Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
You don't have to yell.

Nanawale Community Association, Inc

Click on documents.

I don't believe it is the real estate agents fault for not knowing all the aspects of the CCR's of a subdivision. It may have been the agents responsibility to point out that there are CCR's, but not the agents responsibility to read and interpret them. That was your job, before you purchased.

I think the minimum is a good idea. Without it, you end up with (literally) a bunch of one and two room shacks and cabins, which attract certain elements of the population that most others don't want around. The association also has a one year time span for you to finish your house. This is also good as it helps prevent the "perpetual builder" from trying out his 10 year project that never gets finished.

I am really happy to see what the association has been doing during the last year or two. They have made a lot of progress towards cleaning up the subdivision.
I agree completely; I don't know why people think they can move to the Big Island and build cabins and shacks, crap in an outhouse and think it's alright. I'm sure these same people would be crying big boogers if someone built a shack and outhouse next to their home on the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
In my experience, the subject of CC&Rs comes up 1) during the property search (do you want to buy in a subdivision with or without them?), 2) at the time of writing up the Purchase Contract (we usually put this in the Special Terms section and it is also addressed in the Hawaii Island Disclosure we use in the "Limitations on Land Use" section), 3) when reviewing the Seller's Disclosure (though a Seller's disclosure is not required for land sales), and 4) upon review of the title report. Agents certainly ought to be discussing CC&Rs with their buyers and be able to provide copies of CC&Rs for Big Island subdivisions, but it is up to the buyer to take time to actually read the documents we provide!

(Issues like this illustrate why I like to provide a Purchase Contract and our Hawaii Island Disclosure to buyers well in advance of preparing an offer. I expect my buyers to actually take time to look these over carefully ahead of time! I give homework.)

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,478 times
Are geodesic domes permitted in Nanawale?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM

281 posts, read 256,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I agree completely; I don't know why people think they can move to the Big Island and build cabins and shacks, crap in an outhouse and think it's alright. I'm sure these same people would be crying big boogers if someone built a shack and outhouse next to their home on the mainland.
You are absolutely correct, and make a point I attempted to convey in an earlier thread that has since been closed. Hawaii is a special place, not a dumping ground for, well, you use your word.
Unfortunately, more and more, it has become a dumping ground for people who don't like rules that exist for the common good, like permits, building codes etc., and think that tolerance of their intolerable malfeasance is somehow a virtue.

Tee Pees, Yurts, Caves, Plywood shacks....

800sf is very small. If a person can't manage even that, perhaps Hawaii is not the place for you. Perhaps Humboldt County, CA.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
800sf is very small. If a person can't manage even that, perhaps Hawaii is not the place for you.
Although, if you can live comfortably in 416sf, why not?

http://www.clarkhawaii.com/big-islan...arch%5Bzip%5D=

Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoecke View Post
Are geodesic domes permitted in Nanawale?
Nanawale Community Association, Inc

Go direct to the source. But most likely, the answer is YES, as long as you obtain the building permit and abide by the size and height limits specified by the association.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Although, if you can live comfortably in 416sf, why not?

I don't think the issue is what fraction of your house you actually live in, but what minimum size the CC&R for the subdivision specifies, and the need for all prospective home-builders to comply with these requirements. If you can't meet that requirement, which exists for the benefit of all, then build elsewhere.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think the issue is what fraction of your house you actually live in, but what minimum size the CC&R for the subdivision specifies, and the need for all prospective home-builders to comply with these requirements. If you can't meet that requirement, which exists for the benefit of all, then build elsewhere.
Yes, or work to change the silly law. Not everyone needs a big house.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Yes, or work to change the silly law. Not everyone needs a big house.
800sf = big house.?? It isn't even a 2 BR apartment? It's the concept of being a good neighbor. Putting a shack in a neighborhood of even tiny 800sf houses isn't being a good neighbor. Fighting existing rules that pre-exist your interest isn't being a good neighbor. People put money into their houses, relying, in large part, on the protection the CC&R yield to prevent the shackfication of the subdivision. This is basic stuff, folks.

Last edited by Flame Angel; 01-26-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
800sf = big house.?? It isn't even a 2 BR apartment? It's the concept of being a good neighbor. Putting a shack in a neighborhood of even tiny 800sf houses isn't being a good neighbor. Fighting existing rules that pre-exist your interest isn't being a good neighbor. People put money into their houses, relying, in large part, on the protection the CC&R yield to prevent the shackfication of the subdivision. This is basic stuff, folks.
Just because a house is smaller than what YOU think you need, does not make it a shack.

Our Tiny House Plans - Page 3 - Direct from the Designers (http://www.houseplanshomeplansfloorplans.com/plans/tiny_house_plans/?page=3 - broken link)

Building in Nanawale Estates-tiny-portland-cottage.jpg

Building in Nanawale Estates-2446705186_1a7898a371.jpg

Building in Nanawale Estates-original_24155106.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island