Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM

252 posts, read 659,312 times

Advertisements

Nanawale was $81 for 2012 and $77 for 2011. If its $85 per year this year then they go up every year seems like. I have not been notified of the increase but then again I was not notifed last year of the increase either or the year prior.

And yes the estates does have my correct mailing address.

In less then 5 years at this rate is will be over $100 for HOA's fee's for a less then a 1/4 acre lot. One of the more costly subdivisons per lot size ratio. Well Hawaiian Shores Rec is $300 annually the lots are a little bigger but they are closer to the Ocean, have a ocean park close by, tennis court, large swimming pool, nice rec center.

Don't get me wrong I like Nanawale. I just do not appreciate the annual rise in HOA fee's EVERY year.

Last edited by 1freespirit; 12-05-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
In less then 5 years at this rate is will be over $100 for HOA's fee's for a less then a 1/4 acre lot. One of the more costly subdivisons per lot size ratio.
I pay two HOA fees for lots about that size ~ approx $200 and $600. Of course, when dues are being charged, there is the expectation of there being a return value to the homeowner. If the HOA is not doing much of anything of value for the membership, then it will be a cheaper annual fee. "What are you doing with the fees?" is an important question to ask the Board/Management prior to buying.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Gosh - your lots are diffentaly not in HHP, Leilani, Nanawale, Ainaloa, Hawaiian beaches, Shores, Parks or Rec.

I'm just not used to paying any HOA fees as we have always owned a home/land with acerage and still do but not on the island as far as acerage.

We nestled here in Nanawale on a couple lots joined together for $190 per year. And hope to buy the next adjoining lot to make almost 3/4 of an acre.

Last edited by 1freespirit; 12-05-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM

No, and luckily, in place are progressive BODs in both areas that work towards increasing/holding property values for the membership (owners). On the flip side, the membership fees need to cover the expenses.

There is something "just right" for almost everybody here on the Big Island. Except for a "Big City", that is.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
There is something "just right" for almost everybody here on the Big Island. Except for a "Big City", that is.
Agreed there sure is!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM

26 posts, read 112,926 times
OP why in the world would you buy in a CCR neighborhood and then try and build a home smaller then what the CCR requires?

You are just asking for trouble. You are asking to be sued, and be thought of as the new idiot who is hurting everyone's property values.

Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but there are plenty of other pieces of land you could purchase and do whatever you want. People have bought land and built homes there to avoid people who do just what you are doing.....

Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigritchie View Post
OP why ....
Site hint: The OP probably won't answer, they have not logged in for 5 years. You can see when a member's last visit was by clicking on their name in their posting, and in the drop down menu select "View public profile".

Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 11,078 times
Hey I'm looking at land on Big Island.

First off, I agree with that person about small houses not having to be shacks. I also understand the idea that larger house restrictions help to mitigate the unforeseeable and sometimes indeterminable issue of "shackification" and other unfavorable (both community and economic) issues. Though it is entirely possible to have crappy situations in 1,000 sf or larger structures.

And really, no the Island is not a refuge for those looking to let loose the reigns of society. Sanitary practices and respect for property values are pretty basic issues. If they are forced into personal economic crisis while being members of the island community, then a lot of anger won't help resolve their situation either. If they need help, maybe you should mow their lawn for them, donate some flowers for the curb, something. If they are just getting places on Island because they plan on having poor practice in the face of other options, well then perhaps they need to face a few regulations. Building codes and sanitary regulations are, mostly, for the benefit of community members, whether they understand or appreciate them or not.

All that aside, I plan on considering responsible community practices and land stewardship. So I guess from what I've read thus far that Nanawale has had some issues. "Low rent" issues from what I gather. I think that is all the more reason to move in considerate and responsible community members.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 AM

A rise in HOA fees is usually concerning. It is important to keep in touch with the Association to make sure they are making good use of funds, and put a bug in their ear if you need to. As far as fees go, 85$ a YEAR and $100 a YEAR land tax. Come on, that's crazy affordable. Just one of my properties outside Chicago has 1500$ property tax.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 AM

And it's a marginal neighborhood in the Northern US. We don't even get good views or nature in that price. More like need for constant vigilance and frozen roads several months of the year. Enjoy your cheap island living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island