Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times

Advertisements

You might email Nanawale longhouse at nanawale@interpac.net and ask if a smaller house is possible by varience. There is a nearly new house on lower Seaview Rd. that is only about 600 sq. ft. so I don't think the CCR's are set in stone. The county will issue a permit extension for a small fee. I don't think the assn. would bother you if construction was ongoing, progress being made, within reason. If it was taking 2-3 years, they would probably harass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 AM

376 posts, read 490,434 times
880 is pretty small, I am surprized this is an issue. Even if this is for one person, 880 is really not a big building. I would just build it legally and not worry about it.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 AM

880 sq. ft. isn't large, but new construction costs in Hawaii average $135 a square foot. At that rate an 880 ft. house would be $37,800 more than a 600 ft. house, a deal breaker for a beer budget. One of my neighbors lives in a 256' house, 16 x 16, all she could afford, and has been happy as a clam there for the last 10 years.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
eh Leilaniguy, is that happy as a clam, or happy as an opihi??? 880 sf living area under roof, go with split pitch roof and a five foot overhang, full surround lanai, screened in or not, now you're talkin old style Hawaiian home!! Spend your time on the lanai, talkin story, or listening to music, and watchin the day drift by. My plans for OVE are pretty much like that, lookin forward to it.
Most of the new homes going up on Maui have no lanais, all central AC, it's like transplanting a mainland home to Maui, makes no sense to me. Guess some people just don't get it......

aloha and okolemaluna

Old 11-30-2007, 02:22 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
eh Leilaniguy, is that happy as a clam, or happy as an opihi??? 880 sf living area under roof, go with split pitch roof and a five foot overhang, full surround lanai, screened in or not, now you're talkin old style Hawaiian home!! Spend your time on the lanai, talkin story, or listening to music, and watchin the day drift by. My plans for OVE are pretty much like that, lookin forward to it.
Most of the new homes going up on Maui have no lanais, all central AC, it's like transplanting a mainland home to Maui, makes no sense to me. Guess some people just don't get it......

aloha and okolemaluna
sounds like a plan. when we finally start building up at mauna loa estates, i really want to have a lanai. don't know if many people up there have it with the weather and all?! however, we will need something a little bigger because of all the animals. dogs and cats have to be separated. cats are strictly indoors. dogs are in/outdoors.

wish we had a lanai here in kailua. we do have the back yard though where we can spend time under the mango tree. also wish the front yard was had better landscaping. but, with the purchase of the lot up at MLE, the landscaping will have to wait.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:14 AM

6 posts, read 73,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
880 sq. ft. isn't large, but new construction costs in Hawaii average $135 a square foot. At that rate an 880 ft. house would be $37,800 more than a 600 ft. house, a deal breaker for a beer budget. One of my neighbors lives in a 256' house, 16 x 16, all she could afford, and has been happy as a clam there for the last 10 years.
That is exactly my concern. Additionally, Bamboo Living offers a unit that is:

16'x24' rectangle
384' interior+192' porch
576 sqft covered area

That is really all I need and want. Small is not better for me. So, if I were to add a bigger covered lanai does that count toward my 880? I am still not clear on this.

And someone in Nanawale got approval for a unit about this size. That is really great news! I would be nice to know that the CA is flexible and working in the interest of its members. Leilaniguy´is that confirmed? That precendent would be all I need to get approval.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 AM

376 posts, read 490,434 times
I understand the concerns with regards to adding sq footage and pricing. However, I currently live in about 1000 sq ft and feel like I am in a sardine can, so I can't imagine living in anything smaller. Also, if you add on, you can use the additional room as a rental space and it could pay for itself. That was my plan. I was hoping to add on like a guest house type situation (or a mother in law set up) and rent out that part to offset costs. If I had my way, I would figure out a way to build something very separate from me, but just as large, so I could make enough to pay the mortgage from just the rental income. I really am looking into ways to have as close to zero bills as possible someday. I also want to plant everything I could possibly plant to grow food. I want to live totally off grid as much as possible-why? I hate working. (Or I should say, hate what I have been doing so far, and want to keep work to a part time job-stress free livin')
Just some thoughts.
Aloha, Julie

Old 12-01-2007, 04:45 AM

About the 600' house on Seaview road- I can't guarantee it was approved by the HOA, but I assume so. All I know is what I've seen- the house was built 3-4 years ago, saw it advertised as permitted and finaled. It sold right away. It is a 1 bedroom shotgun type house with carport, looks nice. Lanais are considered exterior areas of a house as far as I know, but my house and many others here have screens instead of windows on at least some of the rooms. I'm not sure how the building dept. decides what constitutes a room or a lanai and what the difference is, since most all lanais around here are screened in.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,300 times
Aloha Makaha ,
Yesterday was the Nanawale Home owners meeting. This very subject was discussed and a new committee was formed to enforce the CC&R’s regarding building too small and unpermited structures. Nanawale Board of Directors are all new this year and are making big strides to protect our property values as well developing a safer community.
They are going to start fining property owners that do not comply with the CC&R’s , they will then put liens against properties that do not pay the fines. At this time the fines are low. Only $25 a quarter, but this is not a fixed price and they are talking about increasing the amount for homeowners that repeat the same offence.
Brent Parry is in charge of the Architectural Committee. He is a really nice guy and I know he does not like the sq. footage limitations himself. But legally Nanawale is bound to enforce the current rules. They could be sued and may be sued buy any homeowner for not enforcing the CC&R’S. To change the CC&R’S it would take a 90% vote from all the owners. I don’t see that happening.
I know this month the Architectural Committee will be approaching the County building department to see how they can help keep and get our homeowners in compliance with our CC&R’S as well as assist homeowners to permit, unpermitted structures.
If you had built last year, you would have gotten the blind eye. The Board of Directors where not enforcing most of the CC&R’S. They had been in office for many years and had a very laid back approach. But yesterdays mistakes does not justify today’s.
I would talk to Brent ASAP and see how he can help you.
Sorry for the bad new.
Your future neighbor.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:53 AM

26 posts, read 337,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaha View Post
I bought a lot in Nanawale. I was surprised to find out after that the community association has an 880 sq. ft. dwelling minimum, requires a permit and a committee review of the plans before construction start.

I've seen many smaller units there including one currently for sale.

What will the association actually do if you build a unit less then 880?

Do other neighboring subdivisions such as Seaview, Black Sands, or HPP have similar requirments?

I just want to build a small, nice place for myself. No hassles.

Experience of owners in Nanawale and similar areas would be very appreciated.
Move to Fern Forest you can live in a Shack or a car there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island