Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 PM

61 posts, read 121,465 times

Advertisements

I have to chime in for Hilo Burger Joint right in the ole downtown there. I walked there from my condo a few times a week and they often had live music including karaoke. Tried every burger they had and one typically lasted me 3 days! It's organic grass-fed local beef and really, really good. And great Long Island Ice Tea too!

Also enjoyed Cafe Pesto, for all the reasons already stated. Ambience is da bomb! And oh, the pizza....

Kona-side, I vouch for the Kona Canoe Club with fantastic ocean-side seating, shaded, outdoors....not crowded when I was there, amazing considering the view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM

21 posts, read 43,568 times
...Kona-side, I vouch for the Kona Canoe Club with fantastic ocean-side seating, shaded, outdoors....not crowded when I was there, amazing considering the view...

Canoe Club is owned by the same folks that own the Kona Inn and menus/prices are very similar. Kona Inn seems to attract a bit more of an upmarket crowd. The Canoe Club has $4.95 Mai Tais from 2-5 pm everyday. They use shaved ice rather than ice cubes and they are YUMMY. Adult versions of Slurpees. And the ocean-side seating is great for watching the paddlers (both practicing and racing). And I too have found that it is usually not very crowded.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty1952 View Post
Kona Inn seems to attract a bit more of an upmarket crowd.
Agreed, and Canoe Club has a bit more of a casual "beach" feel to it. They're both good.

Whichever one you choose, don't miss the ukulele shop at the south end of that little complex. They have a really good selection of nice instruments.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Is Volcano winery any good or is it a tourist thing?
I'm a wine lover but don't consider myself an expert. With that caveat, I think that the Volcano Winery is quite good. They make several wines blended with jaboticaba, a berry that looks like a grape but isn't, and which grows in clusters on the side of the tree. It makes a light-bodied red wine that I find similar to some of our Oregon pinot noirs. If you're up by the park, you might as well stop at the winery and do a tasting.

My wife is from Hilo, so when we go back to visit, we always stop at her old favorite eateries. Aside from the aforementioned Cafe Pesto and Ken's, there's Cafe 100 and Kuhio Grille for local plate-lunch food (loco moco, lau lau, etc.), Hilo Lunch Shop for Japanese box-lunch foods suitable for picnics (sushi, etc.), and KTA grocery store for their deli case selections, particularly their various types of fresh poke (raw ahi tuna seasoned with soy sauce and other things). If you drive around the island, Merriman's in Waimea is good (and famous), and you should stop at Tex's in Honoka'a for their malasadas. If you make it up to Hawi in north Kohala, Fig's makes some of the best burgers I've ever had, from cows raised on the local ranches. Of the above, only Cafe Pesto and Merriman's would qualify as "fine dining," but if you're open to non-fancy local foods, give some of the others a try.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
There is a new sit down type restaurant in Honokaa. It's the Country Store and at the Hilo end of Mamane Street. (Main street). The ownership just changed about two months ago and now there's always cars parked outside. Good food, reasonable prices and a great view of the ocean in front of the Country Store. Comfortable and tasty place to eat.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:59 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
Not sure if somebody already nominated Sombats Thai restaurant in Hilo (behind Ken's). She grows a lot of the ingredients herself and it is the best Thai food I have ever had. Like most places you get to pick your level of spice heat. I find that requesting "mild plus" is perfect for my haole pallete. Just a little on the warm side, but just below the "should have gotten mild".

Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,394,115 times
Kona side:

Mi's, a good Italian place. Great desserts (Meyer Lemon creme brulee and their tiramisu won an award)
Jackie Rey's- have Muzzy do you the fish special
La Borgogne for nice French food
Lemongrass Cafe has good appetizers (we get 5-6 and call it dinner)
Pine Tree Cafe for good local food

Ocean's has a good burger deal 11AM-3 PM/$6.95 with fries, a huge, hand-patted burger of local BI beef

Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,394,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msherline View Post
Anybody know anything about the Fish Market Bar & Grill in Honokohau Harbor? It looks pretty dingy from the outside, but intriguing, especially since prices at Harbor House are so high.
Meh. I'd go to Bite Me (around the back) instead.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you want something more casual, Kiawe Kitchen, in the opposite corner of the Volcano Store building from O'hia Cafe has excellent wood fired pizzas and full meals, but it's usually jammed and buzzy and hard to relax in.

Kiawe Kitchen, 19-4005 Haunani Rd at Old Volcano Rd, Volcano, HI
UPDATE: Sorry, Kiawe Kitchen has now closed, and is "looking for another location." Sorry to see it go.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,054,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Meh. I'd go to Bite Me (around the back) instead.
We were extremely disappointed with Bite Me. Seafood was not fresh and shrimp was totally overcooked...we sent back the first, inedible batch; the second batch was a slight improvement but we only ate a few and the rest went in the trash. We will not return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island