Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Numbers for you Mathguy...

Dan Gilbert in a title hunt spends...07-08 Cavs 4th team salary, 08-09 Cavs 4th (again) team salary, and when the big push was on 09-10 Cavs team salary #1!. What this tells me when time was ticking and lebron was growing impatient the man opened his wallet for the team. Kind of see why the anger surfaced after the decision.

Now...were they all great signings- no. I hated the Shaq signing- thought they need a more uptempo big with Lebron. It was a very good set of role players and at the time that was a solid plan- the Big 3 strategy wasn't something contemplated in any organization.

#1 mistake not unloading Hickson for Amare- although Amare declined quickly.
#2 mistake going all in on Hughes ...but we talked about the weak FA class that was 2005.

The Cavs former GM hired/fired/or sitting at home deserves an assist if this works out. True lots of hype from teams about Lebron, but 20 or so teams didn't have room for it to make it happen nor did they recently make the moves to have it happen. So hype is hype.

P.S. Gilbert will pay luxury tax.
I 100% agree about Gilberts willingness to open his wallet, I've just beefed that he made some dumb spends that jacked up their salary cap leaving Lebron with little help.

My only comment is that with the caps in place Gilbert isn't able to do much more than anybody else. The reason Cleveland hit #1 in 2010 was due to the timing of the built in increases. Basically, a single years payroll isn't indicative of spending because a 6 year 90million contract might start at 10mil but end at 20mil in the last year.

As for the GM situation it seems like we both like their rebuild strategy...but Gilbert dumped him which makes me think Gilbert is the problem and that he sticks his nose in a little too much just like the Dolans do in NY only 10x worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:24 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,809,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I 100% agree about Gilberts willingness to open his wallet, I've just beefed that he made some dumb spends that jacked up their salary cap leaving Lebron with little help.

My only comment is that with the caps in place Gilbert isn't able to do much more than anybody else. The reason Cleveland hit #1 in 2010 was due to the timing of the built in increases. Basically, a single years payroll isn't indicative of spending because a 6 year 90million contract might start at 10mil but end at 20mil in the last year.

As for the GM situation it seems like we both like their rebuild strategy...but Gilbert dumped him which makes me think Gilbert is the problem and that he sticks his nose in a little too much just like the Dolans do in NY only 10x worse.
Well before 09-10 they signed Shaq for 25% of the total at 20M. The little nickle and dime contract like Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones hurt them. And the big factor the giant elephant in the corner- after Lebron re-upped for just three years- the talk was he was shopping for the next team...so what marquee name are you going to bring in long term after that?

I have to give the organization credit- they were very good a flipping some of these mistakes.

Z was big re-sign- who played well after he re-signed and we learned was a buddy of Lebron's (still is).

To the opposite - I fault Cavs Management for one thing that you and really no one else acknowledges- he let young immature lebron and his buddies outside of the basketball court bascially run the franchise. Pat Riley and Co. said "no way" to that idea.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I fault Cavs Management for one thing that you and really no one else acknowledges- he let young immature lebron and his buddies outside of the basketball court bascially run the franchise. Pat Riley and Co. said "no way" to that idea.
I'm aware of some of that, but you are right....it rarely get's mentioned.

They had a similar problem with Jordan in Chicago but also said "no way".

Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,677,521 times
Quote:
Well before 09-10 they signed Shaq for 25% of the total at 20M. The little nickle and dime contract like Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones hurt them. And the big factor the giant elephant in the corner- after Lebron re-upped for just three years- the talk was he was shopping for the next team...so what marquee name are you going to bring in long term after that?

I have to give the organization credit- they were very good a flipping some of these mistakes.

Z was big re-sign- who played well after he re-signed and we learned was a buddy of Lebron's (still is).

To the opposite - I fault Cavs Management for one thing that you and really no one else acknowledges- he let young immature lebron and his buddies outside of the basketball court bascially run the franchise. Pat Riley and Co. said "no way" to that idea.
Well based on the results after he left, it appears that Lebron and his buddies were doing a better job than current cavs management.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Well based on the results after he left, it appears that Lebron and his buddies were doing a better job than current cavs management.
You are taking me back to all the threads over the years where Lebron was leaving or Dwight Howard etc. and fans rushed in to scream how they were losers and didn't need them and would be a .500 club without them.....and then cratered to lottery-ville.

(and are still there)

Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,618,430 times
I think with Lebron taking his time on making his decision public, he is forcing Bosh to make his decision first because Houston has to know soon so they can make the moves they need to make. If Bosh decides to go to Houston, then Lebron will go back to Miami with the possibility of Miami getting Carmelo Anthony instead of Bosh. But Melo will have to take a drastic pay cut to sign with Miami, which he just might for a chance for a ring.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:04 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,776 times
The longer this drags out the worse the odds get for the Cavs. I have never really bought in that he was coming back. I'm thinking that this is just an epic troll job on Dan Gilbert and Cavs fans due to lingering bad feelings that originated when he first left.

If you look at things rationally the Cavs have a much brighter future than the Heat do. Lebron is from here and it has been pretty much confirmed that his wife would like to return to the area to raise their children.

People say LeBron doesn't want to tick off his Superbestfriends but he's not hurting Wade or Bosh if he leaves the Heat. Miami will take care of Wade financially (he is God in Miami and the PR hit they would take if they screw him would be huge) and Bosh has a chance to go to Houston, be the ma, get paid and turn them into a powerhouse team. The only reason to re-sign with the Heat would be out of a sense of loyalty to Riley and/or a desire to stick it to Gilbert and Cavs fans.

Sadly I think it is the latter. The east coast media, ESPN, etc.. would be in heaven if the Cavs get jilted again. Plus companies endorsed by LeBron don't want him in the midwest.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,935,878 times
Hmmm.. here we go:

LeBron James announces return to Cleveland Cavaliers - NBA - SI.com

I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where I’m from. I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and start a family or open a business. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.
In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.
I’m ready to accept the challenge. I’m coming home.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,999,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
The longer this drags out the worse the odds get for the Cavs. I have never really bought in that he was coming back. I'm thinking that this is just an epic troll job on Dan Gilbert and Cavs fans due to lingering bad feelings that originated when he first left.

If you look at things rationally the Cavs have a much brighter future than the Heat do. Lebron is from here and it has been pretty much confirmed that his wife would like to return to the area to raise their children.

People say LeBron doesn't want to tick off his Superbestfriends but he's not hurting Wade or Bosh if he leaves the Heat. Miami will take care of Wade financially (he is God in Miami and the PR hit they would take if they screw him would be huge) and Bosh has a chance to go to Houston, be the ma, get paid and turn them into a powerhouse team. The only reason to re-sign with the Heat would be out of a sense of loyalty to Riley and/or a desire to stick it to Gilbert and Cavs fans.

Sadly I think it is the latter. The east coast media, ESPN, etc.. would be in heaven if the Cavs get jilted again. Plus companies endorsed by LeBron don't want him in the midwest.

Being that Cleveland is the center of the universe right now with the Johnny Manziel hype, the RNC coming here, and now with Lebron, the only reason I'm OK with him coming back is to keep the positive vibe of this region going! If he doesn't come back, a lot of folks are going to be let down, and given the circus that was "The Decision" 4 years ago, why allow yourselves to be set up like that again? Basically if he comes back, then good. If he doesn't I will be one northeast Ohioan that will be over it. Too much good stuff going on in this region right now to let one person ruin it all.

At any rate, it looks like ESPN is indeed saying that Lebron has decided to "come home!"

Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,100,025 times
well well well thee prodigal some returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball