getting the Clips pick that turned into the #1 overall pick. They have 3 first round picks next season! And guess what cap room unlike 20+ teams out there to get Lebron and an owner willing to pay luxury tax unlike Arison.

You can bash the Thompson pick- but he shares an agent with Lebron- maybe we will find out that had something with the mending process (Gilbert/Lebron).

Kevin Love wants in now....if Lebron is here- assuming Lebron commits for more than 3 years (the case last time). Lebron was part of the issue attracting players here.

I will take a Kyrie/Wiggins/Love/Older Lebron combo...this is assuming Waiters is not in the picture because he is dealt for Love.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Give them credit for getting high draft picks...Dan Gilbert facilitated a trade taking on millions of dollars in Baron Davis trade getting the Clips pick that turned into the #1 overall pick. They have 3 first round picks next season! And guess what cap room unlike 20+ teams out there to get Lebron and an owner willing to pay luxury tax unlike Arison.

You can bash the Thompson pick- but he shares an agent with Lebron- maybe we will find out that had something with the mending process (Gilbert/Lebron).

Kevin Love wants in now....if Lebron is here- assuming Lebron commits for more than 3 years (the case last time). Lebron was part of the issue attracting players here.

I will take a Kyrie/Wiggins/Love/Older Lebron combo...this is assuming Waiters is not in the picture because he is dealt for Love.
I'm not giving them credit for amassing first round picks by only winning 97 games over the last 4 years. (and in some cases renting out their cap space because when you are already face down taking it up the b-hole you might as well get paid for it? Oooh did I just come up with the Cavs new motto?)

I'm not giving them credit for getting lucky with a bouncing lottery ball.

Basically the only thing Cleveland can brag about is having sucked really really bad and as a result they have some good draft picks but still haven't gotten above 33 wins.

Hey, you land lebron and Love then props to Cleveland.

Until then, all I've seen is incompetance and some luck. That will get you nowhere in the long run.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not giving them credit for amassing first round picks by only winning 97 games over the last 4 years. (and in some cases renting out their cap space because when you are already face down taking it up the b-hole you might as well get paid for it? Oooh did I just come up with the Cavs new motto?)

I'm not giving them credit for getting lucky with a bouncing lottery ball.

Basically the only thing Cleveland can brag about is having sucked really really bad and as a result they have some good draft picks but still haven't gotten above 33 wins.

Hey, you land lebron and Love then props to Cleveland.

Until then, all I've seen is incompetance and some luck. That will get you nowhere in the long run.
As a Cavs fan if it nets Lebron and Love, the strategy paid off. The long run pay off maybe today or tomorrow? We will see.

Say what you want about incompetance, the letter, luck you name it. Mr. Gilbert spends and rest assured if there is a Lebron Part 2- I like our chances in a weak East.

We could have been the Jazz/Hawks and loaded up after Lebron for 35-45 win seasons- does that excite a fan base after 66 and 61 win seasons? I think not.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
As a Cavs fan if it nets Lebron and Love, the strategy paid off. The long run pay off maybe today or tomorrow? We will see.

Say what you want about incompetance, the letter, luck you name it. Mr. Gilbert spends and rest assured if there is a Lebron Part 2- I like our chances in a weak East.

We could have been the Jazz/Hawks and loaded up after Lebron for 35-45 win seasons- does that excite a fan base after 66 and 61 win seasons? I think not.
I have zero problem tanking and sucking to push forward to a big rebuild. On that we agree.

I agree that if Cleveland manages to leverage some of their lottery luck into the addition of Lebron and Love then it's a win no matter how it happened. On that we agree.

The GM that engineered that strategy however has been fired.

Sooooo, if it was a good plan then Mr. Gilbert canned a guy with a good plan out of impatience......errrr.....not a good sign.

The other thing we disagree about is the whole "Mr. Gilbert spends" schtick that I keep hearing. This is not baseball. Also, Cleveland was 24th in payroll in 2014....but @60mil....80mil was 4th in payroll. Most of the difference in most team payrolls is timing of multi-year deals. Adjust for those and the NBA has pretty decent payroll parity. In short, Mr. Gilbert spends no more than most owners in the NBA it's not something commendable.

P.S. A whole lot of teams have gotten all hyped up over the years that Lebron was going to go there.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Numbers for you Mathguy...

Dan Gilbert in a title hunt spends...07-08 Cavs 4th team salary, 08-09 Cavs 4th (again) team salary, and when the big push was on 09-10 Cavs team salary #1!. What this tells me when time was ticking and lebron was growing impatient the man opened his wallet for the team. Kind of see why the anger surfaced after the decision.

Now...were they all great signings- no. I hated the Shaq signing- thought they need a more uptempo big with Lebron. It was a very good set of role players and at the time that was a solid plan- the Big 3 strategy wasn't something contemplated in any organization.

#1 mistake not unloading Hickson for Amare- although Amare declined quickly.
#2 mistake going all in on Hughes ...but we talked about the weak FA class that was 2005.

The Cavs former GM hired/fired/or sitting at home deserves an assist if this works out. True lots of hype from teams about Lebron, but 20 or so teams didn't have room for it to make it happen nor did they recently make the moves to have it happen. So hype is hype.

P.S. Gilbert will pay luxury tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball