Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Does that mean you aren't going to offer the positive reasons for buying sight unseen?
Some people like surprises, but like registered letters, most turn out to be bad news. I am begining to get suspicious, verrrryyy suspicious, about his reasons. Maybe he likes lemonade, Crystal Light, or is it Crystal Heavy..... Have to ponder this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I am begining to get suspicious, verrrryyy suspicious
Yeah - I've just been having fun - I don't think someone really buys property sight unseen on the Big Island - or anywhere (usually) - without seeing the property - or at least someone they trust seeing the property - it isn't like it won't be available a year from now. It just makes yourself seem kind of silly - I mean, is it that hard is it to take a flight over and look at it? Last I checked in the newspaper, BI real estate isn't that tough to acquire.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM

113 posts, read 396,610 times
Quote:
Some people like surprises, but like registered letters, most turn out to be bad news. I am begining to get suspicious, verrrryyy suspicious, about his reasons. Maybe he likes lemonade, Crystal Light, or is it Crystal Heavy..... Have to ponder this one.
Someone buys property using satellite and street imaging data followed by a realtor walking the lot describing it over the phone and now they are crack/crystal meth producer. Thats quite a stretch indeed and frankly you can, well never mind.

And for the bit about BI land is not hard to get your right unless you want acreage in a lower elevation.

But when it comes down to it, why do you even care what I do or how I do it. I posted a question and you can choose to try and help or not. No need to be completely off topic about what I choose to spend my money on or why. The thread was about Hawaiian Acres HOA. Please try and stay on topic is all I can ask. If you can't then don't post. It's that easy really.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:10 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Well, Gyva, I wish you the best of luck on the BI. You're going to need it with your know-it-all attitude. You came on the forum asking questions of those of us who actually live here and know what it's REALLY like to live in Hawaii, and then you start arguing with people and putting down our advice to you. There are very valid reasons why the regular posters, who actually live here, have advised you not to buy sight unseen. Street imaging data taken at one minute on one day does NOT accurately portray the neighborhood at all the other 525,000 minutes in a year. Nor does a realtor walking the lot. But you've chosen to ignore the advice given here, so go for it. Hope you are one of the rare few who actually likes the property they buy sight unseen!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well, decided to google grow light hawaii puna - and you get this:

Underground marijuana-growing operation uncovered in Puna | More Local News - KITV Home
Ohhhhhhh, yeah, a swing and a miss. That was Glenwood, not HA. You really should have posted this article instead, with details on the drug busts on Road 8 and on Road 7 in Hawaiian Acres last October.

Puna busts net nine suspects, hundreds of marijuana plants*|*Big Island Video News

I suppose you could try looking for the Road 8 location on Streetview, but it only goes as far as Road G, and there's no data at all for Road 7. For that matter there's no Streetview for Roads 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 9 either. Sadly, more than 90% of Hawaiian Acres is not viewable at all on Streetview. I have a friend who has lived in HA for 25 years who isn't on it.

But then again, since 50% of HA has no electric service available, and pot-growers who do indoor-grow operations favor big generators to power their grow-lights anyway, maybe the satellite view will help identify them. Or not. It's pretty hard to identify anything smaller than a car or pickup truck on the satellite views us civilians have access to. My friend in HA has a neighbor one street over who raises maybe 75-100 fighting roosters which all go off at 4am, but there's no sign of them at all on Google Maps or Streetview or Google Earth.

And those lava tubes that can make a lot unusable, you probably won't see those from a virtual drive-by either, nor can you judge the quality of the soil or much of anything really, but hey... anything to help a Realtor(tm) out. After all, in that area they have been starving for years, so they'll knock themselves out to make a sale.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-06-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 PM

113 posts, read 396,610 times
Quote:
Well, Gyva, I wish you the best of luck on the BI. You're going to need it with your know-it-all attitude
I give up... lol

My attitude is to see things as doable, So many people are so fast to say I can't or you can't its like they have "we're all helpless" tunnel thinking, it's crazy to me. I'm not buying a $500,000 home, I'm not even buying a home at all. I'm buying a piece dirt (or rock for those of you that would have loved to jump on that one because those are the kinda folks that are here unfortunately). If theres lava tubes on it cool, I'll design some cool structures that take advantage of them.

Is it over 2 acres, Check
Is it wooded, Check
Proper elevation, Check
Immediate neighbors thus far, no, Check
Close enough distance to recreation and shopping, Check
Lucky enough to learn a city data user knew some of the neighbors, their great, + +
Affordable, Check
In a flood zone, nope, Check (Thank you poster for bringing that to my attention)

Ok guys, is this good enough for you now, This is all I care about and its good enough for me, can you accept that, because if you can't go cry somewhere else, I don't wanna hear it.

Quote:
You came on the forum asking questions of those of us who actually live here
Yes, so if you have information on Hawaiian Acres HOA, I'd love to hear it

Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Hawaiian Acres should be a good choice for the OP since he's looking for a place without a lot of restrictive CC&R's or a HOA which makes a lot of rules. HPP, Leilani, Nanawale, etc. etc. all have a lot of restrictions about what can be built and how fast. Hawaiian Acres doesn't have all these sorts of restrictions.

Most of the lots in Hawaiian Acres are pretty similar so it doesn't really matter which one you choose most times. There have even been folks who built on their neighbor's lot since they couldn't tell them apart. There are some broad changes as you go across the sub, but for side by side lots, most of them are very similar. So, a satellite view will show if there's houses nearby or not. If there aren't houses and the person buying the lot doesn't care if there's a lava tube or not or soil or not or coqui frogs or not, then why not buy? It's not a life changing decision since the lots aren't that expensive. If they come over later and decide they don't like it, then they can resell it and recoup most of the losses. Dunno if it would appreciate enough to cover realtor costs or not, but it wouldn't be a huge mistake.

A friend just bought a lot up in Fern Forest BECAUSE it had a lava tube on it. It holds no interest for me and in my world that would be a huge detriment, but she's all excited about it. So maybe the OP wants a lava tube? Did we ask?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva View Post
Thank you to those that reply about Hawaiian Acres.
Usually a inquiry that end with such an invitation WANTS INPUT. But not always, as we have learned in this thread.

For future readers of this thread, many (if not all) of us who actually "live here" think it is wise to do an "in person" inspection of land prior to buying. But it is not a law, and a prospective buyer does not "have to" do it. Each person gets to decide for themselves.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hawaiian Acres should be a good choice for the OP since he's looking for a place without a lot of restrictive CC&R's or a HOA which makes a lot of rules. HPP, Leilani, Nanawale, etc. etc. all have a lot of restrictions about what can be built and how fast. Hawaiian Acres doesn't have all these sorts of restrictions.

Most of the lots in Hawaiian Acres are pretty similar so it doesn't really matter which one you choose most times. There have even been folks who built on their neighbor's lot since they couldn't tell them apart. There are some broad changes as you go across the sub, but for side by side lots, most of them are very similar. So, a satellite view will show if there's houses nearby or not. If there aren't houses and the person buying the lot doesn't care if there's a lava tube or not or soil or not or coqui frogs or not, then why not buy? It's not a life changing decision since the lots aren't that expensive. If they come over later and decide they don't like it, then they can resell it and recoup most of the losses. Dunno if it would appreciate enough to cover realtor costs or not, but it wouldn't be a huge mistake.

A friend just bought a lot up in Fern Forest BECAUSE it had a lava tube on it. It holds no interest for me and in my world that would be a huge detriment, but she's all excited about it. So maybe the OP wants a lava tube? Did we ask?
Perhaps you could use the tunnel to whip up big batches of Lemonade - you know, Crystal Something-or-Other.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva View Post
FEAR!!!! FEAR!!!! FEAR!!! DOOM!!! DOOM!!! DOOM!!! METH LABS!!!! FROGS!!! Mosquito's!!!.....The good ol' boys club will always be here, punctual as usual.
Is anyone else happy to see that both OpenD and Whtviper1 are in the "good ol' boys club" together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island