Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:12 PM

18 posts, read 93,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaka View Post
My Husband & I bought in Fern Forest by choice. We presently live on acreage in WA State up a logging road. We have two (2) companies and are soon to at least semi-retire. We liked being on the Hilo side of the island and wanted to be outside of town somewhat. This area fit our needs perfectly. The area I live in now in WA State is somewhat considered resort area/retired people with fixed income-we have people of all incomes here. We also have those that have moved in with incomes building large homes and we have those with not to much living on their land. We all respect & help each other when & if we're able. We recently got our building permits so be watching for another home to be going up in Fern Forest. We're all humans that need help from time to time and when I get there I want to be an asset to the community and help where I can. I will be moving in with the ALOHA attitude. We just spent three (3) weeks on the island and will return again soon. We've made lots of friends around the island and each time over we seem to make more and more. I don't care if it rains there!!! I'm from Washington State and believe me I know rain. We like the warmer climate and feel better health wise there. People there already think we're locals that have been living there for awhile. We have met a couple of our neighbors in Fern Forest and they were very nice and did welcome us.
When are you going to move to Fern Forest?

:-D

Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 20,658 times
Default How's Fern Forest doing?

Can't wait to get back on the Big Island. We're going over in June 2008 as we have started the process of building. Not sure when we will be there full-time but am excited about the fact that someday soon we will be buying just one way tickets. I personally feel that Fern Forest is one of the best kept secrets on the Big Island and LOVE it the way it is. Our property is on Omega

Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM

3 posts, read 45,057 times
I haven't been back home to Hawaii in a long time...but my fondest memory is of somewhere in what must have been Eden Roc:

Just inside the subdivision there was a sign nailed up on a tree 'God is the Answer'. Further (and wilder) in, there was another sign 'Beer is the Answer'.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM

18 posts, read 93,684 times
Default You and I will be neighbors

My piece of paradise is on Kaleponi and Middle. I'm just now getting a little area cleared. It was completely overgrown and natural. I can't wait to see it with it's little living area. 3 phat acres. i just want to go there and listen to nature and love it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaka View Post
Can't wait to get back on the Big Island. We're going over in June 2008 as we have started the process of building. Not sure when we will be there full-time but am excited about the fact that someday soon we will be buying just one way tickets. I personally feel that Fern Forest is one of the best kept secrets on the Big Island and LOVE it the way it is. Our property is on Omega

Old 07-05-2009, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,408 times
Default High Speed Internet in Fern Forest

Are there any options for high speed internet access in Fern Forest? No cable access from Time-Warner and Hawaiian Telecom doesn't provide it in my area (Kaleponi and Captains Drive). Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,277 times
i have lived in fern forest for over 20 years, this is a nice community. we are farmers, but we can't help that there are some unsavory people here, but, i think it is alot like any where. unsavory types are in ALL neighborhoods. we do have guns, thats because this is still a wild land, there are pigs and dogs that attack our livestock. don't be so quick to rate a place as scary to live in, when you are the scared one. do you need gates to make you feel safe? go find a nice gated place to live.
we live free, that means no gates, except at our driveways, to keep our animals in.
aloha

Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
The question is what do many people farm in fern forest?

Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
The question is what do many people farm in fern forest?
Funny you mention that... Today's Hawaii Tribune Herald contains an article about a woman charged with operating a large, indoor growing operation on Pikake Road in Fern Acres with 155 plants as well as crystal meth.

In true Hawaii style, the local judge allowed her free on only $8,000 bail. Her monthly electric bill for all those grow lights was probably more than the bail.

Last edited by mdand3boys; 04-01-2010 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 13,277 times
fern forest and fern acres are two different places.
we grow orchids, antherium, cows, sheep, chickens, and some people have medical marijuanna lic and grow paka. every one has bad apples. and i don't like meth heads either. but, pot and meth do not go together.
cops use that to keep pot evil.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: unnecessary commentary

Old 04-17-2010, 07:11 PM

160 posts, read 485,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDrive Paul View Post
Are there any options for high speed internet access in Fern Forest? No cable access from Time-Warner and Hawaiian Telecom doesn't provide it in my area (Kaleponi and Captains Drive). Any suggestions appreciated.
You can go with Hughsnet. Big Island satellite will install it for 800 and charge u monthly but its a 24 mo agreement and no guaranteed speed. You can try Mobi hele or mifi for 7 days and see how it works for you. Im using the mifi unit as the hele wont work back here (on Jungle King). But it may work ok up on Kaleponi. I have a friend on Leila and hers works fine. If it doesnt work you can take it back and get a refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island